Minnesota Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Minnesota Postgame Thread

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Fun seeing the game. Great seeing the UCONN fans there in the warm and sunny Bahamas!!

Overall a really good game. But... after a 10-0 start, the game was even for the rest of the half. Minny 9-15 from 3, 2 of their players did the most damage going 9-14. I suppose you have to play the odds and hope that they cool off - they were shooting from well beyond the 3 point line, but at some point that needs to be addressed during a game. You can't just look at the scouting report and say "for the entire game we will do ____". Players get hot or cold for a game and you have to adjust.

And adjust they did. Minny only took 3 deep shots in Q3 as we outscored them 25-8. That is much more what I was expecting in the first half. Our defense IMHO was much better in the 2nd half. Forcing high degree of difficulty shots without fouling. Really pushed the lead and that was great to see. Minny only made a pair of 3-pointers in the 2nd half. Q4 not as strong, but the damage was already done. I was surprised Geno did not empty his bench sooner.

Christyn was unreal. 21 points in the 1st half on 8-10 shooting. 31 points for the game. So far this season she's 1st team AA to me. If she continues to play anything close to what she's done so far, at worst she should be 2nd team AA. Her defensive intensity was on display today, and offense was not forced at all.

Evina was almost as efficient and great in the 1st half. She never takes a bad shot either. 16 points. Just love her on the floor.

Olivia had a few lapses on defense, but overall even tho she didn't score much, a bunch of nice assists and rebounds. I noticed specifically on one play in the 2nd half, she got the ball fairly close to the basket but was double teamed. She moved towards the basket as much as she could and then found a cutting Edwards for a wide open layup. In the past, Olivia would have just stepped back and tried a fade away. I like her on the floor a lot.

Aaliyah - very efficient from the floor and the recipient of several great passes from Paige and Olivia, and she took a charge getting "knocked" to the floor beyond the 3-point arc.

We know Paige can take over a game any time she wants. She started the 2nd half on a mission, at least from a scoring perspective, and even tho her shooting % wasn't great, she never takes a bad shot.

Dorka seems to often get good position in the post getting herself open. she didn't finish as well this game as others and got her pocket picked - but not as many mental lapses as in game 1. What a treat to have 3 really good and really different post players.

Azzi continues to struggle shooting the ball. For all we heard about her shooting prowess, it's been nowhere to be seen in the 1st 2 games. Her defense is adequate but she's in a shooting funk to start her UCONN career.

Caroline looked more comfortable and plays hard. She's got a bright future. She's long and deceptively hard to score over. Had a great drive on a nice pass and grabbed a tough rebound and got fouled on her way to the FT line.

Nika is a bit of an enigma to me. I'm not sure what the deal is, but she just does not look like the same player at times - mental lapses, shooting airballs, but then towards the end of the game, a few great steals and scores. Rooting so hard for her. Love her intensity and attitude.

Overall a really solid game for the 2nd game of the season. Much better 2nd half than 1st half. Interesting that PIath got into the game but Amari and Mir did not. Evina played until the very end of the game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Minnesota game:
  • I really wish I was in the Bahamas drinking a Goombay Smash with all of you intrepid BY’ers who made the trip.
  • We now have something of a pattern emerging. UConn races out to a big lead, and then execution suffers somewhat as the Huskies bring in substitutes. For UConn’s deep roster to really matter, the team will need to maintain their execution through multiple lineup changes.
  • I don’t know how many backdoor cuts for layups Christyn had, but her timing and explosion to the basket is a thing of beauty. One of her very best games as a Husky.
  • As I watched Scalia reign down 3’s from the cheap seats for the Gophers, I had one thought, “Aubrey.”
  • I had a sense after the Arkansas game that UConn is playing faster on offense this season. After watching the Huskies against Minnesota, I am sure of it. UConn’s guards all push the pace, everyone runs the court and it usually doesn’t take very long for the Huskies to get off a good shot, often before the defense is completely set up.
  • Once again the Huskies had a significant advantage over their opponent shooting the ball, 62% to 39%. UConn also had 24 assist on 34 baskets.

Reaction Score
CW 31, Evina 16, Paige 8 pts, 6 rebs, 7 asts, 3 stls. A good win.

Screenshot (11).png

Reaction Score
Fun seeing the game. Great seeing the UCONN fans there in the warm and sunny Bahamas!!

Overall a really good game. But... after a 10-0 start, the game was even for the rest of the half. Minny 9-15 from 3, 2 of their players did the most damage going 9-14. I suppose you have to play the odds and hope that they cool off - they were shooting from well beyond the 3 point line, but at some point that needs to be addressed during a game. You can't just look at the scouting report and say "for the entire game we will do ____". Players get hot or cold for a game and you have to adjust.

And adjust they did. Minny only took 3 deep shots in Q3 as we outscored them 25-8. That is much more what I was expecting in the first half. Our defense IMHO was much better in the 2nd half. Forcing high degree of difficulty shots without fouling. Really pushed the lead and that was great to see. Minny only made a pair of 3-pointers in the 2nd half. Q4 not as strong, but the damage was already done. I was surprised Geno did not empty his bench sooner.

Christyn was unreal. 21 points in the 1st half on 8-10 shooting. 31 points for the game. So far this season she's 1st team AA to me. If she continues to play anything close to what she's done so far, at worst she should be 2nd team AA. Her defensive intensity was on display today, and offense was not forced at all.

Evina was almost as efficient and great in the 1st half. She never takes a bad shot either. 16 points. Just love her on the floor.

Olivia had a few lapses on defense, but overall even tho she didn't score much, a bunch of nice assists and rebounds. I noticed specifically on one play in the 2nd half, she got the ball fairly close to the basket but was double teamed. She moved towards the basket as much as she could and then found a cutting Edwards for a wide open layup. In the past, Olivia would have just stepped back and tried a fade away. I like her on the floor a lot.

Aaliyah - very efficient from the floor and the recipient of several great passes from Paige and Olivia, and she took a charge getting "knocked" to the floor beyond the 3-point arc.

We know Paige can take over a game any time she wants. She started the 2nd half on a mission, at least from a scoring perspective, and even tho her shooting % wasn't great, she never takes a bad shot.

Dorka seems to often get good position in the post getting herself open. she didn't finish as well this game as others and got her pocket picked - but not as many mental lapses as in game 1. What a treat to have 3 really good and really different post players.

Azzi continues to struggle shooting the ball. For all we heard about her shooting prowess, it's been nowhere to be seen in the 1st 2 games. Her defense is adequate but she's in a shooting funk to start her UCONN career.

Caroline looked more comfortable and plays hard. She's got a bright future. She's long and deceptively hard to score over. Had a great drive on a nice pass and grabbed a tough rebound and got fouled on her way to the FT line.

Nika is a bit of an enigma to me. I'm not sure what the deal is, but she just does not look like the same player at times - mental lapses, shooting airballs, but then towards the end of the game, a few great steals and scores. Rooting so hard for her. Love her intensity and attitude.

Overall a really solid game for the 2nd game of the season. Much better 2nd half than 1st half. Interesting that PIath got into the game but Amari and Mir did not. Evina played until the very end of the game.
Thanks for such a comprehensive update on the game. We’re you there?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A career high 31 points for Christyn Williams today, who took the baton from Paige who lead the team with 34 Sunday, and 8 today.
Fouls were not a problem today. Only ONO and Westbrook had 3 fouls. Minnesota only attempted 8 FT today. A much better defensive effort and result today. Enjoyed listening to the radio broadcast with Bob and Debbie.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope—plead actually—that we can finally see an end to poor mouthing of CW, which over the past few years has given us the most boneheaded commentary on the Boneyard.
She is certainly showing up and if she plays like that consistently we will be in the final 4 and then hope we can do it. The switching started to look like last year after the Arkansas game today. Aaliyah is so solid on defense and scoring inside. Liv is a defensive force for us and a great passer. If she gives us points even better. Geno is trying to get Azzi going. She still looks a little forced at this point. It will come and Caroline will be a player in the rotation if she can make a couple of 3's. Why not much bottom of the bench with 3 games in three days? Paige was huffing and puffing a little. Save her for Carolina. Please Geno

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Geno seems most comfortable with his starting five, and less comfortable with his bench. I expect the starters to get the bulk of the minutes ( 80%?) for the start of the season, especially in competitive games.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Finally, decent FT percentage.
I could not get use to the actual clock and the displayed clock...it kept running with the action stopped.
Again it's only the second game but I am hoping that Azzi, Dorka and Caroline start to live up to "our" expectations...can't wait until Azzi and Caroline consistently their sink 3s.
Pretty good for a second game and hopefully with the next game tomorrow, they will continue playing like they did in the 3rd quarter.

Reaction Score
A few things for one can this Dorka should start argument finally be put to rest? Horrible turnover late in the game that led to a gophers bucket. This starting 5 was my opening day lineup offseason and barring injury it's the best 5. The chemistry is there, there is no need to fix what's not broken. Aside that just defensively they need to do better at guarding the 3. It's early but boy for the hype Fudd got for her shooting it has not been good.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
She is certainly showing up and if she plays like that consistently we will be in the final 4 and then hope we can do it. The switching started to look like last year after the Arkansas game today. Aaliyah is so solid on defense and scoring inside. Liv is a defensive force for us and a great passer. If she gives us points even better. Geno is trying to get Azzi going. She still looks a little forced at this point. It will come and Caroline will be a player in the rotation if she can make a couple of 3's. Why not much bottom of the bench with 3 games in three days? Paige was huffing and puffing a little. Save her for Carolina. Please Geno
I also thought that Evina was winded out there too. But both played great considering

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom