Mississippi State just got better | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mississippi State just got better

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm starting to think this plays the biggest role in the immediate eligibility issue, and perhaps some coaches are cool with it while others choose to be petty and spiteful.
Geno and Vic are friends. I could see them having an honest conversation when AEH transferred. Something like Geno saying she got off in the wrong foot at UConn and suggesting that a fresh start at MS St might be good for her. I don’t think Geno is the type of coach that will hold a grudge against an 18 year old kid who made some mistakes.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
He practically trashed the kid to the media
He said she did not do what she was told to do? Multiple times? That is not "trashing" her. People beg to know what happened, but when he tells them some do not like it. I was unhappy that a good basketball player who committed to UConn early did not work out, but not with Geno's explanation. I wish her well. And I wish the NCAA would publish an explanation for every waiver granted or denied. The more you know...

Reaction Score
I don't think it was ever said officially she was "dismissed". I think it was her choice to leave.

At the time it appeared very clearly that it was a mutual departure. I.e. her choice with Geno's blessing.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
At the time it appeared very clearly that it was a mutual departure. I.e. her choice with Geno's blessing.
I’m sure you are correct. If you recall there was a period of time over the winter break when AEH was not with the team, but not off the team either, presumably at home with her family to consider her options. I strongly suspect that before she left, Geno advised AEH of his concerns as well as his expectations going forward if she decided to remain with the team. Ultimately, she decided not to stay.

Reaction Score
You open up a whole new can of worms if you allow athletes to transfer without penalty.

What have been the penalties to the most recent transfers? I'm not up on most but the ND transfer last year is burned into my brain. I guess I raised too many kids but I believe if it is fair for one it is fair for all. This BS of one gets it because someone writes a better waiver than another does not sit well with me. 99 percent or better of the kids that arrive at Uconn stay. Some have tranferred for 20 different reasons. I can think of a few that transfer because they wanted (and got with the transfer) more PT they could see they'd sit if they stayed--is that wrong??
The "can of worms you speak of is related to the Coaches losing players---it's not like I propose a swinging door policy. Coaches will adjust.

Reaction Score
How many transfers from UConn have turned into superstars at their new school? EDD obviously, but she transferred out of basketball entirely.

Reaction Score
He said she did not do what she was told to do? Multiple times? That is not "trashing" her. People beg to know what happened, but when he tells them some do not like it. I was unhappy that a good basketball player who committed to UConn early did not work out, but not with Geno's explanation. I wish her well. And I wish the NCAA would publish an explanation for every waiver granted or denied. The more you know...
At the time this "unofficial recording of Geno's words" came out I was so angry that Geno would choose to rip a kid apart. I say many things to my spouse I'd never say in public. Meaning: What is said in private belongs and should stay PRIVATE.
I'm a big fan of AEH and wish her success in everything she chooses to do. I think Geno is a great Coach that does not always meet my expectation in his speaking/handling of the Women in his charge.
In this instance, Geno words should not be used to hang him. He was venting. We all do. He was frustrated because he saw her potential and APPARENTLY she wouldn't work towards that.
Waivers I don't like.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't think it was ever said officially she was "dismissed". I think it was her choice to leave.

Nope. I'm amazed that this comes up again and again. Officially no reason was given. Then a fan videoed an impromptu Q & A, more a monologue, by Geno at a Coach and fans get together and Geno let some of his displeasure out. Essentially he said a player will be told again and again what they are suppose to do and the coaches will keep telling and then no more telling because the player is gone because he doesn't want them there any longer.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Geno should have learned by now that when you are among friends, some of them are not your friends. I do not envy him his lot. Damned if he does or doesn't. Head bang

Reaction Score
How many transfers from UConn have turned into superstars at their new school? EDD obviously, but she transferred out of basketball entirely.
If basketball was only for superstars teams would only consist of 3 players. Kid transfer for lots of reason, one of which is: They love the game and want to play, regardless of their talent. Old stumble bum me walked around with a BB in my hand, and played anyone any time--if I needed talent, I'd never play.

Reaction Score
You may remember a series of articles about the NCAA transfer process made it clear that they were going to totally revamp the system and that within a year or two it would be much easier for athletes to transfer with the eventual possibility of total freedom of movement between schools without a waiting period...........haven't heard much about this lately but perhaps we're seeing the first phase of that here........

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You open up a whole new can of worms if you allow athletes to transfer without penalty.
No, no. The NCAA should either grant waivers to all or none. They are already a suspect organization. They should at least have guidelines for why waivers are granted for some and not for others.

Reaction Score
I think from the very beginning there were a whole host of people LOOKING TO BE OFFENDED. Of course to them Geno's comments were "ripping" AEH in the media....it NEVER occurred to them that his comment was taken WAY out of context.
My reading then (and still is) - if a player (any player) is not ALL IN on UCONN WBB, then "we don't want you here". "ALL IN" in the case of UCONN WBB means not only on the court, but also off the court. 24/7/365. There is no slacking off ever.
And for those of us on the outside (almost every person on the BY) - we DO NOT deserve any complete "transcript" for any past, present, or future player (regardless of how much any BY member thinks they deserve such).

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno should have learned by now that when you are among friends, some of them are not your friends. I do not envy him his lot. Damned if he does or doesn't. Head bang
Geno was among friends and supporters when the remarks were made. There is no greater friend and supporter of the program than the person who took the video. There was no ill intent or trickery in the taking or the posting of the video.
There was also no intent by Geno to "trash" a player. If the intent was to trash, Geno could have been much more specific about what "the program" asked and reminded AEH to do and she failed to do. Let's be very clear the requirement that AEH failed was a PROGRAM REQUIREMENT.

"We have simple rule at Connecticut" was what Geno said.

Reaction Score
I do not understand the rationale of some posts stating that Miss St will be a Final Four team now that AEH is eligible?! I think they are one based on McGowan and Howard alone.

AEH played one semester, 7 total games, and most of them were mop up minutes. I do not get it and I never saw it.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If, after taking the video into account, the NCAA concluded that her departure was in substance involuntary (regardless of the euphemisms used by both Geno and her to describe it), then granting a waiver was a reasonable decision. I believe the purpose of the "sit out" rule is to give programs some stability and some protection against players transferring on a whim, but if a player leaves after a coach (in one way or another) lets her know that it would be in her best interest to leave, that is another story entirely.

I agree that the waiver might not have been granted if the video did not exist.

Reaction Score
Geno was among friends and supporters when the remarks were made. There is no greater friend and supporter of the program than the person who took the video. There was no ill intent or trickery in the taking or the posting of the video.
100% Correct. If you saw the video, there was absolutely no way Geno didn’t know he was being recorded.

Reaction Score
There was also no intent by Geno to "trash" a player. If the intent was to trash, Geno could have been much more specific about what "the program" asked and reminded AEH to do and she failed to do. Let's be very clear the requirement that AEH failed was a PROGRAM REQUIREMENT.

"We have simple rule at Connecticut" was what Geno said
Curious at the desire to defend Geno on this one. Intent not a factor. As the leader of the most prominent women's sports program in the US, he is smart enough to know that whatever is said wherever it is said is going to become public.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Curious at the desire to defend Geno on this one. Intent not a factor. As the leader of the most prominent women's sports program in the US, he is smart enough to know that whatever is said wherever it is said is going to become public.
Definitely no intent to defend Geno remarks in this instance. I have previously stated that these particular remarks were perhaps better left unsaid. My intent was to defend the taker and poster of the video as a "non-Friend" ( enemy?) and to clarify that a Program expectation (rule) was not met by AEH.

Last edited by a moderator:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Last sentence: More than be surprised that he OK'ed the waiver; I'd be surprised if he did not help with the process. Geno has been gracious with many transfers--Geno pops off and when he calms down (like all of us) he is more rational. AEH deserves to play Div 1 if her talent and desire matches MS St needs. It was my understanding, I'll ask @rocky, that without a warrant it was illegal to record a person without their permission/
A warrant is less the issue than consent. The question is better stated as whether the speaker had a reasonable expectation of privacy. If so, you need "consent" to record the conversation. In most states anyone who is a party to the conversation can give that consent. That means that you can record a conversation that you are a party, in most states. Eleven states require the both (all?) parties to consent to recording a conversation. Pennsylvania is one of those states. An interesting question is whether a public figure speaking to a large group has an expectation of privacy in that conversation.*

* The comments above are not legal advice should not be considered a substitute for a consultation with attorney. The reader relies upon them at their own risk and CL82 shall have no responsibility for any damages regarding them. CL82 makes no warranty regarding them other than that's what he found out when he used "The Google." The word Google is a licensed trade name. CL82 is not affiliated with Google or any other search engine, but uses them from time to time in accordance with various license agreements. Sometimes he "borrows" license agreement-like language and inserts them into posts. This is largely done for comedic effect. The Boneyard is not responsible for CL82's posts or his somewhat tortured sense of humor.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What have been the penalties to the most recent transfers?
On the men's side Sid Wilson attended a summer class at St. John's and "transferred" to UConn and was forced to sit out a year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom