OT: - Mispronunciations you hate | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Mispronunciations you hate

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
This likely isn’t widespread at all, but I have a cousin who used to pronounce “breakfast” as “breakfRast” and “beginning” as “begEnning” and it would frustrate me to no end.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Not unique to Pittsburgh, but that is part of "Pittsburghese". Drove me nuts for years after moving here. I though everyone was illiterate.
A person might be illiterate if they went to a certain school in the area. I believe I saw the word in the Merriam Webster dictionary. The word is Pittilliterate. It can be used like this - Ankles need braked.

Reaction Score
"In-tres-ting" 3 syllables for a 4 syllable word. So guilty here.

I know I should I be saying 'In-ter-est-ing' but I'm too damn old now.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Nucular rather than nuclear. And......"Three painters spoke with each other about it's color."

Reaction Score
Irregardless is a word. Not complicated. It's in the dictionary. You can say it's redundant in its meaning or means the exact same thing as regardless. You can say it's nonstandard or irregular. You can say it's awkward and doesn't read well. Those would all be opinions and are valid.

But it is a word.

Didn't think this was a word either, but clearly Webster has given up on challenging made up or blended words.

History and Etymology for irregardless

probably blend of irrespective and regardless

I just hate the abomination "road to hoe" used by so many sports announcers. It's both a mispronounciation, a made up word choice and an indication they have no idea what comparison they are attempting.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
hybrid does not equal "hi-bread"

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
And I work with a guy who's a published author, and he insists on pronouncing NASA Nassau.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Didn't think this was a word either, but clearly Webster has given up on challenging made up or blended words.

History and Etymology for irregardless

probably blend of irrespective and regardless
This makes my head hurt. So the dictionary is now just conforming to the lowest common denominator.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
The second is my biggest pet peeve. My daughter and I have a game called “Idiot Spelling Bee”. She found some website with stupid kid names with parents who bend the rules of phonics. She then has me try to spell them. I’m a pretty great speller. I have spelled 0% right. We used to play a lot but we have passed many, many hours during the pandemic with this game.

If you name your kid “Knaghtahleigh” (and I’m not kidding), you deserve to get punched in the face. It’s also why we started only writing “Love, Emily”on Valentines in elementary school. Because I won’t acknowledge your kid’s name.
Laughed out loud because it made me think of this...cracks me up no matter how many times I watch it
pronouncing names

Reaction Score
I have a friend who says "fuffoastah" instead of "supposed to." This guy makes well over 6 figures and is quite a mover and shaker in the Connecticut healthcare system.

Reaction Score
Worked with a guy years ago who said sangwich. I think samwich would have been preferable.
It seems as though sangwich was like the word used most often where I grew up. I hated it also axe for ask.

Reaction Score
“Warshington” in place of Washington; “warshing machine” vs washing machine. Drives me nuts, but we all have our flaws:

I call coleslaw “co-slaw”. I know it’s wrong, but oh well.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Lose and loose are used incorrectly every single day on social media.
Okay...my #1. How is even possible to mess up? And even if its a spellcheck gaffe....at least correct this.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Joking?
"I could care less" is great when used properly. It let's a person know you have the capacity to not give more of a damn about whatever it is being disgust, but either due to the persons personality or the subject you aren't investing the time and energy (or lack there of). You are just moving on.
It is: I couldn't care less
And : whatever is being discussed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom