OT: - Mispronunciations you hate | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Mispronunciations you hate

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
“Warshington” in place of Washington; “warshing machine” vs washing machine. Drives me nuts, but we all have our flaws:

I call coleslaw “co-slaw”. I know it’s wrong, but oh well.
Western PA guys I used to hang with in my street racing days, said Woorsh for Wash. And a pair of pliers was a plar.

Reaction Score
It seems as though sangwich was like the word used most often where I grew up. I hated it also axe for ask.

Sangwich is Italian American slang. My family never said it that way but it was pretty common in New York.

Reaction Score
A lady at the Chinese restaurant just said she was there to pick up her “General Toce” chicken. I don’t even know the right way to prounounce tso but the way she pronounced it got me more angry that I should’ve been for some reason.

Reaction Score
Okay...my #1. How is even possible to mess up? And even if its a spellcheck gaffe....at least correct this.
How about when people write too with one O? It drives me crazy. Maybe it’s acceptable slang but is it huge effort to add one more O??

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Everyone is calling social distancing quarantine. You’re not in quarantine unless you’re sick.

Reaction Score
This likely isn’t widespread at all, but I have a cousin who used to pronounce “breakfast” as “breakfRast” and “beginning” as “begEnning” and it would frustrate me to no end.
My daughter says breakfast “breffkist”. It makes me crazy. Some people in her dad’s family say it (south Philly roots). She doesn’t say “wooder” or “Iggles”, but she says this grating thing.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Sangwich is Italian American slang. My family never said it that way but it was pretty common in New York.
That would explain it. His name was Donato Salvatore.

Poe

Reaction Score
Nuclear, when pronounced nuke-you-ler.

Also, “on accident”

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'ammends' how the heck can u think 'ammends' sounds like 'ahlmonds?'
almonds has a friggin L! where's the L sound in 'ammends?'

Reaction Score
I have so many... but, one that really chaps my behind is...

"Aren't I" (Are not I????) .....It doesn't get much worse than that.

The proper response is "Am I not..."

Reaction Score
I personally can't stand it when someone doesn't pronounce the letter t when it comes after an n.

For example: "innernet" instead of the proper "internet"

Another is when people say "hundrit" instead of "hundred".

What are yours?
Whenever someone would mispronounce Christian Vital. It is NOT Vit-All, it is not Vitale. It’s the most triggering thing to listen to the past 4 years

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Just thought of something. I knew two people who say this, and both are from Philly. But they were related, so it may be family thing rather than a Philly thing. They put a T on the end of cousin. As in cuzzint. I loved these people. But when they got to talking about their family, sooner or later, the fingernails were going to hit the blackboard.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
My mother-in-law says "earl" for oil. Never fails to get a chuckle whenever we hear it.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
My mother-in-law says "earl" for oil. Never fails to get a chuckle whenever we hear it.
I know a lot of guys from the deep south that pronounce it all. As in, "Dju rimimber tuh changer all?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
On the redundancy front, I'm amazed at how many restaurant menus say "with au jus" or worse, "with au jus sauce"
I think my all-time favorite from the Department of Redundancy Dept. is when they used to introduce "The Man of a Thousand Masks- Mil Mascaras!"

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think it may be a mid-west thing, but I've heard a fair amount of people just eliminate "to be" from something that needs to be done. "Shoes need shined", "House needs painted"
Sounds like the cast of Sling Blade

Reaction Score
The second is my biggest pet peeve. My daughter and I have a game called “Idiot Spelling Bee”. She found some website with stupid kid names with parents who bend the rules of phonics. She then has me try to spell them. I’m a pretty great speller. I have spelled 0% right. We used to play a lot but we have passed many, many hours during the pandemic with this game.

If you name your kid “Knaghtahleigh” (and I’m not kidding), you deserve to get punched in the face. It’s also why we started only writing “Love, Emily”on Valentines in elementary school. Because I won’t acknowledge your kid’s name.

What about the mother who named their child Abcde (pronounced Ab-si-dee)

Reaction Score
What about the mother who named their child Abcde (pronounced Ab-si-dee)
So stupid. That hasn’t come up in the game yet but I might get that one right because I’ve seen the story.
Over/under on when parents start spelling it “phonetically” to make it unique?

Reaction Score
Oh, another fun thing to pass the time - check out Scottish Buzzfeed or Scottish Twitter. They spell their accents which is hilarious, one. The other thing is that they are just freaking funny people.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom