Mitchell Says She's Learned from the Whipping | The Boneyard

Mitchell Says She's Learned from the Whipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hurray for Kelsey---dumb players never learn--she apparently learned a lot from the loss to Uconn.
Ohio St is not a team, full of talented, to take lightly!!
We shall see who learned what from whom!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have said before, but it bears repeating, OSU is the UT of the Big 10. Great talent. Less than impressive on the court. At 9-3, the Buckeyes don't have a single quality win IMO, a couple close calls to lesser teams and a bad loss to Miami.

I suspect that Ms Mitchell & her teammates will be the recipients of another lesson at the hands of the Huskies on Monday night.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have said before, but it bears repeating, OSU is the UT of the Big 10. Great talent. Less than impressive on the court. At 9-3, the Buckeyes don't have a single quality win IMO, a couple close calls to lesser teams and a bad loss to Miami.

I suspect that Ms Mitchell & her teammates will be the recipients of another lesson at the hands of the Huskies on Monday night.
I don't know - I think Texas is pretty good. UT does have 4 losses, but they are to Stanford, SC, UCONN and Mississippi State.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Facing UConn was learning experience for Ohio State’s Kelsey Mitchell

Not much to this really, but it's something on a snowy Saturday.

It's natural for any player who had the type of horrible game as Mitchell did last year, to want a taste of retribution this time around. The fact that it happened at all was bad enough, but it happened in front of a sold out arena and on national TV to boot. Mitchell is going to be so jacked up before tip off, she'll hardly be able to contain herself. She can't wait for the game to begin so that she can get out on the floor, and start jacking up 3's, to show everyone that she can score, and that her performance the last game against UConn was a aberration.

I predict 1 or two assists at most for in this game for Mitchell. Forget ball movement once it gets to her. It either goes up, or she puts it on the floor. I join with "Oldude", and his take on this one. The pace of this game should be fast, but UConn is a "thoroughbred", and can easily handle long distance races that are run at a brisk pace. UConn wins by double digits.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Wasn't there a thread like this before the Texas game?

Remember, UConn is a young team. Certainly, the Huskies are capable of running out to an insurmountable lead and cruising the rest of the game but they're also capable of scoring droughts and surprising turnovers. That's why the team is so much fun to watch this year and why the wins are so satisfying. Wins aren't a given, no matter how much fans would like to think so.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Remember, UConn is a young team. Certainly, the Huskies are capable of running out to an insurmountable lead and cruising the rest of the game but they're also capable of scoring droughts and surprising turnovers. That's why the team is so much fun to watch this year and why the wins are so satisfying. Wins aren't a given, no matter how much fans would like to think so.
While I absolutely agree that the wins this year are satisfying, my idea of fun is when Geno clears the bench in the 3rd qtr.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

How is a loss to Miami a bad loss ?

You do realize it was the U of Miami in Florida.... not the Miami of Ohio :p:p:cool::cool::D:D

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How is a loss to Miami a bad loss ?

You do realize it was the U of Miami in Florida.... not the Miami of Ohio :p:p:cool::cool::D:D
Miami is unranked. They played 2 ranked teams: KY in Lexington where they lost by 16 & OSU in Columbus, a 5-pt OT victory.

If you are a top-10 team like OSU was when they played Miami at home and you lose, IMO that's a bad loss.

& yes I do realize that we're refering to the Hurricanes

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Miami is unranked. They played 2 ranked teams: KY in Lexington where they lost by 16 & OSU in Columbus, a 5-pt OT victory.

If you are a top-10 team like OSU was when they played Miami at home and you lose, IMO that's a bad loss.

& yes I do realize that we're refering to the Hurricanes

Actually Miami is #13 .... they have been ranked all season. They were probably around 19-20 when they played Ohio State.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

I'll also add it's also fun to watch how the team reacts when the score gets close. Geno seems to depend on Lou for "sure" points: off the curl, isolation at the elbow, or Gabby and Pheesa on the block. But overall everyone seems to keep their heads as well. They don't seem to let the moment get too big for them. They don't hang their heads on a missed shot or if they get taken off the dribble. Resilience such as they have is tough to teach to a young team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Actually Miami is #13 .... they have been ranked all season. They were probably around 19-20 when they played Ohio State.
I stand corrected. Obviously, I was applying some "fuzzy math".:confused:

It also illustrates why I should never post after 10 PM.

Reaction Score
If we should loose a gae before league play, would it be better that it be to OH, than MD or SC?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If we should loose a gae before league play, would it be better that it be to OH, than MD or SC?
If the Huskies lose, more important than who they lose to is how they lose. IMO the Huskies are better than the Buckeyes, so any loss at home would not be good.

MD & SC are both very strong teams. MD on the road is going to be a very tough game, so unless the Huskies get blown out, a loss would be disappointing but any future matchup would be on a neutral court (Dallas?).

SC will also be a very tough game, but it's at Gambel, so I am hoping for a win. Here again, if SC beats UConn badly, or even a close win, it will create some doubt for a potential rematch in Dallas.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not sure exactly what the defensive matchup will be, but it's likely that Mitchell will have either Gabby or Kia in her face all night long. That makes for a very long night.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Mitchell tried to force her game last year, blindly charging in and wildly tossing up the ball. It won't be hard for her to improve on that.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Nice article and it tells me UConn has gotten in her head. We cant let her get started. This will be a good game and UConn will win again by double digits.

You're right. NOTHING says "stay in your lane", like a good old fashion butt whuppin. We can only hope. :rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Not sure exactly what the defensive matchup will be, but it's likely that Mitchell will have either Gabby or Kia in her face all night long. That makes for a very long night.

If you remember, Mitchell got into early foul trouble, and had to sit much of the first half, which partially explains why she only scored 8 points. She couldn't shoot from the bench. :cool:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The leopard doesn't change its spots. Mitchell will still take the most shots for OSU. And shoot a low percentage.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

That is incorrect. Holly Warwick is just bad at coaching. McGruff can flat out coach offense and struggles on the defensive end. As noted by others, OSU losses have been legit. He is playing a tough non-conference to improve his team. Lady Vols have a mediocre OOC and are still losing. It will be down to OSU and Maryland for Big 10. UT will be lucky to be in top 6 in SEC this year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If you remember, Mitchell got into early foul trouble, and had to sit much of the first half, which partially explains why she only scored 8 points. She couldn't shoot from the bench. :cool:

Nope, Carnac, really doesn't. She shot 14% from the field. If she played 40 minutes, instead of 24, playing the same, she'd have scored 14-15 points on 4-28 shootings. I do not expect a repeat.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That is incorrect. Holly Warwick is just bad at coaching. McGruff can flat out coach offense and struggles on the defensive end. As noted by others, OSU losses have been legit. He is playing a tough non-conference to improve his team. Lady Vols have a mediocre OOC and are still losing. It will be down to OSU and Maryland for Big 10. UT will be lucky to be in top 6 in SEC this year.
Tough non-conference: I agree relative to SC, Baylor, Cuse, Miami & Uconn, and I'll even throw in Cincy; but when I see Ashland, Duquesne, Cleve St, LIU, Southern, Canisius, Alabama St & powerhouse Winthrop I have to scratch my head.

As for McGruff's coaching ability, unless I am mistaken, you are supposed to coach both offense & defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom