Missouri @ Mississippi St (6) - 2/14/19 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Missouri @ Mississippi St (6) - 2/14/19

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think it’s cute when opposing fan bases fight with each other here. A bit like watching a cock fight. I just havent figured out which one is Little Jerry.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Credit to Missouri for playing an outstanding game. Two years ago we went to the finale and lost four starters. Last year back to the finale and lost four more starters.
This year’s team loses a valuable starter and back up from last year in Chloe Bibby.
That we have only lost two games is amazing to me. I was worried about this game all week and I knew we would have a let down after the UT game.
Tonight, Missouri took the fight to us, out hustled and out toughed us.
I know it is convenient for some to say that a team that shoots well from three will give us problems. That is true. Missouri was 11-26 last night from three. That will get you a win most nights If you are doing everything thing else well. Holmes/Danberry combined for 10 turnovers in one game. That is probably more than they have in 10 games.
State is team that is not without its flaws. The loss is a concern but I look for us to bounce back and play well at A&M.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
They probably will but shouldn't, coaches fall in love with size. They all feel they can make a big player better.
I've said it many times before and it bears repeating. You can't teach size, but some size you just can't teach. Watching McCowan's demeanor throughout the second half was disappointing. It looked to me a combination of frustration and how dare they. Without some kind of outside shot in the Association she's going to feel a lot of frustration.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If honesty is appreciated here, I think they’ll both go before Collier. Prominent 6’7 centers don’t come around that often.

That is very true. Do you think McCowan's stock dropped after her lackluster performance against Missouri?
Her body language towards the end of the game was glaring. I guess it depends on a team's needs when they're on the clock, and if their phone rings in the interim. Since you think they'll both go high, which one goes first? Don't forget, Liz Cambage (6'8") is looking to be traded from Dallas. She could also fill a team's need for a BIG post, and she's an experienced veteran, whereas these two will be rookies. Don't forget, on 17 July 2018, in a game against the NY Liberty, Cambage scored a WNBA record 53 points. So, we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
It was one game you had no business losing. Not at all like losing to Oregon. Or Baylor or Louisville. Or Stanford or Notre Dame. This was an unranked team - you have to beat them every time. EVERY time.

You might not have noticed this being a UConn fan, but no other team in the country beats unranked or barely ranked teams every time over multiple seasons. NO other team.

That's a compliment.

Carnac

Reaction Score
This is my first post on this board and I'm a lifelong MSU fan. Been following women's college basketball long before MSU became good at it. So count me as one who is NOT explaining this one away. We got beat. Mizzou played with passion and intensity, shot lights out. We did not. It happens. I've coached HS basketball for more than 20 years. I've seen teams win by 20+ over a team and then 2 weeks later lose to the exact same team by 20+. It's what makes this sport so great. You have to bring it every night. In football, more times than not, the bigger, faster, stronger team wins. Not so in basketball. It's a long season. More vulnerable to injury, illness (flu bug), travel problems, exams in the middle of the season, etc.

I never thought we were Final Four bound. Still don't. Just hoping for a nice run. We easily could lose at A&M, at USCe and in the SEC tourney before Selection day.

Welcome to the yard GDawg!! :) Nice to have you join us. Thanks for sharing your take. We look forward reading more of your thoughts and observations in the future. :cool:

Reaction Score
That is very true. Do you McCowan's think stock drop after her lackluster performance against Missouri? I guess it depends on a team's needs when they're on the clock, and if their phone rings in the interim. Since you think they'll both go high, which one goes first? Don't forget, Liz Cambage is looking to be traded from Dallas. She could also fill a team's need for a BIG post, and she's an experienced veteran, whereas these two will be rookies. We'll see.
Liz is a much better player then either of those 2, can pass, and played at a higher level of competition. The only comparison is 6-8 to 6-7.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Warning!!! Beware of unranked Missouri (19-7/8-4) in the post season. They have all of the makings of a "sleeper" team that can really destroy your bracket. If they can knock off #5 Mississippi State on the road, they can knock off other top seed(s) on a neutral site in March. I wouldn't look past #14 Iowa (20-5/11-3) either.
#3 Oregon (24-1/13-0) has won 17 games in a row, and are already looking like a FF team. They have a "firm" strangle hold on the Pac 12. They should run the table, and be a #1 seed in the Portland Regional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Welcome to the yard GDawg!! :) Nice to have you join us. Thanks for sharing your take. We look forward reading more of your thoughts and observations in the future. :cool:

Appreciate it. I should have mentioned "as a former point guard, my favorite women's player of all time was Sue Bird,". There. That should keep the Husky fans off my back for a day or two. ;-)

Reaction Score
Enjoyed every minute of this game .. thanks Sophie for giving the #1 seed back to UConn!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Appreciate it. I should have mentioned "as a former point guard, my favorite women's player of all time was Sue Bird,". There. That should keep the Husky fans off my back for a day or two. ;-)

They're a fickle bunch. Any misstep not giving enough praise to UConn can draw their ire at a moments notice. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think this is spot on. The extraordinary relentlessness with which many Mississippi State fans have defended and explained away is in some ways admirable but also very frustrating. (I of course say this a fan of an Oregon team against whom they "struggled" in a loss that--their fans have tirelessly pointed out--had mostly to do with what Mississippi State didn't do--or the refs--and very little to do with what Oregon did.)

Everyone obviously has a right to say what they think, and fans of different teams will inevitably see things differently, but the sheer number of posts along these lines after the Oregon game and in threads about seedings has likely invited, I believe, more pointed critiques than might otherwise have occurred.

Maybe for the few fans here, but on State message boards barely anyone thinks this team will get beyond the Elite 8. Most are pretty critical of the team when they loose, sometimes going overboard.

Reaction Score
Maybe for the few fans here, but on State message boards barely anyone thinks this team will get beyond the Elite 8. Most are pretty critical of the team when they loose, sometimes going overboard.
Well, I'm sure that is not the view of the coaching staff at MSU. Tough losses enlighten a coaching staff and team. MSU could very well come out of this experience much better. It is all up to the coaches and players. I think MSU's coaching staff will rise above, and, MSU is going to perform well in upcoming tournaments. I really don't think it matters this year if MSU is a 1 or 2 seed.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score

You're pretty much right. That's one thing I don't like about our fanbase. This pessimism and never thinking we'll be able to overcome all odds. This "thinking the worst" nonsense. I wonder where all those backwoods people come from really, and where their minds are at.

I've already stated that we are indeed very critical of our team. The Boneyard doesn't know that though based on the MissSt people here.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Loss at home to an unranked team. Not surprising given those variables.

Can you imagine the fallout in the BY if UConn were to lose to an unranked AAC opponent at home? :eek:
It would be ugly. :mad:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I was picking up on some team chemistry issues that concern me for Mississippi State. Check out this clip of Howard fouling out. It looks like she starts mouthing off to Cunningham and then both Scott and McCowan swoop in to shove Howard away and toward the bench.

To me this isn't the kind of team body language you normally see (or would hope to see) when a key player, and their leading scorer for the night, fouls out.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t make too much of that. It’s like a “get out of here before you tack on an additional tech” type of push. Howard should know better. It was still a close, winnable game.

Reaction Score
I was picking up on some team chemistry issues that concern me for Mississippi State. Check out this clip of Howard fouling out. It looks like she starts mouthing off to Cunningham and then both Scott and McCowan swoop in to shove Howard away and toward the bench.

To me this isn't the kind of team body language you normally see (or would hope to see) when a key player, and their leading scorer for the night, fouls out.

One of our best writers picked up on that exchange too. He made the suggestion that State let Missouri get under their skin and beat them mentally. I still wonder if there is some kind of underlying chemistry issue between Howard and McCowan. I still think we have a really good team, but I'm skeptical we could compete with the top 5 teams. Anything can happens depending on the matchups in the tournament, but I don't see this team being an elite team. That being said, I think all teams have a bad game in them, and the Missouri game isn't reflective of State's body of work.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I've said it many times before and it bears repeating. You can't teach size, but some size you just can't teach. Watching McCowan's demeanor throughout the second half was disappointing. It looked to me a combination of frustration and how dare they. Without some kind of outside shot in the Association she's going to feel a lot of frustration.
Have you noticed her reaction sometimes after she blocks a shot how she stares at the player whose shot she blocked and the officials do nothing to even warn her? She acts just like some of the men do. In the Oregon game she did it and one Oregon player looked at the official and asked why she did not "T" her up. I think she will have a tough time in the WNBA. It seems that when she is prevented from scoring a lot, she gets frustrated. She is going to have to broaden her game.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Have you noticed her reaction sometimes after she blocks a shot how she stares at the player whose shot she blocked and the officials do nothing to even warn her? She acts just like some of the men do. In the Oregon game she did it and one Oregon player looked at the official and asked why she did not "T" her up. I think she will have a tough time in the WNBA. It seems that when she is prevented from scoring a lot, she gets frustrated. She is going to have to broaden her game.
You know, I don't mind the stare down, gal with attitude thing. Gets me kinda pumped. But yeah, I think the first time her shot gets blocked in the Association because she can't shoot outside 5 feet for spit it'll change her perspective.

Reaction Score
They're a fickle bunch. Any misstep not giving enough praise to UConn can draw their ire at a moments notice. :rolleyes:
I guess our hospitality has been so extraordinary that at times you've been made to feel as if you were (or "should be"?) discussing WBB at a "neutral site." I really enjoy all our visitors, and the fact that many of them feel so welcome and at home here.

BTW, this is "here":
1550342475928.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member