Most physical UConn player ever | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Most physical UConn player ever

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Who’s JJ?
Oh, Lordy...merely the toughest, pound for pound, inch for inch, woman perhaps to ever play for the Huskies. Recruited by Geno, outta the tough parts of DC, back when UConn was barely expanding beyond New England. Remember, Lobo was MA, Wolters was pretty local, as was Sales..did all the dirty work for the first championship team in '95, then became assistant coach for many years. Two stories come to mind. First, when Geno lost his mind over officiating in some game, and was gonna go after the ref - he said, afterwards "I knew I could get past Chris, she's skinny. I knew I could get past Tonya (Cardoza, now coach at Temple), she's small. I knew I wasn't gonna get past Jamelle." And, second story, I believe from John Walter's "The Same River Twice". Carla Berube (now, legendary coach at Tufts) was screwing up a practice, when a pup. Geno kicked her off the court. Carla says, seriously upset as she leaves "Tell Jamelle I'm sorry". She wasn't worrying about upsetting Geno as much as she was worrying about upsetting Jamelle.
1550972573445.png

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Caroline Doty had a certain way about moving the corner of her arms (Otherwise known as her elbow to chin trick!)

I like the PFs and Centers, but there is something to be said for the under 6' brigade enforce Uconn's will. Pound for pound, I think Shea was probably the toughest meanest player at Uconn, but there have been so many - and sweet little 'butter in her mouth' Sue Bird wasn't actually an angel between the lines either.

Reaction Score
Comment: I think some folks may be conflating competitive/intense with physical.

And I would say it's hard to classify most guards as truly physical because they spend so much of the game at arms length of their man. Even if they are physical in the body-to-body moments, they are still just 'physical for a guard.' In contrast to front-line players, esp posts, who spend much of the game bodying-up their man.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Caroline Doty would be one of the first to throw a punch at an opposing player. She had that Philly attitude. I believe she had a tooth knocked out in a HS game and either put it back in place or gave it to the trainer and kept playing.

Though she combined physicality with athleticism and finesse, Gabby Williams wouldn’t knock players over, but she would rob them blind, jump over them, and run by them.

I think we have had only one player whose own father called her “a nasty piece of business.” On ice or the hardwood, Kia Nurse was a very physical player.

Reaction Score
No one UConn WCBB player stands out to me as being "the most physical". If this is some sub-rosa reference to "chippy", there have been dozens of players who seemed to me to have been more than willing to get rough but knew there would be hell to pay with Geno and CD if they did so.

If, however, we're talking about using one's body to its best advantage, I think the newb Christyn Williams is becoming a candidate for the title. She uses her sturdiness to establish preposterous amounts of territory under the basket for someone who is 5'8". She knocks defenders aside like bowling pins when she drives. She keeps her body between the ball and the defender(s) on breakaways which usually keeps her from getting stuffed and often results in an "and one". It's perfectly clean basketball and I love it.

By the way, I read somewhere yesterday she sat out so much of the last game because she had (has?) a cold. I don't know if she's feeling better for today's game.

Reaction Score
Bam Bam would get my vote! When she came into a game you just knew that an opposing player was going down.

Reaction Score
Revised:
  1. Bam Bam
  2. Jamelle
  3. Shea
  4. Tamika Williams
  5. Asjha
  6. Willnett

Reaction Score
Funny how UConn fans celebrate their physical players but other teams’ players are dirty or thugs

Too broad a criticism to make by a long shot (to mix a metaphor or two). Not all UConn fans celebrate thuggish play as your criticism states. Snarky too, as there is nothing "funny" about such hypocrisy, which DOES EXIST in SOME UConn fans.

Reaction Score
If, however, we're talking about using one's body to its best advantage, I think the newb Christyn Williams is becoming a candidate for the title. She uses her sturdiness to establish preposterous amounts of territory under the basket for someone who is 5'8". She knocks defenders aside like bowling pins when she drives. She keeps her body between the ball and the defender(s) on breakaways which usually keeps her from getting stuffed and often results in an "and one". It's perfectly clean basketball and I love it.

By the way, I read somewhere yesterday she sat out so much of the last game because she had (has?) a cold. I don't know if she's feeling better for today's game.
Yeah and it helps that she’s 5’11” :D:D

2018-19 Women's Basketball Roster - University of Connecticut Athletics

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Too broad a criticism to make by a long shot (to mix a metaphor or two). Not all UConn fans celebrate thuggish play as your criticism states. Snarky too, as there is nothing "funny" about such hypocrisy, which DOES EXIST in SOME UConn fans.
I said UConn’s physical players. You’re the one that inferred that I meant dirty.

Reaction Score
I said UConn’s physical players. You’re the one that inferred that I meant dirty.

Here's your post: "Funny how UConn fans celebrate their physical players but other teams’ players are dirty or thugs". You say "dirty".

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Here's your post: "Funny how UConn fans celebrate their physical players but other teams’ players are dirty or thugs". You say "dirty".
Not going to waste time arguing with you. You are simply misreading my post

Reaction Score
Funny how UConn fans celebrate their physical players but other teams’ players are dirty or thugs
Bad Mommy

You said “thugs”

I know I know —-“do as I say and not as I do”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc