Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The loss drops Miss. St. from #1 to #6 in the Massey ratings. They now sit at #9 in the RPI.

1550250523376.png

Reaction Score
Late commentary but....

Hats off to Missouri. They were great and shot the ball very well. MSU was off in general. Howard acted foolish after her last foul, McCowan was very frustrated as well.

I'm glad they lost to hopefully gain some perspective. There is still a lot of basketball to be played. While this game will hurt our seeding it doesn't change the focus.

Reaction Score
Dropped from one to six in the Massey Ratings because of this loss. More importantly, they likely lost a number one seed in Albany, although the same two teams are still likely to play each other.

Reaction Score
Their thinking changes with every loss at the top because every loss at the top completely changes the equation among the top teams. The early ranking releases give insight into what the most important criteria are to the committee, along with giving us something to talk about. It also gives coaches and media a chance to give reviews before the real bracket is announced. Given the reaction to the first one, I have a feeling the committee started making some changes, particularly in that ridiculous Greensboro region.
And the Portland Region

Reaction Score
How many of the other 1 teams lose before the tournament is the next question?
I think Oregon, and probably Lou (if to ND), can lose a game and still hold on to a 1 seed.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Does the NCAA Selection Committee use Massey's statistics?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Somehow Missouri lost to LSU and Florida

And THAT is why it's so hard to predict what a team is going to do on any given night, even though the odds appear to favor a particular team. That is why this year's tournament is going to be so unpredictable. I look for upsets in every round of play. :eek: I'm going to have to re-think my prediction of Mississippi State making the FF.

Mississippi State’s home loss to unranked Missouri on Thursday should have re-opened a path to the No. 1 seed in the NCAA Albany Regional for the Huskies. In last Monday’s top-16 reveal, UConn was seeded second behind the Bulldogs. I can't see them retaining that #1 seed after that devastating 8 point loss. UConn should run the table the rest of the season including the AAC Tournament. That should solidify their hold on the 1 seed going in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I think Oregon, and probably Lou (if to ND), can lose a game and still hold on to a 1 seed.
I don't really care but if Louisville loses to ND twice and ND doesn't lose another game, no way that the Committee is going to seed the Cardinals higher than the Golden Domers.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score

Vic is a class act. Compare this presser to any of Holly Warlick's after a TN loss. TN fans do
As I read through many of the post games threads, there is much to ponder as either good insight, complete hogwash or just stating the obvious.
In my humble opinion:
1. Sophie Cunningham is a very good college player who warrants post season accolades of some sort. That said, it does not mean she will be a good pro. She’s too much a “tweener” as too slow to be an effective “2” either trying to create her own shot, shake a defender off a screen or trying to guard opposing “2’s”, she’s smaller than a wing or front court player and too chippy to really be effective in the “W” as her skills can’t compensate to warrant any team tolerating that. To even hint she’s a poor man’s Maya is absurd.
2. Saying Robin Pingeton is one of the better coaches in the SEC is not a high hurdle to clear. Vic, Dawn and maybe Gary Blair (his shine is dimming given who transferred out, who was his assistant when he won and how he is currently letting Miss “there isn’t a shot on the floor I shouldn’t take over any option that my teammates might have” Carter. Robin and Coach Abe are similar in that they physically wear teams down, not allowing freedom of movement (something the Refs are supposed to prevent but eventually give in to letting it happen because they become numb to it every possession). Robin seems to embrace this “chippyness” from her players, especially Sophie. There is a reason the SEC is now the least of the P5 teams in ranking. So long answer is in the SEC, she is a good coach.
3. As noted, this Mizzou team is boom or bust- win @Miss St but lose @ Florida?
Due their style, as noted, they need to hit 3’s and limit the opposing teams rebounds. It would be a very good accomplishment to get to the Sweet 16. I just don’t see the consistency of this squad to see them even really getting even to S16 and definitely not beyond that to an Elite 8. They have Tenn at home next so “come on Tigers!”

1. Sophie is a great college player. She'll probably go early in the second round of the draft. She'll probably secure a spot on the bench for whatever team takes her, and it's hard to see her as a starter for a winning team. But she has a quick release, a solid three-point shot, and could be a asset to any team if used strategically off the bench. If she chooses to play overseas she will do very well there.
  1. Pingeton is a very good coach in the SEC – and everywhere else. Some of her techniques are unorthodox, but she makes the most of her talent – as she did last night. She, Vic and Dawn are great coaches. Mitchell and Blair aren't bad, either. Talent in the SEC is a bit more spread out than in the other Power 5 conferences. And the style of play is certainly unique in the conference. Tha's why you see so many upsets. Mizzou beat Miss State tonight and folks think it's a big deal. They forget that last year Mizzou lost a close game to them in the final seconds and had beat them years ago when they were a top ten team. Two years ago Mizzou gave eventual National Champion South Carolina one of their rare losses.
  2. Mizzou comes in with a game plan built on shooting the 3's well. When they hit 9 or more they win. When they don't, they struggle. Similarly if Cunningham gets in foul trouble they struggle. The Florida game was a complete collapse. They were coasting and up double digits – and then Florida caught fire and Mizzou couldn't make a shot and they lost by two. Mizzou wins with defense – and they allow fewer points per game than any SEC team. But they also typically struggle a bit to score. Most of their role players have huge holes in their games. Turnovers are a big problem. But they typically play hard, play together, and never give up. They're an easy team to root for. I agree with your assessment on their Tourney chances. A Sweet 16 appearance would be a huge achievement for this team.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
McCown, and Brown both are slow, and the quickness they see in the WNBA will give them fits.

Anyone here think that either of these ladies go in the WNBA draft BEFORE Collier? You do understand that Napheesa will fit in and help ANY team she goes to ........right?!? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Dropped from one to six in the Massey Ratings because of this loss. More importantly, they likely lost a number one seed in Albany, although the same two teams are still likely to play each other.
I still would like to see Baylor and Mississippi State in the same region, hopefully in Tournament City, NC.

Reaction Score

McCowan should step out an shoot one when the layups aren’t falling. :D:p Her form is surprisingly not bad from 3.

Reaction Score
I don't really care but if Louisville loses to ND twice and ND doesn't lose another game, no way that the Committee is going to seed the Cardinals higher than the Golden Domers.

Haha, this year has been so crazy that I thought Lou won the 1st game vs ND..

I could still see Lou falling to #4 and pushing UConn to #5 based on their win.

Reaction Score
As long as either Pheesa or Lou goes to Storm, I'm happy. Then bring in Crystal a year later to replace Sue should she hang 'em up. Hey, a guy can dream...

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
The amount of critical analysis generated by opposing fanbases after one really bad game from a 22-2 college team is tiring. It's one game.

If anyone had been paying much attention to Miss St in 2017 while they were laying late season eggs vs UT and UK, I wonder if they would have predicted how that NCAA tourney played out.

It's concerning, but it's one game.

MSU played one game @ Florida and won 90-42.

Mizzou played one game @ Florida and lost 58-56.

Those games clearly told us absolutely nothing about this game.

It was one game. On to TAMU. Tough one. I bet they'll be ready.

Reaction Score
The amount of critical analysis generated by opposing fanbases after one really bad game from a 22-2 college team is tiring. It's one game.

If anyone had been paying much attention to Miss St in 2017 while they were laying late season eggs vs UT and UK, I wonder if they would have predicted how that NCAA tourney played out.

It's concerning, but it's one game.

MSU played one game @ Florida and won 90-42.

Mizzou played one game @ Florida and lost 58-56.

Those games clearly told us absolutely nothing about this game.

It was one game. On to TAMU. Tough one. I bet they'll be ready.
I think the most concerning thing is they don't match up well against good shooting teams. That doesn't bode well for tournament time. They did lose 4 starters, one of which was your go-to player so there is some room for questions. That being said, we're as critical of our own team than any other. You guys are getting off easy on here. ;)

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
You obviously do not watch MSST WBB. AEH does not shoot every time she touches the ball. She often passes upon a wide open 3, in my opinion because she just does not have the confidence to take the shot. She get a lot of wide open 3s because the opponent knows she likely will pass rather than shoot. AEH is starting to gain some confidence and is shooting more, in my opinion she was the ONLY bright spot I saw in the Missouri game. MSST must have better outside shooting are opponents will continue to clog up the middle and sag on Tee. AEH will be a key player for MSST if we are to go deep in the tournament.
Check out the box

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Miss St. was a projected #1 seed and they lost at home to an unranked opponent. What did you expect from this thread? If any of the top teams loses to an unranked team, they are going to get slammed on here. Including and especially UConn if that were to happen.

So I don't understand the complaint. People overreact on the internet? Welcome to your first day online.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Miss St. was a projected #1 seed and they lost at home to an unranked opponent. What did you expect from this thread? If any of the top teams loses to an unranked team, they are going to get slammed on here. Including and especially UConn if that were to happen.

So I don't understand the complaint. People overreact on the internet? Welcome to your first day online.

I expect all of the reactions here and more.

Doesn't mean I don't also get to post my opinion of those reactions whether you understand it or not.

Your last sentence was unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69