MNT’s 2022 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

MNT’s 2022

Reaction Score
Yes, but they've been hot lately.

I think they had 6 points in their first 7 matches and now like 16 points in their last 6. Incredible turnaround, and you can't win that often without scoring goals.

That said, they do have a comically low number of goals scored overall.

Zero worries.

Reaction Score
Didn't we hear last game that Greggg gave Brooks "a list" of things he needs to accomplish or work on to get run on the team? Where did they get that nugget? A long-time Bundesliga stalwart gets a list from a guy "who did some things" in the MLS then the guy announces it to the media. Does that sound like good man-management to you? Maybe I missed something but it seems so CYA to me. Greggg's first rule should be "Do no harm".

I didn’t even know about the list. Jesus.

Reaction Score
With a limited-roster size, Costa Rica's unlikely to start too many so-called C team players. The Ticos' still have a slim shot of leap past El Tri and slimmer shot of the USofA. However, ZooCougar may not be entirely off in this instance. Still a massive gamble and NZ's no slouch, but not entirely crazy. /s

If this linked opinion piece from USA Today is factually correct, 9 Ticos' regular players including starters Francisco Calvo, Joel Campbell, Keysher Fuller, and Johan Venegas, carry yellow cards into the US match.

Thanks for proving my argument for me.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This is not what was supposed to happen
US is very hesitant on defense - again

Reaction Score
Another example of why Greg isn't the guy; he can't win against a B/C Costa Rica team. I can't believe how Maurice Edu was trying to hype up backing into the World Cup in this fashion.

And Steffen definitely shouldn't be the automatic starter.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just an ugly game. Had chances and missed them. CR had few chances and they found the net. Physically manhandled as per usual on the road in CONCACAF. At some point USA needs to carry a couple of guys who can punish teams for that, a little more hockey mentality. Yes, back in the day, Brooks was one. Now nobody. McKennie is the toughest guy we have. The guys hitting CP all game need to go home with fewer teeth.

Reaction Score
Another example of why Greg isn't the guy; he can't win against a B/C Costa Rica team. I can't believe how Maurice Edu was trying to hype up backing into the World Cup in this fashion.

We have the best talent in the region and we finished third in Qualifying.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

We didn't look great. We did make a few good chances though. Just didn't take them....or Navas.

That wasn't the B/C team either. (not that it matters) Costa Rica is in the process of turning over. Most of those guys who played last night are going to be on the 23 man squad. (if they get by New Zealand - which I would imagine they would) B squad at worst.

I mean we were missing 3-4 starters ourselves.

Reaction Score
adams.jpg

sure, it wasn't pretty, but it was way prettier than Couva

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Hard to speculate on whether this would have been a win or not if we really needed it. (I'm guessing not).

Good thing we got that point in Azteca.

Still zero from the 9 spot. Turner is the GK if he's healthy. Steffen just isn't good enough. Adams had a tough match and it left our back line exposed. So I'm not sold on Zimmerman just yet, but he still seems to be the best option.

Weah is the Andre Jackson of the USMNT. Does a lot of good things that don't lead to scoring goals and wins. I'll take Gio, Arriola, and Arronson over him at wing, but I would like to see him in the middle. He's in our top 6 forwards and rather him on the field than any of the strikers.

Reaction Score
One of the announcers last night mentioned that Weah could play the 9 in pinch. I'd like to see what that looks like during upcoming friendlies.

Reaction Score
Underwhelming and not exactly the statement, "turned the corner" performance we could have gotten in this window (chance to win @Azteca or San Jose), but we took care of business when and how we needed to (4 points vs. Mexico, running up the score against Honduras and Panama).

The concern is, what happens in Qatar when we face teams with physicality and who can take advantage of counters and set pieces, not to mention the Pot 1 caliber opponents who outclass us in skill and tactics. Need to be better in the final 1/3.

Reaction Score
The were very deliberate and not very sharp in the first half especially early.

Our need for a big physical 9 is a huge issue.

In perspective, making the World Cup has been fairly easy for the USA. We have made it almost every time this century. We should always expect to qualify. That's what makes last night disappointing.

Reaction Score
We didn't look great. We did make a few good chances though. Just didn't take them....or Navas.

That wasn't the B/C team either. (not that it matters) Costa Rica is in the process of turning over. Most of those guys who played last night are going to be on the 23 man squad. (if they get by New Zealand - which I would imagine they would) B squad at worst.

I mean we were missing 3-4 starters ourselves.

Most of those guys had one or no caps.

Reaction Score
Underwhelming and not exactly the statement, "turned the corner" performance we could have gotten in this window (chance to win @Azteca or San Jose), but we took care of business when and how we needed to (4 points vs. Mexico, running up the score against Honduras and Panama).

The concern is, what happens in Qatar when we face teams with physicality and who can take advantage of counters and set pieces, not to mention the Pot 1 caliber opponents who outclass us in skill and tactics. Need to be better in the final 1/3.

I’m not too down about it. Costa Rica rotated their team heavily. We did not. And that really showed.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Most of those guys had one or no caps.
Well 5 of the 16. But as I said Costa Rica is turning over. A majority of the 16 that played last night will probably be on the 23.

Reaction Score
Well 5 of the 16. But as I said Costa Rica is turning over. A majority of the 16 that played last night will probably be on the 23.

So it makes them even more inexperienced than our inexperienced players.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So it makes them even more inexperienced than our inexperienced players.
Some. But that doesn't make it a B/C team. Not saying we shouldn't have done much better. Just trying to correct some misrepresentation going on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom