Mir, redux | The Boneyard

Mir, redux

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere.

One of the sportscasters said during the game that Geno has been very happy with Mir’s practices and that he’d like to find more minutes for her. That made me ?. Mir adds a new wrinkle for opponents. She’s always looking for her shot but hasn’t had enough playing time to smooth out the rough spots. More minutes could only benefit her, and the team, as she develops her game. She may pick up some of Nika’s minutes in the BEast tourney as Geno will not play Nika too much until she’s 100%.

If Mir becomes another viable option for Geno, if someone has an off night, Geno could possibly have another player to sub in. Mir is an unknown that the other guys probably haven’t seen on tape or prepared for. That makes UConn a little more dangerous, hence the ?

Full disclosure, I’m a big Mir fan. There’s something about this kid that I like. Reminds me of a Kalana Greene, an underrated Husky that I thought never got her due.

Reaction Score
Mir has a lot of potential and natural talent so I could not understand why she wasn't getting more minutes. It is nice to hear that Geno has been very happy with Mir's practices and that he'd like to find more minutes for her.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Mir's playing time has been severely limited because (for most of the season) she was "not getting it" in terms of understanding the offensive and defensive systems. Geno has shown over the years that he will not tolerate that, no matter how athletically talented a player is: just ask Charde, Mikayla Coombs, Gabby Williams as a freshman, and Aubrey. Even Napheesa lost her starting job as a freshman for this reason.

I think Geno is right to do that -- his systems at both ends of the court are not going to work if players are out of position or make the wrong reads. He has never held the view that the system should defer to a talented athlete, and you can't expect him to start thinking that way now.

But most (not all) players eventually learn what they need to know, and from the announcer's comment attributed to Geno, it sounds as if Mir is doing that. I agree that if that happens, she can become a major asset. I think she is even more athletic than Aubrey and perhaps comparable to Gabby.

Reaction Score

One of the sportscasters said during the game that Geno has been very happy with Mir’s practices and that he’d like to find more minutes for her. That made me ?. Mir adds a new wrinkle for opponents. She’s always looking for her shot but hasn’t had enough playing time to smooth out the rough spots. More minutes could only benefit her, and the team, as she develops her game. She may pick up some of Nika’s minutes in the BEast tourney as Geno will not play Nika too much until she’s 100%.

If Mir becomes another viable option for Geno, if someone has an off night, Geno could possibly have another player to sub in. Mir is an unknown that the other guys probably haven’t seen on tape or prepared for. That makes UConn a little more dangerous, hence the ?

Full disclosure, I’m a big Mir fan. There’s something about this kid that I like. Reminds me of a Kalana Greene, an underrated Husky that I thought never got her due.
Like the Kalana Green comparison; quick, athletic, hops and agility. With time could be a defensive stopper and always good for a swift unexpected bucket. Beautiful spontaneous smile.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Man she got straight into Farley's head today. The camera focused on some neat in-bounds hand fighting when she first came in that lead to Farley's intentional foul a possession or two later and Mir picking herself up with a huge grin on her face. It was fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Man she got straight into Farley's head today. The camera focused on some neat in-bounds hand fighting when she first came in that lead to Farley's intentional foul a possession or two later and Mir picking herself up with a huge grin on her face. It was fun to watch.

Huge smile is the only smile that Mir has.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I would think if Mir was going to get some of Nika's minutes she would have to use her outside shooting ability. I would hope that she had an outside shot in HS because if her entire offense is driving the lane then our opponents will just keep trying to stop her, resulting in possible charges. I am not saying that she needs to put up any 3s but at least be able to hit mid range jumpers.
But if she isn't playing Nika's minutes, nevermind.

Reaction Score
She’s still a bit of a “grenade” to me, but highly athletic. I think when the UConn offense starts to click for her she will be a great addition off the bench. Love her attitude and she’s not afraid of anything.

Reaction Score
Her big disadvantage has been that she is not a wing. That makes her an undersized post way down in the depth chart behind Liv, Alija and Audrey, with Anna also capable of playing the four. It also hasn’t helped that Geno has used four guards in the starting lineup, plus the fact that Alija is such a valuable asset. There just hasn’t been a place for her in that rotation. If Nika can’t play, Anna will get those minutes.

Reaction Score

Be careful Bills Fan - Remember !! "Peace and Love" at ALL TIMES !!! (we don't want to upset anyone !!)
1615077919862.png

Reaction Score
Mir's playing time has been severely limited because (for most of the season) she was "not getting it" in terms of understanding the offensive and defensive systems. Geno has shown over the years that he will not tolerate that, no matter how athletically talented a player is: just ask Charde, Mikayla Coombs, Gabby Williams as a freshman, and Aubrey. Even Napheesa lost her starting job as a freshman for this reason.

I think Geno is right to do that -- his systems at both ends of the court are not going to work if players are out of position or make the wrong reads. He has never held the view that the system should defer to a talented athlete, and you can't expect him to start thinking that way now.

But most (not all) players eventually learn what they need to know, and from the announcer's comment attributed to Geno, it sounds as if Mir is doing that. I agree that if that happens, she can become a major asset. I think she is even more athletic than Aubrey and perhaps comparable to Gabby.
I think she is even more athletic than Aubrey and perhaps comparable to Gabby.
Not more athletic than Aubrey but a much more capable shooter. Mir's disadvantage has been the success of Griffin's D and her energy, though whenever McLean got some time she looked good. Hard to dismiss Aubrey's future on offense entirely, but she frequently seems out of control going to the basket and hapless from the perimeter. Going forward, I think Mir may have more upside.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

Lest you forget that Nika made the most of the minutes she only got because Paige was injured and worked her way into the starting lineup.

It doesn’t matter why you get the minutes, it matters what you do with them — and Mir did pretty okay with what she was given today.

Reaction Score
Not more athletic than Aubrey but a much more capable shooter. Mir's disadvantage has been the success of Griffin's D and her energy, though whenever McLean got some time she looked good. Hard to dismiss Aubrey's future on offense entirely, but she frequently seems out of control going to the basket and hapless from the perimeter. Going forward, I think Mir may have more upside.
1615078715580.png

Reaction Score
I would think if Mir was going to get some of Nika's minutes she would have to use her outside shooting ability. I would hope that she had an outside shot in HS because if her entire offense is driving the lane then our opponents will just keep trying to stop her, resulting in possible charges. I am not saying that she needs to put up any 3s but at least be able to hit mid range jumpers.
But if she isn't playing Nika's minutes, nevermind.

Sometimes all it takes is a pesky gnat to start a stampede. She will get some of those minutes but not the same role on the offensive end at least not yet. She could be an effective perimeter defender right now however and that helps. McClean's skills are offensive rebounding and steals, both of which provide extra possessions. She's also pretty good in transition whenever UConn plays a team that tries to run with them.

Reaction Score

Geno did play Mir in the backcourt some today, that was good to see. Really don't know if she might have played some point in HS. She is quick and aggressive much like Nika. She, Griffin and Bueckers would be a handful for opposing teams. If she can get more minutes watch out!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Mir is not a great outside shooter, but an on-balance pull-up from 5-15' should be in her wheelhouse, based on what I saw in high school.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Whose minutes would she take? As I said in my OP, if someone has an off night, she could take their minutes.

As to the rest of your post...........................WHAT??????????? (Obnoxious, isn’t it? A reason for disagreeing followed by civil discourse might have been better)

Reaction Score
Whose minutes would she take? As I said in my OP, if someone has an off night, she could take their minutes.

As to the rest of your post...........................WHAT??????????? (Obnoxious, isn’t it? A reason for disagreeing followed by civil discourse might have been better)

Ditto what Nan said. And for those Mir detractors, remember that last year she was ranked in most rankings as one of the top scholastic players in the country. This kid was not an after-thought. Coach Geno recruited a highly sought player. Whatever was keeping her from minutes, the team needs her now, and she's coming through.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom