Mir, redux | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mir, redux

Reaction Score
I like Mir a lot but I don't see the Kalana Greene comparison. I think more Gabby-like. I don't think Mir has the -guard-like open-court play that Greene had. For example, I missed most of today, but has there been one time this year that Mir has shown that when she catches a pass beyond 25+ feet from the basket that she can put the ball on the floor and make a pass creating for others? I think 10-15 feet after she catches a pass she can do- but a guard like KG - you could pass her that ball at 25 + feet or even on a fastbreak near halfcourt court and she could do a drive-and-dish. I just don’t think she has those passing guards skills yet to be a Kalana-type.

IMO what's hurt her this year is the UCONN guards overall haven’t been as good shooting the ball as we're normally accustomed to-which means the defenses sag. Normally, other years she could be a highly valued weapon in haflcourt because “she would have space to operate” imo. And if the defenses sag - how is she going to score with so much size and athleticism vs the elite teams? She can score vs the Big East and small teams like Arkansas. So for now and up until 1 round or two in Tourney you can put her anywhere and she’ll probably be effective enough.

Prior to this point, I just figured that if Geno ever did start to play her more it would mean that in practices she probably figured out how to score more efficiently in the inside when she goes against Griff, Edwards, Liv and Piath. Apparently she hadn’t but maybe we’ll see for ourselves going forward.

If he plays her- great. And I know she can do well enough vs the B.E. and round 1 or 2. But I think her game needs the perimeter players to knock down perimeter shots to open the lane for her. Anna can be very big for her in this regard imo. Mir seems to have an incredible electric 1st step when she faces the basket. And if she shows she can hit 15-foot jump shots - the better too. She could be terrific. IMO she needs an open lane- not congested though. Otherwise she is very limited as of this year unless something has recently changed in her game.

Reaction Score
1st half minutes are important for bench players. Even if it's the last minute of 1Q. How much harm could she do?
But then when she gets called upon next she's ready to go. ... Now with Muhl questionable and Makurat limited, you may have to rely on a kid that had only got mop-up time the last month? ... if she's not good enough to play in blowouts, how can you expect her to play important minutes?

Reaction Score
Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere.

One of the sportscasters said during the game that Geno has been very happy with Mir’s practices and that he’d like to find more minutes for her. That made me ?. Mir adds a new wrinkle for opponents. She’s always looking for her shot but hasn’t had enough playing time to smooth out the rough spots. More minutes could only benefit her, and the team, as she develops her game. She may pick up some of Nika’s minutes in the BEast tourney as Geno will not play Nika too much until she’s 100%.

If Mir becomes another viable option for Geno, if someone has an off night, Geno could possibly have another player to sub in. Mir is an unknown that the other guys probably haven’t seen on tape or prepared for. That makes UConn a little more dangerous, hence the ?

Full disclosure, I’m a big Mir fan. There’s something about this kid that I like. Reminds me of a Kalana Greene, an underrated Husky that I thought never got her due.
Pulling for Mir; you are right about the surprise element she brings off the bench.

Reaction Score
I am a big Mir fan but I see two deficiencies to be corrected as she goes forward. First, she needs a go to move about 8-10 feet from the basket. It can just be a one dribble straight pull up but she has to be able to score other than directly under. She is such a quick leaper that she will be able to get it off more times than not. Secondly, she needs to diligently box out and not just rely on her jumping ability. I thought she played really well today and hopefully we will see more of her tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Mir is a really good athlete! In high school she was able to do what she did because of her athletic ability. It was great to watch her aggravate Farley before that intentional foul was called. Right now she is a really good athlete that plays basketball. There's nothing wrong with that but at the D1 level you need to work on your basketball skills and she's not the only one.

Reaction Score
You know, I agree that Mir needs to be able to shoot the 12-15 footer. However, if Geno actually points out her improved performances in practice and gives her minutes (substantial minutes) at this late date, I have to believe she has really done something special to warrant it. I realize that the minutes she got were probably increased due to Nika’s injury but it sounds like Geno was looking for an opportunity to give her some run regardless. I choose to take this as a possible sign that Mir may have made a breakthrough. Aubrey cannot hit the outside shot either yet is playing regular minutes. Mir is an extremely exciting player, one that rarely fails to show something special in her limited time on the court. I just pray that she will build on this and continue to show improvement in practice. One thing is clear about Geno, he rewards effort and improvement in practice, with playing time on court. Go Mir!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Mir is a really good athlete! In high school she was able to do what she did because of her athletic ability. It was great to watch her aggravate Farley before that intentional foul was called. Right now she is a really good athlete that plays basketball. There's nothing wrong with that but at the D1 level you need to work on your basketball skills and she's not the only one.
that was fun to see, d'ing her up to the point she slapped her hand away lol. reminds me of how KG use to D up on players lol

Reaction Score
Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere.

One of the sportscasters said during the game that Geno has been very happy with Mir’s practices and that he’d like to find more minutes for her. That made me ?. Mir adds a new wrinkle for opponents. She’s always looking for her shot but hasn’t had enough playing time to smooth out the rough spots. More minutes could only benefit her, and the team, as she develops her game. She may pick up some of Nika’s minutes in the BEast tourney as Geno will not play Nika too much until she’s 100%.

If Mir becomes another viable option for Geno, if someone has an off night, Geno could possibly have another player to sub in. Mir is an unknown that the other guys probably haven’t seen on tape or prepared for. That makes UConn a little more dangerous, hence the ?

Full disclosure, I’m a big Mir fan. There’s something about this kid that I like. Reminds me of a Kalana Greene, an underrated Husky that I thought never got her due.
I like Mir too HuskyNan.

Plays like her hair is on fire. Isn't a great fit for motion offense but that is GA's job to get the most out of players who may not perfectly fit his style. I say to recruit the players and then sometimes you just have to adapt the system to fit the player's strengths.

She is also behind AE and AG at this point, but I think she can definitely help if we have an injury or foul trouble. She is a bit of a dark horse in my mind.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I like Mir too HuskyNan.

Plays like her hair is on fire. Isn't a great fit for motion offense but that is GA's job to get the most out of players who may not perfectly fit his style. I say to recruit the players and then sometimes you just have to adapt the system to fit the player's strengths.

She is also behind AE and AG at this point, but I think she can definitely help if we have an injury or foul trouble. She is a bit of a dark horse in my mind.
Agreed. I do think it’s easier to reign in a player that plays with too much energy than to try to draw energy from a passive one. Mir needs to find a speed that fits to team best and adapt.

i love her defense though. She’s another 5 fouls to give, as well

Reaction Score
Agreed. I do think it’s easier to reign in a player that plays with too much energy than to try to draw energy from a passive one. Mir needs to find a speed that fits to team best and adapt.

i love her defense though. She’s another 5 fouls to give, as well
I was just re-watching the Ark game and it was impressive how well Mir moves her feet. I think GA has something there.

I just know that Mir will make you work for anything you get and this also tires out the opposing player. I think if GA needs a defensive stopper when an opposing player gets hot, he can call on Mir (or AG for that matter) and give them 1 job to do: don't let that kid score!

They both have diversity on defense as well, being able to defend guards as well as wings.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hope we get to see Mighty Mir play 15 minutes today!
She deserves it!
Just love your smile!

Reaction Score
I would think if Mir was going to get some of Nika's minutes she would have to use her outside shooting ability. I would hope that she had an outside shot in HS because if her entire offense is driving the lane then our opponents will just keep trying to stop her, resulting in possible charges. I am not saying that she needs to put up any 3s but at least be able to hit mid range jumpers.
But if she isn't playing Nika's minutes, nevermind.
Just because Mir might be a beneficiary of Nika's injury doesn't mean she has to play her position. All three of our PF's (Aaliyah, Aubrey and Mir) have had their possible minutes restricted by the use of wings at the four. With Nika out I hope that strategy is gone, pretty much forever, with Aaliyah getting starter minutes and Aubrey and Mir getting more playing time at their natural PF position, but also some on the wing while Nika is out.

When Paige sits, Evina will play the point. If Evina and Paige were out Anna would probably be the PG.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Just because Mir might be a beneficiary of Nika's injury doesn't mean she has to play her position. All three of our PF's (Aaliyah, Aubrey and Mir) have had their possible minutes restricted by the use of wings at the four. With Nika out I hope that strategy is gone, pretty much forever, with Aaliyah getting starter minutes and Aubrey and Mir getting more playing time at their natural PF position, but also some on the wing while Nika is out.

When Paige sits, Evina will play the point. If Evina and Paige were out Anna would probably be the PG.
Mir might not play Nika's position but she should be able to make outside shots to keep the opposing defense honest. That was my point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom