Mississippi State just got better | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mississippi State just got better

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Happy to see she was cleared...it's dumb that players get penalized for transferring schools.

AEH could provide a boost for Mississippi State, i think she's the highest ranked player Vic's coaches at MSU), but if she can provide consistency from deep, Mississippi State will be tough.

I’m a UConn fan, but I’m happy for AEH. For whatever reason, committing to UConn didn't work for her. My reaction to this news is good for her. She's an 18/19 year old that's still trying to figure things out, and Geno is an old coach set in his ways. Their personalities clashed, so be it.

Geno and UConn are not for everyone, even though Geno's program is "one size fits all" (same rules for everyone). Most coaches feel the same way. It's MY WAY or the highway. That was my college coach's approach, and we all knew it. Like Geno, he wanted things done HIS way. Since none of us wanted to leave, we did things his way. ;)

She’s a young college age athlete and should be playing somewhere. I’ll be interested to see how her availability and play impacts her team. I'm wishing her the best just like I wish Charli Collier all the best.

In the case of these two, it was never meant to be. I’m not mad at anyone. Holding no grudges, let's move on. Becoming eligible to play is good for her and Miss St, and will have zero impact or effect on UConn.

The Huskies have their own in-house issues to deal with. The health and continuous development of our players, and the success of the program is MY only concern. I've got tunnel vision. I'm focusing and concentrating on #12 this year, nothing else. No outside distractions. Somebody is going to win it, why not us? I’m just glad the season has begun. Like Tom Brady says, "LETS GO!!! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
AEH seems to have settled in very well at MSU judging by her twitter account.

If she has issues with work ethic, she went to the wrong coach, but dismissal from UConn may have been the wake up call that she needed.

If game one is an indication of how teams plan to play defense against MSU this year, AEH will have a LOT of wide open 3 opportunities.

Reaction Score
Nothing yet on Promise Taylor. It would be interesting to hear the NCAA explain why AEH gets the waiver vs Taylor not getting the waiver.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Any news on Promise Taylor, the sophomore center who transferred from Ole Miss? She also put in for a waiver.

And, interestingly (at least from my perspective), she was the one I thought we'd hear about first because her request would involve a coaching change at her previous school. (Matt Insell, who recruited her, was the coach let go at Mississippi. Ironically, he's now an assistant at Middle Tennessee State for his father where Tenn. transfer Anastasia Hayes just announced she's attending. Insell and his dad both recruited Hayes out of high school.)

The NCAA has seemingly been open to approving some waiver requests from players who have ultimately left programs that have had shake-ups in the coaching staffs, e.g.: Natalie Romeo (to Washington) and Jessica Shepard to (Notre Dame), both from Nebraska; and, Chatrice White (to FSU) from Illinois. All three athletes seemingly got an "atta' girl" from their former schools, as well. That's why I thought Taylor might have a better chance than Espinoza-Hunter.

The opaque (heck, metal) curtain that the NCAA keeps on these applications is frustrating for overall fans, to say the least in part because of the "what really matters" aspect is ???. The NCAA would be better served to reexamine this process and -- at the very least -- have a very discernible lists of factors that will be examined and weighed.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I’m a UConn fan, but I’m happy for AEH. For whatever reason, it didn’t work here for her. She’s a basketball player and should be playing somewhere. Becoming eligible to play is good for her and MS, but will have zero impact on UConn.

The Huskies have their own issues to deal with. I’ll be interested to see how her availability and play impacts her team.
The impact of AEH's immediate eligibility on UCONN will be TBD because Mississippi State and UCONN might meet up in the NCAA tournament. In much the same way Jessica Shepard's immediately eligibility impacted UCONN in the tournament last year. One of Mississippi State weakness this year was expected to be guard play and outside shooting to complement McGowan and Howard inside. AEH will certainly help MSU with that weakness.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The impact of AEH's immediate eligibility on UCONN will be TBD because Mississippi State and UCONN might meet up in the NCAA tournament. In much the same way Jessica Shepard's immediately eligibility impacted UCONN in the tournament last year. One of Mississippi State weakness this year was expected to be guard play and outside shooting to complement McGowan and Howard inside. AEH will certainly help MSU with that weakness.
But wouldn’t AEH have become eligible after the fall semester even without a waiver?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Any news on Promise Taylor, the sophomore center who transferred from Ole Miss? She also put in for a waiver.
And, interestingly (at least from my perspective), she was the one I thought we'd hear about first because her request would involve a coaching change at her previous school. (Matt Insell, who recruited her. Ironically, he's now an assistant at Middle Tennessee State where Anastasia Hayes just announced she's attending.)
The NCAA has seemingly be open to approving waiver requests from players who have ultimately left programs that have had shake-ups in the coaching staffs (Natalie Romeo (to Washington) and Jessica Shepard to Notre Dame and Chatrice White (to FSU) from Illinois. Note the initial cause at Illinois was an assistant coach).
The opaque (heck, metal) curtain that the NCAA keeps on these is frustrating for overall fans, to say the least. The NCAA would be better served to reexamine this process and -- at the very least -- have a very discernible lists of factors that will be examined and weighed.
You bring up some interesting points. Last year I had this theory that the NCAA was moving towards "Waivers for everyone" as @UConnCat coined it. Trying to think of waivers request that were submitted but denied. Cooper at SC was the only one I could think off. Have there been others?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Geno was among friends and supporters when the remarks were made. There is no greater friend and supporter of the program than the person who took the video. There was no ill intent or trickery in the taking or the posting of the video.
There was also no intent by Geno to "trash" a player. If the intent was to trash, Geno could have been much more specific about what "the program" asked and reminded AEH to do and she failed to do. Let's be very clear the requirement that AEH failed was a PROGRAM REQUIREMENT.

"We have simple rule at Connecticut" was what Geno said.
I did not intend to imply that the video was taken surreptitiously or released with malicious intent. My wording was poor. But at times friends do things that get you in hot water without intent to harm. My point is/was that Geno should know that and also that his job is so public that he is destined to be misquoted or misunderstood. I am not blaming anyone, merely sympathizing with all involved. Sorry for the lack of clarity. AEH was apparently warned and either chose to ignore the advice or was incapable of complying. Too bad all around. :oops:

Reaction Score
I do not understand the rationale of some posts stating that Miss St will be a Final Four team now that AEH is eligible?! I think they are one based on McGowan and Howard alone.

AEH played one semester, 7 total games, and most of them were mop up minutes. I do not get it and I never saw it.
What she brings to the table for their team is what makes them more of a final four team at this point than previously. They obviously have a great 5 in McCowan and a great 4 in Howard. They are two of the best in the NCAA at their position. Holmes also provides them a solid PG. Not spectacular, but solid in the same way that William was. They badly needed an outside shooter who can play the 2... and that is what AEH gives them.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But wouldn’t AEH have become eligible after the fall semester even without a waiver?
No. We tracked this very carefully at the time it happened right down to checking the Mississippi State academic calendar. From published reports AEH did not enroll at Mississippi State until after the Spring semester had already started. AEH stated an intent to enroll in community college after her departure from UCONN and I'm not sure how that works in terms of transfer rules and credit. Bottom line, from published reports was that AEH would not become eligible to play at MSU until the summer of 2019.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
You bring up some interesting points. Last year I had this theory that the NCAA was moving towards "Waivers for everyone" as @UConnCat coined it. Trying to think of waivers request that were submitted but denied. Cooper at SC was the only one I could think off. Have there been others?

I can't think of another request on the WCBB front, but can think of one on the Notre Dame campus: football to be exact. Alohi Gilman, a safety, transferred from Navy and petitioned for a waiver to play the 2017 season. The NCAA in September denied Gilman’s request for immediate eligibility, so he did not play in 2017. He's currently starting and playing well for the Irish (first of three years of remaining eligibilty).

It was, in part, is rejection by the NCAA that didn't have ome sfolks in the ND Athletic office that optimistic about Shepard's petition a few weeks later.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Lets say she met the requirements and stayed. Where would she fit in the rotation this year? Lets assume she gets stronger and understands the offense, would she make the top 7? In before Coombs? Irwin?

I don't think she showed enough in the short time she was here to be a contributor this year. I remember thinking how similar the games of Lexi and AEH were. I wonder if she will guard enough to satisfy Vic. My guess is spot duty at best for AEH this year.

Reaction Score
No, no. The NCAA should either grant waivers to all or none. They are already a suspect organization. They should at least have guidelines for why waivers are granted for some and not for others.

That was my entire point, I want there to be zero waivers granted. I think if you allow athletes to transfer without penalty you are just creating another scenario that you have to police. You don't think coaches, boosters, etc won't abuse a free transfer policy? It will become a rotating door of talent, and the smaller mid major schools will be looked at as feeder programs for the bigger schools.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Lets say she met the requirements and stayed. Where would she fit in the rotation this year? Lets assume she gets stronger and understands the offense, would she make the top 7? In before Coombs? Irwin?
I don't think she showed enough in the short time she was here to be a contributor this year. I remember thinking how similar the games of Lexi and AEH were. I wonder if she will guard enough to satisfy Vic. My guess is spot duty at best for AEH this year.
When AEH left she was already ahead of Coombs, Bent and Gordon in the rotation at guard. 7th sounds about right, but I think the UCONN rotation this season will only go 6 deep.

Reaction Score

Surely the friend and supporter of Geno and UC wbb could haveuseddiscetion on whether or not to release the video to the public! With a friend li,e that who needs Enemies?
I wonder what the consideration of this friend or the intent was in releasing it?

Reaction Score
What have been the penalties to the most recent transfers? I'm not up on most but the ND transfer last year is burned into my brain. I guess I raised too many kids but I believe if it is fair for one it is fair for all. This BS of one gets it because someone writes a better waiver than another does not sit well with me. 99 percent or better of the kids that arrive at Uconn stay. Some have tranferred for 20 different reasons. I can think of a few that transfer because they wanted (and got with the transfer) more PT they could see they'd sit if they stayed--is that wrong??
The "can of worms you speak of is related to the Coaches losing players---it's not like I propose a swinging door policy. Coaches will adjust.

The "can of worms I speak of" is related to corruption and the possibility for more rules to be violated.

Reaction Score
E-H is still the same problem child. And Vic is even harder on his minions.
We shall see how this turns out.
My guess is she leaves again.
But if E-H thrives, then godblessthesystem.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That was my entire point, I want there to be zero waivers granted. I think if you allow athletes to transfer without penalty you are just creating another scenario that you have to police. You don't think coaches, boosters, etc won't abuse a free transfer policy? It will become a rotating door of talent, and the smaller mid major schools will be looked at as feeder programs for the bigger schools.
I wouldn't trust the NCAA to police my local dog pound. A one size fits all transfer policy for the NCAA doesn't work. Your fears of corrupt coaches, boosters is relevant to revenue generating sports mostly. The NCAA for all sports already has a proper feeder programs in JUCO.

Reaction Score
So you're saying mid majors and maybe some JUCOs might have their players poached by the big state U? Doesn't the NCAA already have rules around that after a legendary head coach who is now dead used to do that?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Surely the friend and supporter of Geno and UC wbb could haveuseddiscetion on whether or not to release the video to the public! With a friend li,e that who needs Enemies?I wonder what the consideration of this friend or the intent was in releasing it?
His intent was to share a video among other friends and supporters of the UCONN program who were not able to attend this event. Just as he has done with hundreds of other videos and photographs from such events!

Reaction Score
Plus Geno was drinking wine in that video or at least was holding a wine glass IIRC. One should not imbibe while on the clock.

Reaction Score
Happy for Andra, hope she has a great career and none of her wins come against UConn. Lol.

Reaction Score
The "can of worms I speak of" is related to corruption and the possibility for more rules to be violated.
So, if the NCAA didn't require a waiver to transfer; the corruption in that area would end. Fewer rules, fewer violations, less corruption I would expect. As we have seen the NCAA has assessed penalties for minimal violation and huge violations get little (effective) penalties.

I get where you are coming from and respect that. These are young adults, I call them kids, the corruption/violations don't come from them. So, I say: don't punish the kids with bad rules.
Corruption will happen with those that are making the money. When an organization or Government is too large both tend to infringe on our basic freedoms. In this case transfers.

Reaction Score
I think I remember It was some personal issue she needed to take care, but apparently she never resolved or did not resolve to Geno's satifaction.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom