Mir McLean to UConn [merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mir McLean to UConn [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm sure she will be great being just who she is. I can't speak to her demeanor on the court (ie. killer instinct), but I do believe her athleticism will remind people of Gabby or Anriel Howard. Someone else also correctly pointed out - we may have the 2 most athletic players in consecutive classes (Griffin and McLean)...

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
From January:

Mir McLean (Gwynn Oak, Md.), Roland Park – 2020

Rebounding is an art that McLean has mastered. And while your mind takes you to mental image of Teaira McGowan at Mississippi State, Mir is stands just 5 feet 11 inches. She has the rare combination of explosive leaping ability, great hands and perfect timing. Her smooth but explosive game impacts both ends of the floor. And while the immediate comparison to another successful 5-11 forward, Baylor’s Nina Davis, may come to mind, their styles are completely different. The good news is schools across the country have gotten over her lack of height due to her talent and production which was on display here in D.C.

Reaction Score
Could she be another Barbara Turner? I sure did love Turner game

I just watched her once on one of the videos for a whole game. I don't see any BT in her game.

Mir looks like an "off-the-ball hybrid" offensively. The game didn't show any skills of her ball-handling or shooting other than 5 feet and in (maybe she has it but the game didn't show because they kept her inside the whole game.). BT had handle and could shoot from the outside. Mir jumps out of the gym. BT didn't really have great hops. Not bad but not much. Mir has great, great hops. She doesn't appear to be a scorer but you have to wonder with Paige as the team's pg - if Mir isn't really a scorer she could still "flourish."

Mir is also skinny while BT was more rugged. Mir seems to have very long arms- BT didn't. BT wasn't much if at all of an offensive rebounder. Mir can be due to her hops and arms. She seems to get her hands on the ball a lot inside even if she can't pull down the rebound. I don't think she is "the best rebounder in her class (but "pound for pound probably a BIG yes)" but because of her freak hops and long arms (she is a quick jumper) and she'll be playing in a motion offense - she can create some offensive chaos in the paint though teams with good quickness from their "very big" bigs will probably be able to neutralize that aspect.

Didn't get a chance to see what she could do defensively. They had her pinned in the back of a zone or defending inside. But if she could move well laterally defensively -- she could be a defensive freak on the perimeter but would need help vs "powerful/sturdy" power forwards. Depending on her quickness laterally - she could impact the game much differently than BT did. And she could probably be super in help defense - such as coming from behind/or weak side tipping balls and blocking shots (even blocking much, much, much taller players) But offensively right now I didn't see her try anything that BT was able to do. Not saying she can't. I only saw one full game from her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The poster Slu just posted the below in bold from Evaluators. If you get a chance to watch the one game poster on this thread you won't see one instance of her hitting mid-range jump shots or even making an attempt. Now that could be true. But see for yourself in the 1 game that the poster DaBball attached on the 1st page on here. She took no mid-range jump shots.

It was a close game so if she had handle and can hit mid-range shots and the game was tight-- why didn't she take even one? Thus the "handles like a guard" even though there were times the bigger player Cochran was guarding her-- she could've exposed her. Juts once in the halfcourt set did you see in that game she got by some one off the bounce and even then with the video it was hard to see the circumstance in which she did.

And look at her body vs Olivia Cochran. Cochran is 6'1 - so she is a power forward ranked around 21 by Hoopgurlz. Look at her body compared Mir's. There is no way if Cochran/ her type if she gets well coached will Mir be able to handle her in a halfcourt game. SO this stuff that she can guard 5 positions -- no she cant in terms of going against the best. If anyone watches her and imagines her defending the Baylor or Miss Sate bigs? Nah. Yes she can guard a perimeter center. But she isn't "big."

As SLu stated in the beginning-- she is a small forward. And you add her with Paige Bueckers - Paige could find a player like Mir in the paint. Or Paige could drive and if she misses the attention Paige would get would free Mir to clean up. It's just that at this point in time - Mir is not a star-studded offensive weapon able to score on her own. There is nothing wrong with that. You can see form the vid she would have her hands full guarding anyone 'big" with offensive inside skills talent.

IMO an exciting point about her is what I've sort of didn't want to see in the past but between her and Griffin and Paige, and Evina, and Megan and CWill - we have the type of team that could press. In many years since 2001 I've read posts of people suggesting UCONN do it but between their bench and recently the competition of the AAC - and having small guards or slower players or big difference between some of the stars and then bench it wasn't worth it. But now -- with this team and ONO as a shot blocker and the Big East Conf as decent enough teams to do this against -- you could definitely play "small" at the pf if it means you can push pace. And it appears at least with just the one vid I've seen- a player like Mir has "off-the-charts" hops. If she has the "off-the-charts" same in lateral movement she could definitely play some pf if UCONN team presses. If her lateral quickness matches her hops and her arms -- look out.

Great body control, hits the jumper from midrange on in, blocks numerous shots, hits her f.t. Lot to like about Mir.

Team Takeover's Mir McLean is extremely versatile- handles like a guard, aggressive rebounder & can defend all 5 positions

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

“Hands down one of my favorite kids to coach,” wrote Delmar Carey, coach of the Team Takeover girls 16U team, on Twitter. “No better feeling to walk into a game and know you have a flat out DOG Husky with you!

and just saying

“I recently developed a jump shot, and now I’m ready to be a ball-handler,” McLean said. “I will be more versatile by the time I get to college.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom