Most Improved | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Most Improved

Reaction Score
Obviously the most improved is Paige's knee. Remember how many BY "fans" and "doctors" were expressing the opinion that Paige should not play at all this year?

In all seriousness, Azzi and Caroline started the year as high school kids having to play on the best D1 team in the country. Considering where they started from and where they are right now, I'll go with Caroline. I will say that I can't really disagree with any of the posts in this thread.

Reaction Score
An argument, as has been, can be made for so many of our players being most improved but the beauty of it is that OUR Team has greatly improved. As the season began it seemed this would again be a 'Paige centric" team with an influx of Azzi Fudd supplemented by major senior contributions with Aaliyah Edwards in the mix and a spattering of Dorka - and rest not so much. The chemistry wasn't really there, Azzi seemed to still be fighting residual injuries, Edwards didn't show up, Dorka wasn't yet clicking and then we lost Paige and the dominos began to fall.

After some unbelievable lows we started to see light, Caroline sparked the offense and Nika the defense and pushing pace on both ends, Evina found her footing as an instant change maker off the bench, Liv and Christyn embraced their hoped for senior leadership roles, Dorka emerged as the force we had hoped she would, Azzi hit threes, pull-ups, drives and played great defense and to cap it off the beast of the East, Aaliyah came back with a vengeance. Things were gelling, we were seeing "UConn basketball" again and just as the regular season ended we got Paige back.

A nine player rotation with constant subbing, every player contributing, excellent pressure defense, efficient offense and simply beautiful basketball and still room before we hit our ceiling is how this team plans on hitting the dance floor. We, as a fan base, are the luckiest in the country to follow this group of women as they finish out this made for movie season!

Reaction Score
The UConn 2021-2022 WBB Team: dramatically changed from a Paige-centric, rely-on-Paige team to each one growing to contribute significantly to their emergence as a formidable team. While they haven't reached their peak as a team, the synchronicity in mind, spirit and effort has been forged in the crucible of setbacks emerging from the tunnel of gloom immersed in intermittent dark clouds to a rare unity and caring.....laying the foundation for rapid growth that we now witness.

They are but at the start of their final journey for this year, still far from the polished team they seek to be but brimming in joyful exuberance for each success large or small by and for each other. And they now carry the aura of resilience.....an assurance that there is no obstacle they cannot overcome, each one contributing as both their unique and overlapping skills are called upon solve every riddle in split-seconds time.

As they now refine and polish the each element needed to function as perfectly a team as possible, it bodes well for their quest: their holy grail, the NC #12!
BlueSkyGLW-wow-love your writing. Have any novels out there I can get me hands on? Robert Frost would approve:)

Reaction Score
I think that every player on this team has improved mostly because of Paige's injury including Paige. Everyone has played so much better as the season progressed. I think that both Geno and Paige has learned that Paige does not have to carry this team on their backs. 9 players playing team basketball with great defense are a formidable example of team play.

Reaction Score
BlueSkyGLW-wow-love your writing. Have any novels out there I can get me hands on? Robert Frost would approve:)
Thanks, Sorry, no novels or even short stories. Working on something technical: classical singing technique - describing the method taught by someone who made her operatic debut in the 1920s in Philadelphia and later taught.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
BTW, I went to college in Colorado back in the late 70s, early 80s and there was a Nuggets player named Dan Issel and whenever he shot a 3, the announcer would say, "Issel with the Missile!" So it's shame we can't say when Fudd hits a 3, "Fudd with the Scud!" But I guess that kind of cold war missile terminology is outdated nowadays, lol...
However, I am waiting for some announcer, after calling a series of Azzi's successful shots, say that the opposing defense appears "beFuddled". That would certainly have applied to the Tennessee defense in the early February game.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
However, I am waiting for some announcer, after calling a series of Azzi's successful shots, say that the opposing defense appears "beFuddled". That would certainly have applied to the Tennessee defense in the early February game.
I want to see a run out lay up call, "Fudd with the wabbit".

Reaction Score
Dorka! Evina and Aaliyah have improved a lot, but mainly by getting back to where they were last year and then some. As for Caroline and Azzi, I think it was more the opportunity to play and reveal their talents rather than improvement. Dorka is harder to judge because I did not see her much for OS, but if she played in the Big Ten, the way she started the season here, her improvement has been remarkable. She has consistently been a good shooter so I think that aspect of her game is a wash. However, in every other way as a Big, I think she was weak at the start of the season. Her offensive and defensive rebounding was poor, her defense was weak and late, her passing was unexceptional, and she often seemed confused and out of sync with our offense. All of that has changed dramatically since the start of the year. She’s become very physical on defense and with rebounding, a much more active and aggressive inside shooter, a shot blocker, and a decent passer. She exudes UCONN character, skill set and team mentality. I’ve gone from thinking that it would not matter one way or the other if she comes back next year as a replacement for Olivia to believing that if she does choose to come back, it will go a long way to solving our Big question marks next season. I understand why she won't comeback, but I hope she does,

Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree on Czinaro vs Liv. Liv will be taken far ahead of Czinaro, for the simple reason that Czinaro is a fish out of water if she’s more than 8 feet from the basket. She has absolutely no outside shot, whereas Liv is tall and is an excellent shooter from anywhere, including beyond the 3pt line. Not sure, but I don’t think Czinaro has ever made a three in her college career. Down low she’s a beast though, and is a good foul shooter. She will need to develop some kind of outside shot to be a high pick in the draft. Same goes for her ball handling and footwork.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of the Nasty Nine, all but Paige have improved since early in the season. Liya looks like Thor of Yore! Nika was ready to rip someone’s heart and lungs out last night. Christyn was really pumped and is now the Queen of the Post-season—first player to be on the All-Conference Tourney Team 4x since Stewie. That’s pretty heady company.
Of the NINE I expect Fudd, your find, to have a breakout, attacking, scoring, Tourney. Along those lines I expect Caroline The Chamer to play up to her true potential. Scoring, Defending, cheering, just being the C factor.

Reaction Score
Dorka! Evina and Aaliyah have improved a lot, but mainly by getting back to where they were last year and then some. As for Caroline and Azzi, I think it was more the opportunity to play and reveal their talents rather than improvement. Dorka is harder to judge because I did not see her much for OS, but if she played in the Big Ten, the way she started the season here, her improvement has been remarkable. She has consistently been a good shooter so I think that aspect of her game is a wash. However, in every other way as a Big, I think she was weak at the start of the season. Her offensive and defensive rebounding was poor, her defense was weak and late, her passing was unexceptional, and she often seemed confused and out of sync with our offense. All of that has changed dramatically since the start of the year. She’s become very physical on defense and with rebounding, a much more active and aggressive inside shooter, a shot blocker, and a decent passer. She exudes UCONN character, skill set and team mentality. I’ve gone from thinking that it would not matter one way or the other if she comes back next year as a replacement for Olivia to believing that if she does choose to come back, it will go a long way to solving our Big question marks next season. I understand why she won't comeback, but I hope she does,
I like your nice words for Dorka, Evina I agree. I do think after being Freshmen, regardless of the opportunities, they both improved in each game. Caroline is my favorite. Both she and AZZI improved. I expect them both to be factors as Geno runs the 6 game ahead. Edwards, was this good last year. But she go her Mo jo back. I also agree both Azzi, Dorak, Caoline, even Williams got opportunities to show how good they could be. There is opportunity and there is making the most of it. These Freshmen made the most of it..

Reaction Score
Obviously the most improved is Paige's knee. Remember how many BY "fans" and "doctors" were expressing the opinion that Paige should not play at all this year?

In all seriousness, Azzi and Caroline started the year as high school kids having to play on the best D1 team in the country. Considering where they started from and where they are right now, I'll go with Caroline. I will say that I can't really disagree with any of the posts in this thread.
I love Azzi and Caroline, and their play over the 2nd half of the season, but over the past 6 or 7 games I think the winner (if not then the equal of Azzi and Caroline in improvement) is Edwards.

Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree on Czinaro vs Liv. Liv will be taken far ahead of Czinaro, for the simple reason that Czinaro is a fish out of water if she’s more than 8 feet from the basket. She has absolutely no outside shot, whereas Liv is tall and is an excellent shooter from anywhere, including beyond the 3pt line. Not sure, but I don’t think Czinaro has ever made a three in her college career. Down low she’s a beast though, and is a good foul shooter. She will need to develop some kind of outside shot to be a high pick in the draft. Same goes for her ball handling and footwork.
I agree, Conn, that Liv will be taken ahead of Czinano, but your opinion that Monika is a fish out of water more than eight feet from the basket doesn't equate with her being an 84 percent free throw shooter. The young woman has a great stroke and touch and I believe could well develop into a good three-point shooter, most likely better than Liv will be. Why would she shoot 3s for Iowa? Both players have strengths and weaknesses but I wouldn't discount how the right team might well capitalize on Czinano's amazing repertoire of shots and her footwork (without traveling) in the paint.

Reaction Score
Nika. She’s cleaned up the things that needed cleaning and speeded up her learning curve.
Yup. I agree 100%. Nika has improved so much. Her decision making on/off the ball, her assist to turnover ratio has improved, and her has gotten better with her rebounding. Definitely my first choice of player that has improved.

Reaction Score
I agree, Conn, that Liv will be taken ahead of Czinano, but your opinion that Monika is a fish out of water more than eight feet from the basket doesn't equate with her being an 84 percent free throw shooter. The young woman has a great stroke and touch and I believe could well develop into a good three-point shooter, most likely better than Liv will be. Why would she shoot 3s for Iowa? Both players have strengths and weaknesses but I wouldn't discount how the right team might well capitalize on Czinano's amazing repertoire of shots and her footwork (without traveling) in the paint.
Your statement shows you don’t know basketball. Do you know what a jump shot is??? And how important the legs are beyond 10 feet? A foul shot is basically a set shot, or even an underhand shot as some famous pros have used, or a slow release jump shot without the jump. Foul shots and jump shots are quite different. So trying to “equate” good foul shooting with good shooting from downtown is faulty. A good “stroke” as you call it from 18 feet needs a quicker release than at the foul line, leg power (and strong forearm flexors and extensors) which gives power and arc to the shot AND the ability to shoot over any outstretched hands. Beyond 18 feet, say 20 ft and a few inches which is where the line is now, although that will change soon, needs even more arc, I think they are moving it to 22 and change.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nika. She’s cleaned up the things that needed cleaning and speeded up her learning curve.
I hadn’t thought about her. I’d add to that that she seems to have come to terms with the idea that she doesn’t need to hold the other team to a shut out, or score every bucket. She seems really comfortable in focusing on the things that she can do to help the team win. Coaches talk about “identity” quite a bit. Nika seems very comfortable with hers.

Reaction Score
Isn't it amazing that three pages of posters have in turn
nominated every single member of the "nasty-nine."
to be the "most improved" player

Must be a helluva team.
Totally agree, this is a fun team to watch and root for. Not only have the players all improved, even Geno seems to have improved too. This was the year he was most deserving of the coach of the year. Go Huskies

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree… from adversity comes change and a new sacrifice/challenge. Bravo Ladies!
This year‘s adversity wasn’t fun, but undoubtedly it’s shaped this team into something special. The hottest fires make the hardest steal.

Reaction Score
This year‘s adversity wasn’t fun, but undoubtedly it’s shaped this team into something special. The hottest fires make the hardest steal.
The adversity wasn't fun yet it made the season more fun.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I hadn’t thought about her. I’d add to that that she seems to have come to terms with the idea that she doesn’t need to hold the other team to a shut out, or score every bucket. She seems really comfortable in focusing on the things that she can do to help the team win. Coaches talk about “identity” quite a bit. Nika seems very comfortable with hers.
Geno said earlier this year that he told players he only expected them to be the best player at what they do, not at everything. It seems to me Nika has embraced that.

I can imagine the discussion:

Geno: Nika, what are you really good at?
Nika: I’m a good defender.
Geno: Then be the best defender on the court and don’t worry so much about scoring. Your defense will lead to offensive opportunities.

Doesnt it seem her offense picked up when her defense went from great to amazing?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom