Mir transfer to Virginia, granted immediate eligibility [merged thread] | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Mir transfer to Virginia, granted immediate eligibility [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There is no way Virginia should be this bad. They have a fertile recruiting ground and top level academics.
It is always interesting, at least to me, how programs succeed expectations and some programs remain mediocre or worse. I wish Coach Thompson the best.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Actually I think it’s too late for her to improve things. I believe this is her 5th year at UVA. She’s only recruited 1 top 100 player - a kid who originally committed to Marquette and came here when their coach left. That kid left a year later for USC west. I think Tina did consult with Dawn before coming here. Tina was an iconic player and it’s been very sad to see her inability to make this program better. Joanne Boyles didn’t succeed, but was way more successful. I don’t even know if Tina is a good game coach, bc the team is so under skilled that it’s hard to evaluate. I believe this is is the last year of her contract and no word of an extension.

Time to move on…
I think you're right. :cool: There is an eager, bright and enthusiastic young assistant out there somewhere in the vast reaches of D-1 WBB, that
(is capable and) would love the opportunity to come in and turn that program around, and make a name for her/his self. All you have to do is find them. I wonder how much longer your AD is going to wait for Thompson to substantially improve her team and won-loss record?
It's time that Virginia WBB become relevant again. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The logic behind going to Virginia escaped me but this could be the answer. For those committed to basketball, maybe just the ability to play is enough. While Mir had solid stats, 9 rebounds/11 points, Virginia had a few players in foul trouble. Should be interesting to see what the future brings.
A forward fouling out in 12 minutes.... Good opportunity for the best athlete on the roster - Nice!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
There is no way Virginia should be this bad. They have a fertile recruiting ground and top level academics.

I agree,they shouldn't be this bad. UVA was the first WCBB team I rooted for in my youth, and its disappointing that they are now bottom feeders in the conference They should be a top 4 ACC program. That being said...I feel that the Cavs and Duke recruit the same kind of student athlete... so if UVA returns to be a power.. that would damage our recruiting. In that regard.. they should extend Thompson's contract another 15-20 years ;):confused::cool::p:D:eek::):rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Virginia lost to Florida State by 62-37 on Sunday. Mir played 21 minutes and tallied 7 points (1-3 FG, and 5-8 FTs), 4 rebounds, 1 block, 7 turnovers, and 4 fouls. The TO number is troubling.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Virginia lost to Florida State by 62-37 on Sunday. Mir played 21 minutes and tallied 7 points (1-3 FG, and 5-8 FTs), 4 rebounds, 1 block, 7 turnovers, and 4 fouls. The TO number is troubling.

She's essentially a freshman and is likely going to look like one for a while. Something those who clamor for Geno to play everyone significant minutes don't seem to realize.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
She's essentially a freshman and is likely going to look like one for a while. Something those who clamor for Geno to play everyone significant minutes don't seem to realize.
Sometimes when some players get playing time, they stop looking like freshmen. See Caroline. Just saying.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Sometimes when some players get playing time, they stop looking like freshmen. See Caroline. Just saying.
Caroline still has a lot of freshman moments, but the combination of her scoring prowess and our short guard rotation keeps her on the floor. Mir doesn’t have quite the same upside, which, combined with those freshman moments, is what kept her out of games.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I saw Mir in 2 high school games. I liked her game, but Roland Park lost both times. I think Mir lacked for good coaching in high school. I hope she does very well at Virginia, but the team isn't good. The education, in contrast, should be excellent.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Actually I think it’s too late for her to improve things. I believe this is her 5th year at UVA. She’s only recruited 1 top 100 player - a kid who originally committed to Marquette and came here when their coach left. That kid left a year later for USC west. I think Tina did consult with Dawn before coming here. Tina was an iconic player and it’s been very sad to see her inability to make this program better. Joanne Boyles didn’t succeed, but was way more successful. I don’t even know if Tina is a good game coach, bc the team is so under skilled that it’s hard to evaluate. I believe this is is the last year of her contract and no word of an extension.

Time to move on…
It probably is. I watched their game Sunday night. I wanted to see Mir play. I watched for 5 minutes. Virginia did not score during that time period. Virginia is not a good team. I couldn’t watch anymore.

Florida State won the game 62-47. I usually don’t advocate for a coach to be fired, but I will ask given where this team is, and question how much have they improved since Thompson’s arrival, how do you bring her back?

The Cavaliers are currently 3-15. This is the type of record that will often get you fired. The AD has to answer to someone. How do you promote or suggest keeping any coach that can’t win 25% of their games? Virginia is currently at the bottom of the ACC Conference standings at 0-8, and sinking fast. :confused:

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Couch Thompson has to happy with Mir's transfer! In 2 games Mir is averaging 24 minutes per game versus languishing on the bench with other capable underclassmen. I'll bet she is happy she made the switch!
As she learns her teammates and they her, her turnovers should reduce.
1643746258252.png

Click on spreadsheet insert to expand for ease of reading.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Mir wasn't good enough for this team.
Says who? You? Ha! Or Geno? "Oh geez look what Caroline can do now that I am FORCED to play her." No one knows how really good a player is, until you give them an honest chance to demonstrate their skills. If they were not good enough for this team, then why recruit them in the first place. By the way, good enough for this team is not a very high bar. Now that the world knows just bad this team is without Paige; she should have receive an award for best freshman EVER. When on the floor she elevated the average and good players to make a FF appearance last season.

Reaction Score
I think you're right. :cool: There is an eager, bright and enthusiastic young assistant out there somewhere in the vast reaches of D-1 WBB, that
(is capable and) would love the opportunity to come in and turn that program around, and make a name for her/his self. All you have to do is find them. I wonder how much longer your AD is going to wait for Thompson to substantially improve her team and won-loss record?
It's time that Virginia WBB become relevant again. :rolleyes:
Interestingly, the AD was the 1st black woman AD at a power 5 school. Tina was her first hire and the AD’s background was as a bb player. The current RI coach could be a candidate. She played with Dawn at UVA and is doing an excellent job at RI.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Interestingly, the AD was the 1st black woman AD at a power 5 school. Tina was her first hire and the AD’s background was as a bb player. The current RI coach could be a candidate. She played with Dawn at UVA and is doing an excellent job at RI.
I don’t know what a 3-15 record says to you. To me, it says it’s time for a change. The AD also has a duty and responsibility to the university to hire the best coaches available and give them all as much help and support possible.

As an administrator, you can only go along with a coach so far. Thompson’s program is going in the wrong direction.

As I observed in another thread, Kim Mulkey has been at LSU less than a year. Tigers we’re unranked to begin the season, but now are now ranked #12 in the top 25 nationally. There aren’t too many employers (colleges/universities) that will tolerate mediocrity for long.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He o should of played this girl more minutes. Adhesive doing well so far at Virginia

Reaction Score
troubling but not entirely surprising.............she's so giddy to have playing time she doesn't know what to do with the ball.........:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I don’t know what a 3-15 record says to you. To me, it says it’s time for a change. The AD also has a duty and responsibility to the university to hire the best coaches available and give them all as much help and support possible.

As an administrator, you can only go along with a coach so far. Thompson’s program is going in the wrong direction.

As I observed in another thread, Kim Mulkey has been at LSU less than a year. Tigers we’re unranked to begin the season, but now are now ranked #12 in the top 25 nationally. There aren’t too many employers (colleges/universities) that will tolerate mediocrity for long.
Trust me, I’ve been saying for a couple of years that Tina needs to be replaced. Other than the record, she’s done a horrible job recruiting and shows almost no emotion on the sideline. We’re in total agreement about her future at UVA.

sun

Reaction Score
VA's lack of winning may not be Tina's fault.
VA is in a tough conference and if it were in a weaker conference then their record would be better.
It took some years for at least 2 UConn players turned coaches to establish a winning record.
I admire that a coach doesn't get too emotional because there's other ways to teach and get their point across. It can set a good example for the players and maybe even sends a message to potential recruits that they will be treated with dignity, won't be verbally abused and the coach acts like an adult.
Whether Tina is allowed to stay or not, a coach's record is not the only measure of a program's success.
Their AD knows what kind of effort that she's making and may even fully approve of her methods and recruitment moves.
If everyone in the program is performing to the best of their ability, including the coach & the AD, then winning is not the only measure of success.
The university can be rewarded in different ways besides basketball championships.
Just like in life, people can fail in one aspect of life and be extremely successful in another.
So what, Michael Jordan could not be a professional baseball player but he had a lot of fun trying.
And Mike Bloomberg couldn't become President, so what does that mean?
After all, what's the difference between a team with a perennial losing record & a team that loses in the FF year after year?
Since only one team can be the national champion, then every other school is also a loser.
They both have the same mission to teach BB skills and provide opportunities to play.
BB is just a team sport that contributes to teaching kids how to fulfill their passion to play as they grow to become mature adults. no matter what that passion is.
It's not every BB player's passion to turn pro which quite often is what it takes to win against tough competition.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tonight against Virginia, Mir had 20 points on eight for 12 shooting, with four rebounds, three steals and two assists.
Huhhh???? I thought she transferred to Virginia.

Reaction Score
Huhhh???? I thought she transferred to Virginia.
You are way too fast. I immediately edited it as I was distracted watching the men’s game while I was posting. I fixed it immediately though, you were just too quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom