OT: - Mispronunciations you hate | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Mispronunciations you hate

Reaction Score
I think it may be a mid-west thing, but I've heard a fair amount of people just eliminate "to be" from something that needs to be done. "Shoes need shined", "House needs painted"

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
And both should be banned from being in a WiFi password.
My health insurance # has a letter O in the middle of a sequence of numerals. It has caused numerous issues when various medical offices misread it and then don't get payed because the # doesn't match. With all the runaround to get it corrected and resubmitted, they end up getting paid way late. I think the insurance company put that in there on purpose to get a month or two of extra use of the money.

Reaction Score
In regards to! I hear so many professionals use this as a go to expression to sound intelligent. And then instead of than.

“with regard to the economy”
“Give my regards to John”
“UConn is better THAN Syracuse”

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Irregardless is a word. Not complicated. It's in the dictionary. You can say it's redundant in its meaning or means the exact same thing as regardless. You can say it's nonstandard or irregular. You can say it's awkward and doesn't read well. Those would all be opinions and are valid.

But it is a word.

The dictionary folks cave in and add stuff like that that's in common usage even though it's wrong, all the time. The one that bothers me is factoid. It was a perfectly good word with a real meaning. (an incorrect statement that's repeated so often it gets mistaken for the truth). Then USA Today usurped the word, and used it as a title for trivial facts they featured. And now the original and real meaning of the word has been virtually lost, as the USA Today corruption of its meaning is listed first in the dictionary, ahead of the original meaning.
I know that lnguage evolves with usage, but to me, factoid's meaning (new) is kind of a factoid (old).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I think it may be a mid-west thing, but I've heard a fair amount of people just eliminate "to be" for something that needs to be done. "Shoes need shined", "House needs painted"

Not unique to Pittsburgh, but that is part of "Pittsburghese". Drove me nuts for years after moving here. I though everyone was illiterate.

Reaction Score
The dictionary folks cave in and add stuff like that that's in common usage even though it's wrong, all the time. The one that bothers me is factoid. It was a perfectly good word with a real meaning. (an incorrect statement that's repeated so often it gets mistaken for the truth). Then USA Today usurped the word, and used it as a title for trivial facts they featured. And now the original and real meaning of the word has been virtually lost, as the USA Today corruption of its meaning is listed first in the dictionary, ahead of the original meaning.
I know that lnguage evolves with usage, but to me, factoid's meaning (new) is kind of a factoid (old).
Right, like anyways. It’s not a word but because so many people use it they caved and put it in the dictionary as an alternate use.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Right, like anyways. It’s not a word but because so many people use it they caved and put it in the dictionary as an alternate use.
Similarly, so many people misused "literally" that Merriam Webster updated the definition to basically mean it's exact opposite - figuratively. That pisses me off. ("It literally blew my mind." Ugh)

Reaction Score
What makes me boil is when people end sentences with "at" or even partial sentences ending the same way. For example, "let's go over where we're at", or "I'm not sure where we're at", etc.

Reaction Score
One of the most mispronounced words in the English language is espresso. There is no x. There are also several words the have two correct pronunciations. Such as creek.
I’ve always laughed at this too. I think people think it’s like a caffeine express to the brain.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I worked with a guy years ago who mispronounced the days of the week. "Day" became "dee". Mondee, Tuesdee, etc. The worst was Saturday which became Seerdee. He was from Bristol, is that a Bristol thing?
Every priest I've ever known does this

Reaction Score
I hate it when people pronounce the word "from" as if it were "than." Example: "A horse is different than a cow." Oh, really? Is that to say a horse differs than a cow?

I also hate it when people misspell their given names, as, for example, the pro golfer who spells his name "Jhonattan" instead of "Jonathan." People say, "Hey, it's your name. You can spell it the way you like." Oh, really? Does that mean you can spell your name B-O-B and pronounce it "Jack?"
The second is my biggest pet peeve. My daughter and I have a game called “Idiot Spelling Bee”. She found some website with stupid kid names with parents who bend the rules of phonics. She then has me try to spell them. I’m a pretty great speller. I have spelled 0% right. We used to play a lot but we have passed many, many hours during the pandemic with this game.

If you name your kid “Knaghtahleigh” (and I’m not kidding), you deserve to get punched in the face. It’s also why we started only writing “Love, Emily”on Valentines in elementary school. Because I won’t acknowledge your kid’s name.

Reaction Score
I'd go with axt, axe and aks for 'ask'. I cringe every time Ray Romano says this on "Everybody Loves Raymond".

It reminds me of my students who say this all the time.

Also, I'm returning the book to the 'libary'.

Reaction Score
I used to say 'melk' but a cute girl slapped that out of me. Now I don't like it when other people mispronounce milk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom