OT: - Mispronunciations you hate | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Mispronunciations you hate

Reaction Score
Revert back been taken yet?
The back negates the revert.
I disagree. It may be redundant, but the "back" doesn't negate the meaning of "revert," as is the case with a double negative.

Reaction Score
French really hate seeing Rue Street here in the states.
I was over in England an the name of a road was "The" street.
Not a fan of people saying "I may do that" or "that may work" instead of saying "I might could do that". "Mighty could" is a criminally underrated colloquialism.
People where I live are always saying “might could”. I don’t really like it, but it beats “fixing too” or more appropriately “fixin to”.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
That yellow flowering plant we now see is forsithia. I always say frasithia. I don't care.

Reaction Score
Are you from the Philly area? Seems like a Philly area thing.
From CT. It's funny because I went to Marist College in Poughkeepsie, NY. Everyone asked if I was fromnoun Boston or in general MA because I said 'wicked' a lot.
tion
Back to the mispronunciations, my dad says idear and gawd when he gets nervous. It's always ineteresting when he's our church's lesson reader.

Reaction Score
My 12 year old grandson admonished me for dropping the (h) in the huge
I think in CT uge. Is acceptable if not accurate

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I disagree. It may be redundant, but the "back" doesn't negate the meaning of "revert," as is the case with a double negative.

Since revert means to go back "revert back" means going back back.
Similar to when a person means to say they've changed and they mean to say they've done a 180 but instead say they did a 360. You are back where you started.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
People where I live are always saying “might could”. I don’t really like it, but it beats “fixing too” or more appropriately “fixin to”.

But when you are thinking about doing something and you combine them in to "might could be fixin' to" is pure heaven.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I wrote a term paper on the universality of colloquialisms, and the key was the phrase (approximate phonetic spelling) "Ahm a fixin a git" means exactly the same thing in rural Texas, Kentucky, the backwoods of Maine and the entirety of Appalachia, and is pretty much pronounced the way I spelled it phonetically throughout.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Might have been listed before but I hate when people add an "r" when it doesn't belong such as warter instead of water.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
When people try to say "ask" and they say "ax."

When people pronounce Appalachia like "Apple AY chia" instead of "Apple ACH ia."

Reaction Score
water in philly is wooder

i’ve been living here 15 yrs wooder sounds perfectly fine nowadays

Reaction Score
A lady at the Chinese restaurant just said she was there to pick up her “General Toce” chicken. I don’t even know the right way to prounounce tso but the way she pronounced it got me more angry that I should’ve been for some reason.

Given her clear over-the-top behavior, I think you showed amazing restraint. Pretty sure I would have decked her on the spot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since revert means to go back "revert back" means going back back.
Similar to when a person means to say they've changed and they mean to say they've done a 180 but instead say they did a 360. You are back where you started.
Still disagree. Including the word "back" can be reasonably called redundant, but it does not modify the meaning of "revert." The situation is no different than saying "progress forward." Would you argue the inclusion of "forward" changes the meaning of "progress?"

Also, linguistically speaking, the 180 vs. 360 faux pas is not similar to the "revert back" scenario whatsoever.

Reaction Score
A lot of the complaints aren't about pronunciations.

It's not that surprising though, I guess.

Reaction Score
My mother, who spent 34 years as an elementary school teacher, was militant during our childhood about us not pronouncing the T in "often". I still pronounce it with a silent T out of habit but I hardly ever hear anyone else say "off-in".

Not sure if this qualifies but I can't stand when people say "I'm standing on line" instead of "in line". "On accident" instead of "by accident" is another one that gets my goat.

Reaction Score
Oregon

85% of people in the northeast pronounce it incorrectly

That's okay. I once met a girl from Oregon at a wedding in California--she was in her mid-20s--who didn't know that Connecticut was a state. She claimed she had never heard of it. I'm fine with mispronouncing her home state in retaliation. ;)

My other favorite was a girl from Florida who thought that A) Boston was south of NYC B) NYC and Boston were 30 minutes away from each other.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this qualifies but I can't stand when people say "I'm standing on line" instead of "in line". "On accident" instead of "by accident" is another one that gets my goat.
Similar to TV saying that a show is broadcast at 10 am “on the west”. It’s either in the west or on the west coast, but I hate hearing “on the west”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom