More on Lopez Sénéchal | The Boneyard

More on Lopez Sénéchal

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno expressing his feelings about Lou
“Without Lou, I don’t know where we’d be,”

Lopez Sénéchal has watched many UConn games on TV the past few years and was excited to play with Bueckers.

“Not just with her, obviously the whole team, but I was definitely loving all the workouts I was having with her, and getting very excited to share the court with her,” Lopez Sénéchal said. “I'm going to have to share it in another way.”

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The more you read about Geno's view of Lou...her abilities and work ethic...the bigger your smile gets.
His expectations are considerable and he would not go public with them unless he felt she would
embrace that pressure. Just delighted that we have her...and nobody else does.

Reaction Score
Lou seems like a perfect fit both in her game and personality. It is going to be a lot of fun watching this team play this year. Fingers crossed everybody stays healthy. Along with whose coming back and the other three new players, Geno and company have assembled a really talented, versatile and hungry squad. It's great to be a Uconn wcbb fan!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Wow, reading what Geno says, and especially what Lou says is really giving me confidence going into this season. I love her confidence, the same as Carolines. We all have to put the name Paige out of our consciousness and put away any "what if" thoughts, because I believe this season will be a surprise to everyone with the team that we have. I believe Lou will be one of our "go to" players and will watch as our opponents eventually fall one by one to the once "shorthanded" Huskies. Looking forward to rock, because more than ever, "Everybody Eats".

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The more you read about Geno's view of Lou...her abilities and work ethic...the bigger your smile gets.
His expectations are considerable and he would not go public with them unless he felt she would
embrace that pressure. Just delighted that we have her...and nobody else does.
The best article on Lopez-Senechal I’ve read to date. It tells us how Geno really feels about her. ”I don’t know where we would be without her.” Those are strong words to say about any player. This article also helps us to know how well Lou is adapting to the team and Geno’s system.

My expectations for her have increased after reading this article. We don’t need a savior, just someone that can come in a carry part of the load consistently. If she can be a “go-to” player, all the better.

Judging from what I’m reading about Lopez-Senechal and Betancourt, It appears to me that Geno and his staff hit two home runs this summer. No one player can replace Paige, but UConn’s ability to bring in Lopez-Senechal and Betancourt will lessen the sting. The more I read about these two, the more my expectations of them grow.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think she’ll be a surprisingly effective “sixth man.” Actually we’ll have a couple of those this year, I expect.
That's the way I see it. You can expect one of your guards to be "off" on any particular night. With Lopez-Senechal and Bettencourt at his disposal, no worries. for Geno. One of them will be "on" every game. It happens to every player, even at the pro level. No one is immune. The Sun's DeWanna Bonner, usually their leading scorer and "go-to" clutch player didn't have it this past Sunday versus the Aces. She finished with 3 points on 1-9 shooting. :confused: The Suns lost that game by 3.

One or both of them should be warm enough off the bench to score some early baskets for us in the first quarter. As you suggest, this year, Geno will have two 6th men on the bench. I'm hoping both of these players prove their mettle and dependability early in the season against some of the top ranked teams they'll play. The thing that excites me most is both of these players WANT TO BE HERE and are eager to show their wares. And like Ice Brandy has already said, "I'll do anything" to help this team win. :cool:

Can't wait for November 6 so that we can get our first look at this team. The first real test will come a week later against Texas on Nov 14 in Gampel on national TV (FS1). Last year Texas finished the year ranked 6th at 29-7. The team Vic Schaefer brings into Gampel figures to be at least as good as that if not better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
L-S is a 5th year player with 4 years of D1 experience. Bettencourt is 17, and her resume is mostly this past summer's Euro U18 tournament. L-S arrived in June. Bettencourt has a far larger portion of catching up to do. I'll be hopeful and hope that she can contribute by January.

Reaction Score
The best article on Lopez-Senechal I’ve read to date. It tells us how Geno really feels about her. ”I don’t know where we would be without her.” Those are strong words to say about any player. This article also helps us to know how well Lou is adapting to the team and Geno’s system.

My expectations for her have increased after reading this article. We don’t need a savior, just someone that can come in a carry part of the load consistently. If she can be a “go-to” player, all the better.

Judging from what I’m reading about Lopez-Senechal and Betancourt, It appears to me that Geno and his staff hit two home runs this summer. No one player can replace Paige, but UConn’s ability to bring in Lopez-Senechal and Betancourt will lessen the sting. The more I read about these two, the more my expectations of them grow.
At these preseason interviews Geno has been known to present "high praise" to move one forward or to put one on notice. In any case this is High High praise from the MASTER.
You just saw 750,000 UCWBB fans exhale. Now, Lou has to deliver. The best part is Lou is not intimidated by Geno, the UConn logo, or her new surroundings

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When Geno et al. picked up Lou, it was a nice addition to make up for the loss of Christyn and Evina. We could add her offensive prowess to that to Paige Buckets and Azzi Buckets. Now, she has to be Lou Buckets. But I like what I read. She can get any shot she wants against the practice players. She shot 40% from the arc and 80% on FTs over the past 3 years, despite the defense being focused on her. If the defense is focused on Azzi, I can see bing-bing-bing, Lou nailing mid-range jumpers at will. If the defense focuses on Lou and gives Azzi room, well, that's just plain stupid. Azzi shot 43% from the arc (off-year for her) and 90% on FTs. She's the best shooter since Kaleena, at least. Azzi and Lou will make a great pair. Paige would have made it a killer trio. Hopefully, Caroline can shoot high percentage from outside.

Also keep in mind that the Fairfield AD told Geno that Lou was the best kid he had encountered in decades. As with so many Huskies, Lou is a great person as well as a great player.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Caroline was so amazing for such a long stretch that it’s easy to forget she was just a freshman. Her shooting was in line with other rookies.
And it's because of that - that we're not concerned about Caroline. We pretty much know what we're going to get from her. She's already proven herself. She didn't forget how to shoot over the summer. She also knows the system better to begin THIS season than she did this time last year. Now after 16 months in the system, she knows what she's doing!!! :cool:

It's the newbies that remain a mystery until that first game against Northeastern on Thurs Nov 10. What they do in practice is nice, but we want to see them in a regulation game with referees and a crowd against another Division 1 team. I like to wait until after the 5th game of the season (their 2 game trip to Oregon) before I form any opinions on the team or any individual players. Five games (Northeastern, Texas, NC State, Duke and Iowa/Oregon St.) gives me a better "sample size" to make observations, evaluations, form opinions and draw conclusions. Anybody can have a bad game.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And it's because of that - that we're not concerned about Caroline. We pretty much know what we're going to get from her. She's already proven herself. She didn't forget how to shoot over the summer. She also knows the system better to begin THIS season than she did this time last year. Now after 16 months in the system, she knows what she's doing!!! :cool:

It's the newbies that remain a mystery until that first game against Northeastern on Thurs Nov 10. What they do in practice is nice, but we want to see them in a regulation game with referees and a crowd against another Division 1 team. I like to wait until after the 5th game of the season (their 2 game trip to Oregon) before I form any opinions on the team or its individual players. Five games (Northeastern, Texas, NC State, Duke and Iowa/Oregon St.) gives me a better "sample size" to make evaluations form opinions and draw conclusions.

I agree--we'll have a better sense of pretty much everyone after those first 5 games. I'm actually confident in Lou. I'm hopeful that Aubrey is back to her old self, Caroline is playing without pain, and Nika is a more willing shooter. I'm especially curious about the freshman. I think Ice could be the Big East Freshman of the Year. Lou could be the Newcomer of the Year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
When Geno et al. picked up Lou, it was a nice addition to make up for the loss of Christyn and Evina. We could add her offensive prowess to that to Paige Buckets and Azzi Buckets. Now, she has to be Lou Buckets. But I like what I read. She can get any shot she wants against the practice players. She shot 40% from the arc and 80% on FTs over the past 3 years, despite the defense being focused on her. If the defense is focused on Azzi, I can see bing-bing-bing, Lou nailing mid-range jumpers at will. If the defense focuses on Lou and gives Azzi room, well, that's just plain stupid. Azzi shot 43% from the arc (off-year for her) and 90% on FTs. She's the best shooter since Kaleena, at least. Azzi and Lou will make a great pair. Paige would have made it a killer trio. Hopefully, Caroline can shoot high percentage from outside.

Also keep in mind that the Fairfield AD told Geno that Lou was the best kid he had encountered in decades. As with so many Huskies, Lou is a great person as well as a great player.
I like hearing about her getting any shot she wants in practice too. If she's doing it in practice, she'll do it in real games. Once she gains confidence in her ability to play at this level and score at will, Lou is going to be scary good. ;) I doubt Lou will see any double-teams this year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I agree--we'll have a better sense of pretty much everyone after those first 5 games. I'm actually confident in Lou. I'm hopeful that Aubrey is back to her old self, Caroline is playing without pain, and Nika is a more willing shooter. I'm especially curious about the freshman. I think Ice could be the Big East Freshman of the Year. Lou could be the Newcomer of the Year.
Me too. ;)

With 4 years of D-1 experience behind her, Lou is less of an enigma than the others. There's no substitution for experience. The other newbies have none. So, we wait and see.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im thinkin Azzi Caroline and Edwards will be depended on to carry the load. Lou will be instance offense off the bench. IMO Amari will be a big surprise. Our incoming freshman Ice and Patterson will have their moments but sometime in Jan or Feb they will breakout and then lookout. Still the key will me Nika. She has to be a threat and early on score in double figures which will show she is a treat keeping defenses honest which means not leaving her alone and double teaming her team mates. This is a really talented UConn team. Really really talented. The sooner they grow together as a team the tougher they will be to beat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom