Mississippi State just got better | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Mississippi State just got better

Reaction Score
I am old enough to remember when the girls could transfer after the first semester and play the next semester at their new school per AIAW rules.

Reaction Score
So he didn't trash her then.

Mike Zacchio

@Zacchio_LoHud

https://twitter.com/Zacchio_LoHud/status/955461313362350082

My goodness. Geno Auriemma on Andra Espinoza-Hunter transferring from UConn: "I didn't want her there anymore."
Raoul@Raoul_000

WBB: Talking yesterday about his freshman class, UConn coach Geno Auriemma with some blunt comments on why Andra Espinoza-Hunter is transferring (starts ~11:00 mark of video) https://youtu.be/fsrHXkz5cOc?t=11m …

This was all along a ploy by Geno, :rolleyes: knowing Miss St would probably seek and receive a waiver from the NCAA...since the flood gates were opened by ND. If anything he helped her out for opening his mouth...as you say. Don't understand your statement there, would that be a good thing for Geno/UConn if she sits out?

Nice reversal , but i doubt that he had this in his mind at all . MSST wasnt even on the radar at the time of those comments .

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
E-H is still the same problem child. And Vic is even harder on his minions. We shall see how this turns out. My guess is she leaves again. But if E-H thrives, then godblessthesystem.
Maybe, maybe not. It also could be that she learned a hard lesson while at UCONN. The coaches and program have rules in place for players at UCONN. As Geno said, repeatedly NOT doing what the rules require, has consequences.

If she's the type of kid who learns from her mistakes, then she will be fine. If she's the type who does not, she may find herself in hot water with Vic. But I like to give kids the benefit of the doubt. Time will tell of course! :)

Reaction Score
Another one we haven’t heard about yet is Dani Lawson. She’s a 6’2” forward who transferred from Purdue to UVA. UVA applied for a waiver. If they get it, she’ll probably start. She played in 5 games at Purdue last year and then missed the rest of the season with a knee injury. Since we don’t know the requirements to get a waiver, no idea if the injury plays a role in the decision. UVA could really use her when they play MSST this Friday.

Reaction Score
Plus Geno was drinking wine in that video or at least was holding a wine glass IIRC. One should not imbibe while on the clock.

Schmoozing with boosters is a huge part of a coaches job, it happens at every DI school in the country! Those practice facilities just don't build themselves.

Reaction Score
What she brings to the table for their team is what makes them more of a final four team at this point than previously. They obviously have a great 5 in McCowan and a great 4 in Howard. They are two of the best in the NCAA at their position. Holmes also provides them a solid PG. Not spectacular, but solid in the same way that William was. They badly needed an outside shooter who can play the 2... and that is what AEH gives them.

Appreciate your response. But I do not see a proven shooter in a player who played in only 7 collegiate games averaging single digit minutes. She also was not impressive when she did play. Hey who knows?!

Reaction Score
Schmoozing with boosters is a huge part of a coaches job, it happens at every DI school in the country! Those practice facilities just don't build themselves.
I'm aware of that, but maybe if he wasn't drinking he would have been a bit more measured in his response about the AEH situation.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

A random after thought.........the reasoning behind the NCAA granting her request might be because they may have concluded that Geno forced her to leave, and not that she left on her own accord.

If so, they decided that she should not be penalized a year and a half for that, and reinstated her right away. Until the NCAA is forced or compelled to give the reasons for each of their transfer decisions, we will continue to be kept in the dark scratching our heads try to figure out their rationale on the transfers they approve. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Seems like the reason she was granted immediate eligibility was that the NCAA determined she had no choice but to transfer and didn't leave on her own. I'm on the side of those leaning more to a transfer having to sit a year when transferring. I feel that way because most transfers are initiated by the player and not the school or coach. In this case, I can see where the NCAA would rule as they did since "it appears" that Geno made the decision for her to leave. And I say "it appears" from the quote that has been posted of him talking about her not being there any longer.

Reaction Score
A random after thought....the reasoning behind the NCAA granting her request might be because they may have concluded that Geno forced her to leave, and not that she left on her own accord. If so, they decided that she should not be penalized a year and a half for that, and reinstated her right away.

Based off their thread, I’m assuming thats the angle they took.

Reaction Score
Nobody has to sit out after transferring anymore?

Well, Slocum had to sit out last season for Oregon State.....which might have cost them a final 4 appearance and/or PAC-12 championship, as they had to play the whole year without an experienced PG. Yet Notre Dame and now MSU transfer players don't have to wait....the apparent inconsistency by the NCAA looks more like a bad joke all the time.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
the apparent inconsistency by the NCAA looks more like a bad joke all the time

Oregon had 3 players transfer out after last season. One of them, Maley, was just granted immediate eligibility at TCU. What about the other 2? Haven't heard anything. Not sure why Maley would have such a compelling reason for not having to sit out a season if McGwire and Campisano don't.

Aarion McDonald had to sit out a year after transferring from UW to Arizona, and UW had a coaching change. That seems to be a get out of jail free card for some players but obviously not universally applied. The lack of consistency is frustrating and yet another reason to distrust the NCAA.

Reaction Score
This is hearsay but here it is. Last spring I was in YNHH for a short stay and spent 20 minutes or so talking UConn basketball with a young orderly. She told me that she went to several basketball games because her best friend was Andra's cousin and Andra was able to give the cousin free tickets. The cousin said that Andra was dismissed because she refused to remove facial jewelry.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is hearsay but here it is. Last spring I was in YNHH for a short stay and spent 20 minutes or so talking UConn basketball with a young orderly. She told me that she went to several basketball games because her best friend was Andra's cousin and Andra was able to give the cousin free tickets. The cousin said that Andra was dismissed because she refused to remove facial jewelry.
There are literally dozens of photos of AEH online and not in a single one is she wearing facial jewelry. Let’s stop the silliness.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about concerning her eligibility... my understanding was that as long as you didn't play a certain amount of games in a given season then in essence you would be eligible to play after sitting out the rest of that season? I'm sure there are exceptions but this is what I've seen over the years...
As for her dismissal, well, you break the rules you pay the price. And, honestly, Geno shouldn't sugarcoat it. UConn's program has a set a values in place that have been the cornerstone of the program from the day him and CD arrived. Everyone should know these values will not be compromised for anyone, and hopefully that will mean something to every player and recruit and their families! Go Huskies!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, Slocum had to sit out last season for Oregon State.....which might have cost them a final 4 appearance and/or PAC-12 championship, as they had to play the whole year without an experienced PG. Yet Notre Dame and now MSU transfer players don't have to wait....the apparent inconsistency by the NCAA looks more like a bad joke all the time.
Did Oregon State put in a request for Slocum to get a waiver and be immediately eligible? If not OSU situation is significantly different than ND or MSU.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Wow. I never saw her with facial jewelry, so if she was forced to leave for that, well okay then! :p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Reaction Score

Let me State, I am a MSST grad and I love our Women Basketball Team and head coach Vic. Andra has been singled out by Vic as one of his easier to coach kids with a great work ethic. In addition, she appears to be very talented, definitely will make our Dawgs better, hope you guys get to see her up close in the Final Four! Praise the Lord and go DAWGS!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I chatted with some nice folks from Mississippi State at the Final Four in the spring. They were hoping that Andi could be the next Victoria Vivians. I told them that was probably a stretch and wouldn't happen immediately, if ever. I know some folks here think Andi was not a UConn-level talent. I think she can play some defense and hit some threes. She may help spread the floor, allowing McCowan more room inside. She'll help State. The question is how much. Andi is young for her class, so she needs to be mature. She also needs to adjust to the culture shock of Mississippi and endure Vic's practices, which are very hard.

Reaction Score
A lot of the people feel that the NCAA is biased towards UConn because Shabazz Napier blatantly called them out on national TV after the 2013 National Championship game.
It was worth it.

Reaction Score
Well, the thing is, Andra may never be asked to do what Vic asked of Victoria. Last year it was Victoria, Teaira, and three role players - who played their role exceptionally well, maybe two because Morgan William was spectacular at times. Regardless, that is very impressive for that team to have lost two games and been in the national championship, but it depended a lot on how well Tori played. One player who I do think could do what Victoria did is Rickea Jackson. Would be huge for Vic if he can get her signature. Maybe he has a better shot after Beal to South Carolina. She would see immediate minutes at MSST.

Reaction Score
There are literally dozens of photos of AEH online and not in a single one is she wearing facial jewelry. Let’s stop the silliness.
Neither here nor there, but there are pics on her twitter showing 2 small nose studs.

Reaction Score
I chatted with some nice folks from Mississippi State at the Final Four in the spring. They were hoping that Andi could be the next Victoria Vivians. I told them that was probably a stretch and wouldn't happen immediately, if ever. I know some folks here think Andi was not a UConn-level talent. I think she can play some defense and hit some threes. She may help spread the floor, allowing McCowan more room inside. She'll help State. The question is how much. Andi is young for her class, so she needs to be mature. She also needs to adjust to the culture shock of Mississippi and endure Vic's practices, which are very hard.
While I didn't view her as the next All American, her defense and outside shooting appeared perfect for this year's team. Likely will be missed

Reaction Score
They sure do look better. Beating UVA 45-17 at half and shooting 6-14 from 3. AEH with two of them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom