MLS 2019 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

MLS 2019

Reaction Score
Good write-up. Harrison has done some good work on that area. It was always blue collar and relatively safe. Some of my Newark law school classmates lived there. My son plays at the field directly across the river that you can see in the picture in this thread. It's really cool to see the Red Bulls stadium in the background while playing a youth soccer game.

Red Bulls (I agree that the name sucks) could make the location work. It's a hotbed of soccer culture and is not too hard to get to from most areas of north and central NJ. From what I've seen they've done an okay job with their academy and trainers, but NYCFC has definitely encroached into what they believed was their territory. But watching a game at Yankee Stadium is a bad experience.

Kearny was awesome in the past. In high school, my JV team used to be their sacrificial lamb at their tournament to give them an easy first win. We beat them one year and I'm not sure we knew how big of a deal it was. Kids were on the ground crying. Kearny's demographics have changed and their youth program is mediocre.

As a FYI, the Red Bulls training facility is deep in the Jersey burbs off the Main Line in Whippany and not far from the NY Jets training complex (they're basically at each end of main runway at Morristown Airport). I've been to the Red Bulls complex as some of the local kids play for or against the Red Bulls junior teams and its beautiful.

From there, travel about 30 miles up Route 24 to I-287 and and then swing South on the Palisades parkway just before the Hudson and the NYCFC Training camp (adjacent to World Class Soccer) is right there. One can argue if the Red Bulls competes with NYCFC for New York's soccer fans; but, they are definitely competing with each other for the same youth dollars.

Reaction Score
Mls will not be taken seriously until a team makes a legit run at CCL. See ya, Sporting KC

Reaction Score
Mls will not be taken seriously until a team makes a legit run at CCL. See ya, Sporting KC

And Sporting is easily a top 5 team. What a buzzsaw.

It’s time to fire literally every MLS and USSF exec who thinks that single entity, parity and low salary caps are the way to go. The league is no longer in danger of going out of business overnight.

Reaction Score
Yeah, not knocking KC at all. It's an MLS problem. Noticed no tweets from MLS water-carrier Alexi last night after that drubbing.

Reaction Score
Yeah, not knocking KC at all. It's an MLS problem. Noticed no tweets from MLS water-carrier Alexi last night after that drubbing.

The question is if MLS Executive leadership actually cares or if their focus on in generating revenue.

Reaction Score
The question is if MLS Executive leadership actually cares or if their focus on in generating revenue.

The only way they are making money is through expansion and SUM which makes money through managing the the USMNT and USWNT. And that is the biggest margin by far.

Reaction Score
Busy day in US soccer news...

First,a bit of good news. MLS is finally joining the rest fo the world in allowing solidarity payments. I have my doubts; but, I do hope that some of this money is seen by the youth programs at the bottom as the 'pay to play' format is a critical issue. Now, maybe a relegation structure will be next (LOL)...

MLS clubs to begin receiving solidarity payments

Speaking of relegation, the pause in MLS expansion plans lasted, what, a few months? MLS has officially announced that they are looking to add Sacramento and St Louis as teams #28 and #29. Both cities deserve it; but, MLS ownership has become addicted to the $200 Million franchise fee (or more) and I can see the league at 35 to 40 teams within the next 10 years, which is insane unless relegation is put in place.

MLS to expand to 30, eyes St. Louis, Sacramento

Speaking of money, USSF is facing a suit by USMNT Player's Union (USNSTPA) hosting its final pre-Gold Cup warm-up match in May against Venezuela at (U of) Cincinnati's Nippert Stadium on a temporary grass pitched laid over an artificial turf field is unsafe and risky for every player's career. Remember how the field looked in Dallas and Phoenix recently? I can't blame the players as they are risking their careers, especially the USMNT players who are expected to be in camp for the Gold Cup who are making serious Money now in Europe. The Union claims that USSF only cares about making money. That's like accusing me of being addicted to ice cream or breathing.

Players union opposes U.S. friendly in Cincinnati

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Busy day in US soccer news...

First,a bit of good news. MLS is finally joining the rest fo the world in allowing solidarity payments. I have my doubts; but, I do hope that some of this money is seen by the youth programs at the bottom as the 'pay to play' format is a crtical issue. Now, maybe a relegation structure will be next (LOL)...

MLS clubs to begin receiving solidarity payments

Speaking of relegation, the pause in MLS expansion plans lasted, what, a few months? MLS has officially announced that they are looking to add Sacramento and St Louis as teams #28 and #29. Both cities deserve it; but, MLS ownership has become addicted to the $200 Million franchise fee (or more) and I can see the league at 35 to 40 teams within the next 10 years, which is insane unless relegation is put in place.

MLS to expand to 30, eyes St. Louis, Sacramento

Speaking of money, USSF is facing a suit by USMNT Player's Union (USNSTPA) hosting its final pre-Gold Cup warm-up match in May against Venezuela at (U of) Cincinnati's Nippert Stadium on a temporary grass pitched laid over an artificial turf field is unsafe and risky for every player's career. Remember how the field looked in Dallas and Phoenix recently? I can't blame the players as the are risking their careers, especially the USMNT players who are expected to be in camp for the Gold Cup who are making serious Money now in Europe. The Union claims that USSF only care about making money. That's like accusing me of being addicted to ice cream or breathing.

Players union opposes U.S. friendly in Cincinnati

Hard to stop expanding when you need $200M expansion fees to keep you afloat.

Reaction Score
Brad Friedel got the sack today. The Revs are a joke.

The Rev's ownership is likely one of the few MLS organizations hoping that Miami fields a team sooner than later becasue they hope is that Beckham's circus will make the Revs look like a well oiled machine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
About the Revs, they were trying to bring a Belgian League player over, M'Poku. After looking at the situation, M'Poku declined to join the disaster. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. As a Greek League watcher, I saw M'Poku play multiple times a few years ago, and he had to be the slowest forward I've ever seen in my life. I hesitate to say that the Revs caught a break by not signing/buying this guy, but the Revs situation is so bad that even the slowest player in the world doesn't want to go there. That being said, I would still take my chances with Boston University's 18 year old striker over M'Poku.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm serious when I say the Revs are proof it's the Belichick way, not the Patriot way.

Reaction Score
I'm serious when I say the Revs are proof it's the Belichick way, not the Patriot way.

The Revs are 10 years behind the part of the league that actually wants to compete.

Reaction Score
I saw that earlier in the day, I popped a bag of popcorn waiting for the show but was disappointed.

I saw it, too. Call it a match made in hell. The Revs need a lot more than a recycled coach past its prime to fix its fortunes. That said, he does know how to follow the 'rules' of the MLS, which Kraft helped create. On the other side, I wonder if Bruce looked around and saw red, white & blue kits playing in front of sparsely filled NFL football stadiums and thought he was getting a third chance at coaching the USMNT.

So, what will happen first, Bruce gets fired or the Revs get an actual soccer stadium?

Reaction Score
Ibrahimović? Does a bigger bouche dag exist? Unintentionally flipped on some late night suburban LA Galaxy game and immediately observed Ibrahimović acting his typical bouche dag way. Then, quickly flipped to something more interesting; white paint drying or something

Reaction Score
Ibrahimovic is definetly enjoying his role as a villain in MLS, which I agree most teams need; is starting to go over the lien with hsi flopping and getting in the face of oposing players, not to mention he should have been given a straight Red and then suspended for grabbing the throat of a NYCFC's keeper last week

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What does that league have besides Zlatan? Atlanta United?

Reaction Score
If ESPN or Fox dumped MLS and put on something like the English Championship. I bet they would get better ratings and better ROI. Better everything.

Reaction Score
If ESPN or Fox dumped MLS and put on something like the English Championship. I bet they would get better ratings and better ROI. Better everything.
Possibly, if MLS wasn’t off-season filler.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom