MNT’s 2022 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

MNT’s 2022

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Costa Rica has to start a B or C team to protect against suspensions in the likely playoff game.
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
When the game is on ESPN or Fox, it's maddening how the analysts talk about nothing but Greggg. Like how it was a genius move to play Tyler Adams in his best position. We've been saying that on the Yard for 3 years!

The fans have been right about every criticism of GGG.

Reaction Score
Worst thing we can do is trot out a crap lineup. That will just insult them and give them more motivation.

We need to treat the match like any other.
That's why Adams and Pulisic came out early.

Reaction Score
I disagree with a lot of the opinions on here. I thought that de la Torre was very solid, played a very professional game. Adams had more dangerous TOs near our goal than de la Torre.

And what's with the Morris hate? He came in played defensively which was appropriate and didn't look out of place. It seems like misplaced emotion.

When Wisky's posts are such that Palatine has to be the voice of reason ....

Reaction Score

No you just adore mediocre but plucky hard working talent. He’s not good enough and neither is Aaron Long.

Reaction Score
Always been the VOR. Just takes some longer to realize that the conventional wisdom is not wisdom at all.

Reaction Score
Like Walker Zimmerman?
Zimmerman and Robinson have both stepped up for us at CB this window, and part of last. I don't know if there is anyone behind them that should be starting over them at this stage. Brooks needs to do himself a lot of favors to get back into the team. Long Richards Miazga EPB CCV in with a shout right now, for me. Interesting selections on the horizon, given we get the job done Wednesday.

Reaction Score
Zimmerman and Robinson have both stepped up for us at CB this window, and part of last. I don't know if there is anyone behind them that should be starting over them at this stage. Brooks needs to do himself a lot of favors to get back into the team. Long Richards Miazga EPB CCV in with a shout right now, for me. Interesting selections on the horizon, given we get the job done Wednesday.
Good call. Miles has come a long way fast. I remember watching him when he first played for the MNT a couple of years back and thinking this guy makes a mistake a minute. He is now an anchor on the team and very good player. He and Zimmerman are now so settled and effective we hardly ever think about it. And both have made large contributions on offense as well. Nice position to be in.

Reaction Score

Long over Brooks in any situation is obscene. Long is just there for marketing reasons. Which is sad if you think about it.

Reaction Score
Long over Brooks in any situation is obscene. Long is just there for marketing reasons. Which is sad if you think about it.

Is John Brooks the most valued and accomplished center back in our pool? Absolutely. No one doubts that. But if you open your eyes to reality, since the Copa America he hasn’t played nearly up to his Bundisliga level for the USMNT. He just hasn’t. So Greg has chosen to go with players who have performed better for the USMNT even if they do not have Brooks’ skill levels.

Does one have to agree with this? Absolutely not. It’s fine to think it’s a coach’s job to keep giving Brooks chances and try to get him to be as effective for the USMNT as he is for Wolfsburg. But to decide Berhalter is being ordered to play MLS players when objectively over the last few years Robinson, Zimmerman and Lone have played more reliable football for the USMNT than Brooks has is truly bizarre. You’re like a basketball fan upset that Diggins is transferring because of what his recruiting ranking was, as opposed to being upset based on what he’s accomplished and what the staff thinks he’s capable of giving them going forward.

Reaction Score
Meh, I don't think Brooks has been the same since his injury in 2017. He has certainly been sub-par this season; in fairness Wolfsburg has generally sucked though. I don't watch enough of the US Team to know if Long is any good, but Brooks is setting a pretty low bar.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Today is the day. Let's get a win/draw/lose by <5 and qualify for Qatar.

Still can't believe they are actually having a WC in Qatar....in November/December.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Brooks should b3 invited to camps if the issues are solely around his form. We just don't have that many WC level CB's.

Zimmerman has been solid against Conacaf in the octo final, but that is hardly the last word on the subject nor should it be. If it were then Ream would be next up and I'm not taking seriously anyone who thinks that is Ok.

Facts are we have 6 months and maybe 4 matches left to decide the roster. Given the low expectations for 2022, there sre only a few decisions left and most have to do with the bench. The rest will be out of his control based on form, club playing time or injury.

His biggest call is what to do at Striker beyond pick a random name and hope.

Reaction Score
Is John Brooks the most valued and accomplished center back in our pool? Absolutely. No one doubts that. But if you open your eyes to reality, since the Copa America he hasn’t played nearly up to his Bundisliga level for the USMNT. He just hasn’t. So Greg has chosen to go with players who have performed better for the USMNT even if they do not have Brooks’ skill levels.

Does one have to agree with this? Absolutely not. It’s fine to think it’s a coach’s job to keep giving Brooks chances and try to get him to be as effective for the USMNT as he is for Wolfsburg. But to decide Berhalter is being ordered to play MLS players when objectively over the last few years Robinson, Zimmerman and Lone have played more reliable football for the USMNT than Brooks has is truly bizarre. You’re like a basketball fan upset that Diggins is transferring because of what his recruiting ranking was, as opposed to being upset based on what he’s accomplished and what the staff thinks he’s capable of giving them going forward.

Respectfully if you don’t think Berhalter is pressured to carry players from certain MLS markets then you’re out of the loop.

The fact that we waited a full year to hire a coach as inexperienced and unsuccessful as Greggg Berhalter ought to tell you enough about the level of nepotism and influence MLS holds over our national team.

Reaction Score
Meh, I don't think Brooks has been the same since his injury in 2017. He has certainly been sub-par this season; in fairness Wolfsburg has generally sucked though. I don't watch enough of the US Team to know if Long is any good, but Brooks is setting a pretty low bar.

Long is 2 Bundesliga quality. He’s crap. He’s there to represent the New York market on the national team.

Reaction Score
I read this morning that a forfeit is a 3-0 loss.

That would take uncertainty out of the qualification equation. No?
That would be cheeky, but would be a PR and karmic disaster.

Reaction Score
Costa Rica has to start a B or C team to protect against suspensions in the likely playoff game.
That's an interesting factor that I didn't realize would be relevant.

I assumed they would go nuts trying to score as much as possible having nothing to lose.

If they have something to lose, well, tactics might not change, but personnel could.

Reaction Score
That's an interesting factor that I didn't realize would be relevant.

I assumed they would go nuts trying to score as much as possible having nothing to lose.

If they have something to lose, well, tactics might not change, but personnel could.

They’ve only scored like six or eight goals in the whole comp anyways.

Reaction Score
With a limited-roster size, Costa Rica's unlikely to start too many so-called C team players. The Ticos' still have a slim shot of leap past El Tri and slimmer shot of the USofA. However, ZooCougar may not be entirely off in this instance. Still a massive gamble and NZ's no slouch, but not entirely crazy. /s

If this linked opinion piece from USA Today is factually correct, 9 Ticos' regular players including starters Francisco Calvo, Joel Campbell, Keysher Fuller, and Johan Venegas, carry yellow cards into the US match.

Reaction Score
They’ve only scored like six or eight goals in the whole comp anyways.
Yes, but they've been hot lately.

I think they had 6 points in their first 7 matches and now like 16 points in their last 6. Incredible turnaround, and you can't win that often without scoring goals.

That said, they do have a comically low number of goals scored overall.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Didn't we hear last game that Greggg gave Brooks "a list" of things he needs to accomplish or work on to get run on the team? Where did they get that nugget? A long-time Bundesliga stalwart gets a list from a guy "who did some things" in the MLS then the guy announces it to the media. Does that sound like good man-management to you? Maybe I missed something but it seems so CYA to me. Greggg's first rule should be "Do no harm".

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There would be a FIFA/CONCACAF investigation into the US Federation and they would award our slot to Italy.
So you're saying we can't trust Charlie Stillitano? I suppose next is that my hair isn't gonna grow back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom