Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Besides UConn getting the #1 seed in Albany, I think Miss St will end up in Greensboro. I know Charlie Creme says Miss St stays in Albany, but Greensboro is closer and they should go there.

An impressive win for Missouri as this was an away game for them.

Espinoza-Hunter played 27 minutes in a starting role for Miss St scoring 12 points on 5 -13 shooting. The only other stat she had was one rebound.

Last edited:

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
It can be difficult to rebound from the three point line.
Also, no assists. This is because she shoots every time she touches the ball. Pretty shots that clang are not as good as ugly shots that go in. So she may have a pretty shot, as mentioned by some, but I'll take makes over pretty.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Have to think this drops MSU to number 6 in the committee ranking. Even if they win out, a lot of help will be needed to reclaim a top seed.
These interim seedings with 20% of the season left are a pointless publicity stunt.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Missouri impressed me tonight. Mostly, because they played great TEAM defense. Reminded me of the OSU vs Baylor games in the NCAA Tournament. On paper, MSU should have crushed Missouri, but loved how well the Missouri kids stuck together, and, played great help defense. And they played fearless. There have been a few on the BY who have claimed that MSU's backcourt was one of the best in the country. MSU's backcourt got burned multiple times by Missouri's backcourt, getting to the rim. And MSU's backcourt was invisible on offense. Missouri played a nearly perfect game, and definitely exposed MSU's weaknesses. Tough losses are not a bad thing at this point in the season, they will help MSU's coaching staff get "buy in" on what needs to change before the SEC & NCAA Tournament play.

Reaction Score
Also, no assists. This is because she shoots every time she touches the ball. Pretty shots that clang are not as good as ugly shots that go in. So she may have a pretty shot, as mentioned by some, but I'll take makes over pretty.
You obviously do not watch MSST WBB. AEH does not shoot every time she touches the ball. She often passes upon a wide open 3, in my opinion because she just does not have the confidence to take the shot. She get a lot of wide open 3s because the opponent knows she likely will pass rather than shoot. AEH is starting to gain some confidence and is shooting more, in my opinion she was the ONLY bright spot I saw in the Missouri game. MSST must have better outside shooting are opponents will continue to clog up the middle and sag on Tee. AEH will be a key player for MSST if we are to go deep in the tournament.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
AEH is starting to gain some confidence and is shooting more, in my opinion she was the ONLY bright spot I saw in the Missouri game. MSST must have better outside shooting are opponents will continue to clog up the middle and sag on Tee. AEH will be a key player for MSST if we are to go deep in the tournament.

What about Anriel Howard? If you look at her stats aside from the 5 fouls which did hurt us. I think AEH and Howard were the only two bright spots.

I think McCowan is the big difference though. When she plays bad, we have NO chance of winning. Our only other loss of the year was when she scored 5 points. Last year we could overcome McCowan playing only mediocre/decent because Vivians can string together 12 points by herself late, but this year McCowan is where the sun rises and shines on our team. In games where she was on - Tennessee and South Carolina, she jolted our offense towards pull-away victories late. In games where we struggled - Marquette and Georgia, she played well when her teammates didn't, so we overcame them.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Missouri impressed me tonight. Mostly, because they played great TEAM defense. Reminded me of the OSU vs Baylor games in the NCAA Tournament. On paper, MSU should have crushed Missouri, but loved how well the Missouri kids stuck together, and, played great help defense. And they played fearless. There have been a few on the BY who have claimed that MSU's backcourt was one of the best in the country. MSU's backcourt got burned multiple times by Missouri's backcourt, getting to the rim. And MSU's backcourt was invisible on offense. Missouri played a nearly perfect game, and definitely exposed MSU's weaknesses. Tough losses are not a bad thing at this point in the season, they will help MSU's coaching staff get "buy in" on what needs to change before the SEC & NCAA Tournament play.
Cunningham gets all the publicity and she had an outstanding game: 24 points, 6 rebounds, 4 steals, 3 assists. I think her pick-6 early in 4Q was the turning point when it went from a close game to Mizzou assuming control. But I was just as impressed with Mizzou's supporting cast:
  • Amber Smith, an extremely underrated player IMO, had 16 points on 7-10 shooting.
  • Akira Levy, a freshman point guard, came off the bench and had 10 points, 5 assists and 3 steals, AND she did a great job of handling MSU's full court pressure in the 2nd half.
  • Cierra Porter only played 10 minutes due to major foul trouble, but she hit the cold dagger 3 late in the final minutes.
  • Hannah Schuchts played major minutes off the bench with Porter in foul trouble and did a great job defensively on McCowan.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As I read through many of the post games threads, there is much to ponder as either good insight, complete hogwash or just stating the obvious.
In my humble opinion:
1. Sophie Cunningham is a very good college player who warrants post season accolades of some sort. That said, it does not mean she will be a good pro. She’s too much a “tweener” as too slow to be an effective “2” either trying to create her own shot, shake a defender off a screen or trying to guard opposing “2’s”, she’s smaller than a wing or front court player and too chippy to really be effective in the “W” as her skills can’t compensate to warrant any team tolerating that. To even hint she’s a poor man’s Maya is absurd.
2. Saying Robin Pingeton is one of the better coaches in the SEC is not a high hurdle to clear. Vic, Dawn and maybe Gary Blair (his shine is dimming given who transferred out, who was his assistant when he won and how he is currently letting Miss “there isn’t a shot on the floor I shouldn’t take over any option that my teammates might have” Carter. Robin and Coach Abe are similar in that they physically wear teams down, not allowing freedom of movement (something the Refs are supposed to prevent but eventually give in to letting it happen because they become numb to it every possession). Robin seems to embrace this “chippyness” from her players, especially Sophie. There is a reason the SEC is now the least of the P5 teams in ranking. So long answer is in the SEC, she is a good coach.
3. As noted, this Mizzou team is boom or bust- win @Miss St but lose @ Florida?
Due their style, as noted, they need to hit 3’s and limit the opposing teams rebounds. It would be a very good accomplishment to get to the Sweet 16. I just don’t see the consistency of this squad to see them even really getting even to S16 and definitely not beyond that to an Elite 8. They have Tenn at home next so “come on Tigers!”

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Just got home and saw the score :eek::eek::eek::eek:

View attachment 39673
This is perfect. Captures all those feelings one has when their team loses one they were not expected to lose. I feel for those Bulldog fans. I guess somewhere there is a Tiger with a big smile.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Completely disagree. They provide useful insight on how the committee is thinking and thus can make the final decision less surprising.
And what's wrong with promoting discussion? Isn't that 1/2 of what sports fandom is?
Because their thinking changes with every loss at the top. But I don’t disagree that sports fandom is mostly pointless discussion in which I happily participate

Reaction Score
Lack of outside shooting kills state. Without Howard, they looked lost on offense. That weave has to be exhausting to run every game, too. They run that weave too much.
Sorry, but McCowan stands around way too much on offense. Yes, she was getting double teamed, but still. You can move, set screens, post up. Half the time she just stands there.
AEH is the difference maker if this team wants to be legit.

Reaction Score
What about Anriel Howard? If you look at her stats aside from the 5 fouls which did hurt us. I think AEH and Howard were the only two bright spots.

I think McCowan is the big difference though. When she plays bad, we have NO chance of winning. Our only other loss of the year was when she scored 5 points. Last year we could overcome McCowan playing only mediocre/decent because Vivians can string together 12 points by herself late, but this year McCowan is where the sun rises and shines on our team. In games where she was on - Tennessee and South Carolina, she jolted our offense towards pull-away victories late. In games where we struggled - Marquette and Georgia, she played well when her teammates didn't, so we overcome them.

Tee and Anreil are a given, they are the engine that drives MSST but opponents have decided to play to stop our inside game. Hard for Tee to do much when the middle is totally clogged, in addition, clogging the middle affected our drive to the bucket. Last year, our 3 point shooters could make the opponent pay from the 3 point line, that is why I consider AEH so important. Losing Bibby affected both physicality and outside shooting, we are still very physical even without Bibby but neither of our guards, Jazz or Danberry, are confident shooting from outside so the outside game will have to come from Bre Scott and Andy.

Reaction Score
Because their thinking changes with every loss at the top. But I don’t disagree that sports fandom is mostly pointless discussion in which I happily participate
Their thinking changes with every loss at the top because every loss at the top completely changes the equation among the top teams. The early ranking releases give insight into what the most important criteria are to the committee, along with giving us something to talk about. It also gives coaches and media a chance to give reviews before the real bracket is announced. Given the reaction to the first one, I have a feeling the committee started making some changes, particularly in that ridiculous Greensboro region.

Reaction Score
As I read through many of the post games threads, there is much to ponder as either good insight, complete hogwash or just stating the obvious.
In my humble opinion:
1. Sophie Cunningham is a very good college player who warrants post season accolades of some sort. That said, it does not mean she will be a good pro. She’s too much a “tweener” as too slow to be an effective “2” either trying to create her own shot, shake a defender off a screen or trying to guard opposing “2’s”, she’s smaller than a wing or front court player and too chippy to really be effective in the “W” as her skills can’t compensate to warrant any team tolerating that. To even hint she’s a poor man’s Maya is absurd.
2. Saying Robin Pingeton is one of the better coaches in the SEC is not a high hurdle to clear. Vic, Dawn and maybe Gary Blair (his shine is dimming given who transferred out, who was his assistant when he won and how he is currently letting Miss “there isn’t a shot on the floor I shouldn’t take over any option that my teammates might have” Carter. Robin and Coach Abe are similar in that they physically wear teams down, not allowing freedom of movement (something the Refs are supposed to prevent but eventually give in to letting it happen because they become numb to it every possession). Robin seems to embrace this “chippyness” from her players, especially Sophie. There is a reason the SEC is now the least of the P5 teams in ranking. So long answer is in the SEC, she is a good coach.
3. As noted, this Mizzou team is boom or bust- win @Miss St but lose @ Florida?
Due their style, as noted, they need to hit 3’s and limit the opposing teams rebounds. It would be a very good accomplishment to get to the Sweet 16. I just don’t see the consistency of this squad to see them even really getting even to S16 and definitely not beyond that to an Elite 8. They have Tenn at home next so “come on Tigers!”

There have been several “fast” WNBA players that weren’t very good, just like there are some “slow” players that did just fine. With the right team, she’ll be just fine.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Their thinking changes with every loss at the top because every loss at the top completely changes the equation among the top teams. The early ranking releases give insight into what the most important criteria are to the committee, along with giving us something to talk about. It also gives coaches and media a chance to give reviews before the real bracket is announced. Given the reaction to the first one, I have a feeling the committee started making some changes, particularly in that ridiculous Greensboro region.

That doesn’t mean the regions will be any better after the last conference tournament game is played

Reaction Score
These interim seedlings with 20% of the season left are a pointless publicity stunt.
That’s what women’s basketball needs to be honest. The more discussion about stuff like this, the better for the game.

Reaction Score
One aspect that changed this game that wasn’t talked a lot about was Howard being in foul trouble & fouling out. Their backup was a shell of her & didn’t even look to shoot. Howard hit a couple big 3s to keep it close until she fouled out. She’s been their best player in the big games this season.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
USC can now win the SEC regular season by winning out. MSU plays at USC in the regular season finale.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
One aspect that changed this game that wasn’t talked a lot about was Howard being in foul trouble & fouling out. Their backup was a shell of her & didn’t even look to shoot. Howard hit a couple big 3s to keep it close until she fouled out. She’s been their best player in the big games this season.

Surprising, if you listen to Schaefer's post game presser, he was not happy with Howard's play. In his words, 'yes we may have lost a bit of offense but she did not have a good game on the boards, did not box out (like the whole team) etc. '. My interpretation is that he views Howard's primary job to be a rebounding and defensive energy beast. If she does not do that to his standards, it's a bad day at the office.

Reaction Score
Surprising, if you listen to Schaefer's post game presser, he was not happy with Howard's play. In his words, 'yes we may have lost a bit of offense but she did not have a good game on the boards, did not box out (like the whole team) etc. '. My interpretation is that he views Howard's primary job to be a rebounding and defensive energy beast. If she does not do that to his standards, it's a bad day at the office.
I didn’t notice that. I agree she has to do those things but it seemed she was the only one doing everything on the other end. I admit, I was watching as a fan pulling for a Mizzou upset more than a critic. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom