More future schedule dates/opponents for 2021/2022 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

More future schedule dates/opponents for 2021/2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wasn’t there talk that The PAC 12 was interested in scheduling UConn for some East Coast exposure
I would think teams like Oregon or USC won't come out this way, but I'm sure we could get either of the Arizona schools, Oregon St and both Washington schools to come to CT

Reaction Score
Whoever can be successful with an independent schedule here would be our Knute Rockne. We need a coach with a powerful salesman personality. Like Hurley and Auriemma. Or Les Miles.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
no disrespect but this makes no sense.
all we've heard is how fans want to see local teams, teams with some history, yada yada...
every clown on here happy with BE move is spouting about how great Buffalo, UMass will be for our schedule.
and now we're supposed to get jacked for Fresno State?

look... if you're happy about the BE move, great. But don't tell me I need to get pumped for more local flair, and then tell me to get pumped because we're playing schools with even less of an attachment than our old conference mates.

Bottom line, if Uconn had won a few more games, and been competitive in a few others, the AAC could have worked. The league's profile has been on the rise and that was with Uconn at a 20 year low for BB and a decade of ineptitude in FB. The only program to come through were the women, and unfortunately for them, they went on a NC drought.
You brought a lot of baggage to this post. Where did I talk about you getting "pumped for more local flair"?

I do think local games make sense....and I think long term there will be more and more on the schedule. But DB had a short time to cobble together a schedule for the next couple years. Considering the short time frame and limited options, I think it is pretty good. And yes....I think it is more interesting to play Fresno State than Tulsa and I do think an independent schedule is more interesting than the AAC schedule. But....I don't know if it will work financially. Time will tell.

I encourage you to accept change and look at the possibilities instead of yearning for the past.

Reaction Score
At this point the Huskies need a winning season more than they need to load up on ACC and MAC teams because they are closer in proximity. Let these guys get bowl eligible for a change even if it means traveling across country. I just want to see these guys win more games than they lose in a season and I don't care who it's against. Once we are all bored of UConn blowing out sub top 50 schools year after year you'll have a legit complaint about strength of schedule.
Settle for blowing out sub 100 teams.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I would think teams like Oregon or USC won't come out this way, but I'm sure we could get either of the Arizona schools, Oregon St and both Washington schools to come to CT
We’ve played Zona in hoops so often you’d think we could at least get them on the phone.
If they come here it’d have to be in September I’d imagine.

Reaction Score
USC has come to play BC and Syracuse in the past decade. Cal has come East recently too I think. And didn’t UCLA recently play somebody? I guess it depends on whether they think they can be undefeated and there won’t be 4 other unbeaten or they need East coast coverage.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Somewhere yesterday I read that the school plans to have the balance of the 2021 and 2022 schedules released within 4-8 weeks, so lets say by mid Feb.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
We are in the embryonic stages of scheduling. I am amazed we are playing who we are playing right out of the gate considering football schedules are made 8 years out. The game plan will be a couple of buy games, Home and Homes with different P5 and then an FCS and a local flavor of games. Most independents play around the country because... they can. We aren't limited to a conference schedule so you can focus on recruiting areas and sell recruits on different environments.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
USC has come to play BC and Syracuse in the past decade. Cal has come East recently too I think. And didn’t UCLA recently play somebody? I guess it depends on whether they think they can be undefeated and there won’t be 4 other unbeaten or they need East coast coverage.
Ucla has played Cincy and Memphis recently. May be what you’re thinking of.

Reaction Score
USC has come to play BC and Syracuse in the past decade
IIRC, USCw gave an ex-Trojans’ asst AD a favor after he was hired as citrus AD. Gross? Pretty sure he was pushed out or fired due to NCAA investigations related to sorryexcuse employees doing course work for Fab Melo and other nose picker players.

Opportunities to enhance northeast alumni relations and maybe regular student recruiting also likely influenced USCw to schedule the fruit as well as bcu. Similar considerations may eventually with UConn.

If not USCw, perhaps games with Pac12 schools with many northeast alumni, current students, or to aid student recruiting, e.g., possibly Arizona and ASU. Weekend gridiron and hoop doubleheader with Arizona?

Reaction Score
That AAC basketball would never had worked. Full stop

The AAC Football is getting really really good. I agree. But it’s not just that we suck ... 4 or more games a year, we simply don’t care. It is regional. College Football isn’t merely a Ken Pom or whatever. It’s Rivals. And push Syracuse in ... and they’re worth 5 Tulane or SMU or Tulsa

Reaction Score
You brought a lot of baggage to this post. Where did I talk about you getting "pumped for more local flair"?

I do think local games make sense....and I think long term there will be more and more on the schedule. But DB had a short time to cobble together a schedule for the next couple years. Considering the short time frame and limited options, I think it is pretty good. And yes....I think it is more interesting to play Fresno State than Tulsa and I do think an independent schedule is more interesting than the AAC schedule. But....I don't know if it will work financially. Time will tell.

I encourage you to accept change and look at the possibilities instead of yearning for the past.
I didn't say 'you' specifically... There are more than enough posts and threads on this board to support the notion that many folks on here want to see uconn play the likes of umass, and every other FBS school within a 4 hour drive...

I want uconn playing games that gets them in the national conversation (on a positive level)... That's not happening if you're not playing teams that can elevate the program and get national attention. The AAC offered Uconn that opportunity... Like every conference, there are top tier programs, middling, and bottom dwellers. Uconn was an absolute bottome dweller. Had they been competitive with UCF, Houston, Memphis, or even Temple, Uconn had an opportunity to make a FB name for itself.

unfortunately, that didn't happen. so now we're supposed to get excited playing Fresno State in a game that has zero relevance to anything? The important piece you're missing is that bowl games do offer interesting match-ups FOR SCHOOLS THAT HAVE HAD SUCCESSFUL SEASONS... Bowl games between 1-11 Uconn and 1-11 Umass don't exist for obvious reasons.

Ultimately, winning is the cure. Win games, you get to play in more meaningful games. play in meaningful games, you get national attention, recruits see you, fans want to watch. It's a simple formula where uconn is struggling with the first step. Just Win!

C

Chief00

UConn press release

I always thought this save on travel explanation was BS for leaving the AAC. Here is further evidence. If anything, in football we may log more miles when you factor in Rocky Mountain, west coast and SEC body bag game trips.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I always thought this save on travel explanation was BS for leaving the AAC. Here is further evidence. If anything, in football we may log more miles when you factor in Rocky Mountain, west coast and SEC body bag game trips.
You’re not that dense are you...

Reaction Score
I have a hard time having any excitement for the garbage home games (outside of Army and possibly BC) the next 3 years. I know the refrain will be "ECU Tulsa etc etc were no better" but the AAC had better games. UConn may go 3 years without playing a ranked team at home.

Reaction Score
It's not just football. Last year remembered noting the UConn was playing Tulane in volleyball and almost went to it but something came up. I was thinking then "boy that is a lot of people to sent to NOLA for 2 to 3 days and I know it isn't cheap to get hotel rooms here". That type savings must also factor in.

C

Chief00

Saving on travel is about everything but football
You’re not that dense are you...
Football travels with 100 people - it’s the elephant in the room. Additionally, For the other teams with relatively small travel parties, the Big East has teams now in OH, IL, WI and NE. I know another consultant gave the state what numbers they were looking for but this is silly. There’s not going to be any meaningful travel savings in a budget that runs a $40 million annual deficit. There are much bigger fish to fry.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Football travels with 100 people - it’s the elephant in the room. Additionally, For the other teams with relatively small travel parties, the Big East has teams now in OH, IL, WI and NE. I know another consultant gave the state what numbers they were looking for but this is silly. There’s not going to be any meaningful travel savings in a budget that runs a $40 million annual deficit. There are much bigger fish to fry.
Football travel is what is. It’s a net equal. The 25 or so other sports no longer have their 2nd closest Conference game in OH. Those Midwest schools are now the far ones not the close ones.

Reaction Score

disingenuous. The current conf has 1 school in driving distance. One. Yes, some travel still, but not every game is 500+ miles away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer