More on Lopez Sénéchal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

More on Lopez Sénéchal

Reaction Score
Caroline is an excellent shooter- anyone worried about that will be reassured once season starts.. Not only was her hip an issue, but with the injuries that occurred to so many teammates, it fell on her to score a lot and defenses put extra pressure on her. She sometimes had to hoist up shots quickly without time to get settled or square up properly. I can’t wait to witness her torch the nets this season!

Reaction Score
Im thinkin Azzi Caroline and Edwards will be depended on to carry the load. Lou will be instance offense off the bench. IMO Amari will be a big surprise. Our incoming freshman Ice and Patterson will have their moments but sometime in Jan or Feb they will breakout and then lookout. Still the key will me Nika. She has to be a threat and early on score in double figures which will show she is a treat keeping defenses honest which means not leaving her alone and double teaming her team mates. This is a really talented UConn team. Really really talented. The sooner they grow together as a team the tougher they will be to beat.
Just curious why you think Amari will be a big surprise. We haven’t heard much so far on her progress. I’m hoping you are correct.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Caroline is an excellent shooter- anyone worried about that will be reassured once season starts.. Not only was her hip an issue, but with the injuries that occurred to so many teammates, it fell on her to score a lot and defenses put extra pressure on her. She sometimes had to hoist up shots quickly without time to get settled or square up properly. I can’t wait to witness her torch the nets this season!
Caroline got whacked in the head 3 games in a row. Even though there was no concussion, I doubt Steph Curry could be at the top of his form after that. I think her shooting from high school and mid-season last year is representative.

Reaction Score
As many of us have maintained our strongest team has Lou and Caroline on the wings and Azzi at PG. Nothing has changed.

Reaction Score
As many of us have maintained our strongest team has Lou and Caroline on the wings and Azzi at PG. Nothing has changed.
I like the sound of this unit. But I still think Azzi may be more valuable to us at the 2. This is why we need Nika to improve her offense, to make herself a competitive pg against the top teams. If she can’t do this, then she’ll be a spot player — useful for defense, but Geno won’t use her in the 4th quarter of close games. That’s okay, but it means more time Azzi has to spend at pg. I’m sure she can do it — she may turn out to be one of the best point guards in the country if she plays it most of the time. But I worry about wearing her out in that role, and I’d rather have her play off the ball.

Reaction Score
I think she’ll be a surprisingly effective “sixth man.” Actually we’ll have a couple of those this year, I expect.

and a 7th, 8th & 9th that can contribute.

Reaction Score
I like the sound of this unit. But I still think Azzi may be more valuable to us at the 2. This is why we need Nika to improve her offense, to make herself a competitive pg against the top teams. If she can’t do this, then she’ll be a spot player — useful for defense, but Geno won’t use her in the 4th quarter of close games. That’s okay, but it means more time Azzi has to spend at pg. I’m sure she can do it — she may turn out to be one of the best point guards in the country if she plays it most of the time. But I worry about wearing her out in that role, and I’d rather have her play off the ball.

Kelly Faris was more than a spot player. She played 4th periods.

I agree that Fudd is best at the 2 but necessity could change that. Fudd may be the best 1 on the team right now. I would bet on that. Two years ago Bueckers moved from the 1 to the 2 mostly because the other guards couldn't produce enough points. I think the story may be different this year. At least I hope so.

Reaction Score

I agree that Fudd is best at the 2 but necessity could change that. Fudd

I agree that Fudd is best at the 2 but necessity could change that. Fudd may be the best 1 on the team right now. I would bet on that. Two years ago Bueckers moved from the 1 to the 2 mostly because the other guards couldn't produce enough points. I think the story may be different this year. At least I hope so.
Kelly Faris could finish in the lane on drives and midrange jumpers in the half court offense. Nika cannot currently do that. If Nika can add this to her game, she will be comparable to Kelly Faris. I’m betting she can.

Paige mostly played the 2 in hs. Amaya Battle started at the 1 at Hopkins in Paige’s final years. When Paige got to UConn, Geno wanted her to run the show from the beginning, and this meant playing her at the 1 sometimes freshman year. But he also liked having her off the ball. It was pg by committee for much of that season. Sophomore year, Paige played the one more often pre-injury, and mostly played the 1 when she returned. R

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Kelly Faris could finish in the lane on drives and midrange jumpers in the half court offense. Nika cannot currently do that. If Nika can add this to her game, she will be comparable to Kelly Faris. I’m betting she can.

Paige mostly played the 2 in hs. Amaya Battle started at the 1 at Hopkins in Paige’s final years. When Paige got to UConn, Geno wanted her to run the show from the beginning, and this meant playing her at the 1 sometimes freshman year. But he also liked having her off the ball. It was pg by committee for much of that season. Sophomore year, Paige played the one more often pre-injury, and mostly played the 1 when she returned. R
Every clip I saw of Paige at Hopkins,. she was bringing the ball up at least 90% of the time

Reaction Score

Paige would bring the ball up against teams like Wayzata (sp?) But you are right that Cosgriff had others do it for the most part. But she has always considered herself a pg and that's where I want her next season. The leader of the band, so to speak.

Reaction Score
Cosgriff saved Bueckers' energy by having someone else bring up the ball. Hopkins was as talent-filled as an AAU team. But Bueckers was the leader on the floor and she wants to have the ball on every possession. So do I. At least for one season.

Reaction Score
Every clip I saw of Paige at Hopkins,. she was bringing the ball up at least 90% of the time
I don’t know about clips, but I’ve watched a few dozen full games from Paige’s time there and that’s not what I saw. She was definitely the focus of the offense for at least her last three years and sometimes played pg. But most of the time she played off the ball, especially in the final two years.

And just to clarify, bringing the ball up the court is not always a clear indicator of who the pg is on a team. For example, when teams tried to press Hopkins, the response was to get the ball to Paige, after which the press became pointless, or even too risky.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Geno can use alot of different combinations this season. Azzi at the point, Nika at the point maybe even point guard by committee. I say that knowing we have bigs who can handle the ball not at the point but when they receive the ball. One point I would like to make. The reason why Paige is hurt is because she played to many minutes in to many games before she came to UConn. It was expected that at some point she may have an injury. She needs to heal and get healthy and maybe even play less minutes. Next season KK and Ashlynn arrive which should give Paige a break, and she needs a break to heal and be as effective or almost as effective as she was her freshman season.

Reaction Score

At the end of last year before Paige returned, when Nika went out of the game, Fudd was a solid 1 and even when Nika came in, Fudd was the best passer. Fudd still got her shot off and did a good job getting UConn into their motion offense with great cuts. Would have no issue if she had to play a few minutes at the point. Would open up the floor for everyone else.

Reaction Score
Geno can use alot of different combinations this season. Azzi at the point, Nika at the point maybe even point guard by committee. I say that knowing we have bigs who can handle the ball not at the point but when they receive the ball. One point I would like to make. The reason why Paige is hurt is because she played to many minutes in to many games before she came to UConn. It was expected that at some point she may have an injury. She needs to heal and get healthy and maybe even play less minutes. Next season KK and Ashlynn arrive which should give Paige a break, and she needs a break to heal and be as effective or almost as effective as she was her freshman season.
One of the most ridiculous statements I've seen on here. Expected to be injured by who besides you? B. Stewart, like many others played just as many games and minutes of HS ball as Bueckers did and went through 4 years at UConn with no problem. How is Bueckers any different?

Reaction Score
Wow, reading what Geno says, and especially what Lou says is really giving me confidence going into this season. I love her confidence, the same as Carolines. We all have to put the name Paige out of our consciousness and put away any "what if" thoughts, because I believe this season will be a surprise to everyone with the team that we have. I believe Lou will be one of our "go to" players and will watch as our opponents eventually fall one by one to the once "shorthanded" Huskies. Looking forward to rock, because more than ever, "Everybody Eats".
. Are you stealing the first page of @Tonyc's many postings??

I hope all that everyone here think LOU is accurate. I know she was the leader and leading scorer for Fairfield. Fairfield isn't ND, UCLA, Marquette, OR NC .
I like the words you use for Caroline. CONFIDENCE. That's 70 percent of shooting well.
If Lou is 3/4th of what many believe, with Caroline, Edwards, Azzi, ICE, Dorka, et al Boston shall find it more difficult to "out score" Uconn.
Let us see how many minutes she gets and how well she does against Louie-ville, or Marquette, Doug Bruno's ladies.

Reaction Score
. Are you stealing the first page of @Tonyc's many postings??

I hope all that everyone here think LOU is accurate. I know she was the leader and leading scorer for Fairfield. Fairfield isn't ND, UCLA, Marquette, OR NC .
I like the words you use for Caroline. CONFIDENCE. That's 70 percent of shooting well.
If Lou is 3/4th of what many believe, with Caroline, Edwards, Azzi, ICE, Dorka, et al Boston shall find it more difficult to "out score" Uconn.
Let us see how many minutes she gets and how well she does against Louie-ville, or Marquette, Doug Bruno's ladies.
Don’t know that we need to wait for those games…as I said on this board on Aug 16:
“I’ll take her effort against a very well coached Indiana team last year as my gauge of what to expect. Expect her to be a fan favorite due to her stellar play”….

Reaction Score
Me too. ;)

With 4 years of D-1 experience behind her, Lou is less of an enigma than the others. There's no substitution for experience. The other newbies have none. So, we wait and see.
My mantra! Experience. Experience is always better with great coaching, decent instructions.
I heard Geno say something along this line: 18 year olds should be able to run for hours. I believed that too, Based that on my Saturday afternoons at the Gym. 8 or 10 guy would assemble and we'd play games after games for 4 or 6 hours.
We played with great intensity.
But except for being more physical, they don't compare to playing 3,4, 5 (sometimes) Div 1 games per week plus tough practices.
Making errors, failures, are experience and great for learning. Some of us old folks thought failures were BAD, experience says they are great for success, experience, learning.
That's why Geno schedules as may top 10 teams as possible.

Reaction Score
Don’t know that we need to wait for those games…as I said on this board on Aug 16:
“I’ll take her effort against a very well coached Indiana team last year as my gauge of what to expect. Expect her to be a fan favorite due to her stellar play”….
I didn't see that game.

I'll agree that it was a good Indiana Team. Their coach , against UConn, seemed befuddled as Uconn pulled ahead. Good game. Indiana as a state prides itself on being "a basketball state",

Your option, is you option. For me seeing Lou in a couple of top Div 1 teams, I'll adjust my opinion if required.

Hey, I'm a Uconn fan, if Lou is great, that is great for Uconn--I win. This is Not A Wish for Lou to not be super great. That is my hope for every kid Uconn ever had on the UCWBB team.

Reaction Score
I get that we want to protect ourselves against disappointment and this leads us to temper our expectations and give voice to our doubts. Every summer is like this, we vacillate between fantasizing about an NC victory and dreading an early exit. But I don’t think we’ll feel worse if our team fails next spring just because we were overly optimistic the previous summer.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget about the impressive play by Lou Lopez S. against TEXAS!!! They beat up
on her and she came back! She was knocked out of the game and left for the locker room...
Then, I believe , ( I would have to check, but I did watch the highlights a few monts ago ), that
she was the high scorer for Fairfield in that game. She is a REAL KEEPER!! GO LOU!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This quote is concerning. Come on BY., give Inez some food options

Bettencourt arrived in Storrs on August 29. That was the first time in her life that she touched down on U.S. soil. Four days into her experience, she told media that she already missed Portuguese food and wasn’t a fan of the processed food here in America. :eek::eek::eek:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
This quote is concerning. Come on BY., give Inez some food options

Bettencourt arrived in Storrs on August 29. That was the first time in her life that she touched down on U.S. soil. Four days into her experience, she told media that she already missed Portuguese food and wasn’t a fan of the processed food here in America. :eek::eek::eek:

Thats part of college life, the best tasting foods are the processed foods, and all you can eat. LOL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom