MLS 2019 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

MLS 2019

Reaction Score
UConn v Brown game in Providence. Circa 1976.

I saw the Brown goalie try to throw a ball out to the Wing. Slipped and rolled off his backside into Goal.

UConn won

Reaction Score
Haven't look into this lately; but, there was a bubble of speculation that Kraft & co. maybe close to announcing a new, $400 Million 20K/30K stadium deal for a site in Boston (I think the rumor of it being next to the Garden is not likely) back in April and May. More fuel was added in June when Arena answered a reporter's question about the Rev's lack of talent by stating:

"But I can promise you when the day comes that we have a stadium in downtown Boston we’re going to be fighting off people to come here and play, so I think the next five years or so you’re going to see some great improvement by the Revolution."

This is on top of the $35 Million Kraft is putting into the Rev's new training facility that is being built in Foxboro next to Gillette.

Reaction Score
And now the first failure of a soccer-specific stadium built in the US. Why Chicago's owners built this stadium without any direct mass transit access (one has to take a bus from the Midway Airport Orange Line stop) and a few miles away from the highway, which scared-off a lot of suburbanites due to the venue's location on the southside (really southwest) of Chicago was poor planning. Of course, the amount of money the owners received directly and indirectly answers the 'why' question.

I've heard that the Union have a similar issue with their stadium; but, while it lacks subway access, it does have direct commuter rail access whereas Chester PA is a challenging location, too, albeit with good views. The Rapids location is also a challenge as its out in the the middle of Kansas somewhere in between downtown Denver and Denver International Airport.

Speaking of failure, more on Miami's proposed 'temporary' stadium in Ft. Lauderdale. Still scratching my head of this as its intended to be a 'short-term' arrangement until Beckham finds a location in Miami, which is 40 miles away, yet the lease is for 50 years. Any bet that Inter Miami, if they exist, will still be playing at this location 10 years from now?

Lastly, MLS must be excited about this. Another deep-pocketed owner wants a team. Of course, the exhisting infrastructure of soccer in Charlotte is well behind what already exists in Raleigh and even further behind other potential hosts in Sacremento, St. Louis and elsewhere. That said, expansion fees drive the bus in MLS.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And now the first failure of a soccer-specific stadium built in the US. Why Chicago's owners built this stadium without any direct mass transit access (one has to take a bus from the Midway Airport Orange Line stop) and a few miles away from the highway, which scared-off a lot of suburbanites due to the venue's location on the southside (really southwest) of Chicago was poor planning. Of course, the amount of money the owners received directly and indirectly answers the 'why' question.

I've heard that the Union have a similar issue with their stadium; but, while it lacks subway access, it does have direct commuter rail access whereas Chester PA is a challenging location, too, albeit with good views. The Rapids location is also a challenge as its halfway between downtown Denver and DIA out in the middle of nowhere

Speaking of failure, more on Miami's proposed 'temporary' stadium in Ft. Lauderdale. Still scratching my head of this as its intended to be a 'short-term' arrangement Beckham finds a location in Miami, which is 40 miles away, and the lease is for 50 years. Any bet that Inter Miami, if they exist, will still be playing at this location 10 years from now?

Lastly, MLS must be excited about this. Another deep-pocketed owner wants a team. Of course, the xiciting infrastructure of soccer in Charlotte is well behind what already exists in Raleigh and even furtehr behind other potential hosts in Sacremento, St. Louis and elsewhere. That said, expansion fees drive the bus in MLS.

MLS will be an NFL vassal state before it is over.

Reaction Score
However - like Hartford - there is something stupid going on at the next level down from MLS. Hartford doing Dillon. I am looking at a fairly expensive site in Baltimore for a USL stadium. Nuts. For some pipedream later … where are they going to get revenue from.

Reaction Score
Flipping through channels, I briefly stopped at the NYvNJ derby of sorts. Watched worse MLS games for longer periods of time, but it’s both surprising and disappointing Joisey doesn’t sell more tix for a weekend game against Yankee City from across the Hudson and East rivers. On the side less visible to cameras, entire sections were covered. At least Joisey has a non-baseball stadium on its’ brownfield

Reaction Score
Flipping through channels, I briefly stopped at the NYvNJ derby of sorts. Watched worse MLS games for longer periods of time, but it’s both surprising and disappointing Joisey doesn’t sell more tix for a weekend game against Yankee City from across the Hudson and East rivers. On the side less visible to cameras, entire sections were covered. At least Joisey has a non-baseball stadium on its’ brownfield

July is tough and hot in Jersey. The month starts with the 4th of July, where many families bolt for the Shore or elsewhere in between the end of school (late June) and summer sport seasons (primarily baseball and soccer). Those seasons are in full swing as soon as the 4th is over with games or practices nearly every night, unless Mother Nature intervenes. In early August, summer sports wrap-up and as a result everyone who could not head out on vacation earlier, goes the first two weeks in oder to be home in time for the start of fall high school sports at the end of the month. Its not excuse and to be fair, the Red Bulls, outside of their youth summer camp and academies, don't advertise much locally. I have 2 kids, both of whom play on travel baseball teams where I am also an assistant coach, and I am a bg soccer fan and even bigger Yankees fan. I'm lucky to find the time to make 2 Yankees games and 1 Red Bulls game a summer (its about a 45 minute drive to Harrison and 1 hour by car and train to Yankee Stadium from where I live).

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Any thoughts on the Revolution? Unbeaten streak is up to 9-10 games I think and they just signed Gustavo Bou for quite a bit of change by MLS standards. Credit to Arena, he really is a good MLS coach.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Still no losses with Arena as coach for the Revs. Three straight wins. Pretty amazing turnaround.

Reaction Score
Still no losses with Arena as coach for the Revs. Three straight wins. Pretty amazing turnaround.

They’ve always had a good roster. Friedel was the worst manager we have seen in a long time.

Reaction Score

We live in a world where our USMNT manager picked this guy over Sargent.

I read elsewhere that NFL teams are short on place kickers this season, he could have a future doing that.

Reaction Score
I'm happy for St. Louis as the city as a long history of soccer; bu, sad for soccer as a whole because money is driving the MLS train and now it looks inevitable that their will be 30 or more teams soon.

What's the best guess as to the next expansion canidate? Sacramento seems to keep getting pushed back. There is some serious money backing Phoenix and Charlotte now, the later would be bad for Raleigh/Durham. Las Vegas is a hot ticket right now; but, they would need to address how to hold soccer games in the desert int he summer (ditto for Phoenix). San Diego (lack of public support) and Detroit (cost of putting a retractable rood on Ford field) seem to be dead. Of course, all of these cities will likely get a team before the debacle that is Inter Miami actually shows-up.

Reaction Score
I'm happy for St. Louis as the city as a long history of soccer; bu, sad for soccer as a whole because money is driving the MLS train and now it looks inevitable that their will be 30 or more teams soon.

What's the best guess as to the next expansion canidate? Sacramento seems to keep getting pushed back. There is some serious money backing Phoenix and Charlotte now, the later would be bad for Raleigh/Durham. Las Vegas is a hot ticket right now; but, they would need to address how to hold soccer games in the desert int he summer (ditto for Phoenix). San Diego (lack of public support) and Detroit (cost of putting a retractable rood on Ford field) seem to be dead. Of course, all of these cities will likely get a team before the debacle that is Inter Miami actually shows-up.

Inter Miami has already signed at least two players and have spent about 23M. They are going to make some waves.

MLS has too many teams. It’s as boring as the NHL.

Reaction Score
Inter Miami has already signed at least two players and have spent about 23M. They are going to make some waves.

MLS has too many teams. It’s as boring as the NHL.

Looks like Inter Miami's ownership may need to spend that money elsewhere. At least they can look forward to playing in a renovated high school stadium 30 miles north in Ft. Lauderdale.

Reaction Score
With the United States' and Canada's historic dominance in games created on the North American continent and Olympic games over the past 100 years, I can't see MLS switching to promotion/relegation anytime soon. If such is ever going to happen, it's going to have to be soon or things will become more entrenched in every way unless the government stepped in at some point. And that wouldn't be in our lifetimes.

Reaction Score
Looks like Inter Miami's ownership may need to spend that money elsewhere. At least they can look forward to playing in a renovated high school stadium 30 miles north in Ft. Lauderdale.

A golf course built on incinerator ash debris?? Unreal.

And you guys are hoping we'll have promotion/relegation soon?

Reaction Score
How is it possible that an MLS playoff game i only available on Univision?

Went to an Irish Pub in Jersey for dinner and Seattle v. Dallas was on TV. On mute, so I could not hear the commentator; but, a cray game. Morris scored 3 of 4 Seattle's goals, including the OT winner. The ref was letting everything go, such as Dallas kepper grabbing a Seatle player by the neck, which is an automatic red in the rule book. No card.

Reaction Score
Not sure what that had to do with Pro Rel and nobody expects to have it soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom