Miler & Gibbs....whoa | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Miler & Gibbs....whoa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was at the game tonight and this team looked very fast. Absolutely loved what I saw. Very impressed with Miller and Gibbs. Hamilton was good but he presses to much. Has to play within the flow of the game. You can always tell when he wants to shoot. He will be a good one though.. We will see how good this team really can be in Atlantis over Thanksgiving. I'll be there to cheer them on.

Reaction Score
We do need to hit the brakes a little here but I was impressed. Part of being a really good team is dominating the teams you should dominate. We did that tonight. Miller is very impressive and I really liked Gibbs' game. He seemed to be hardly involved and had 20 pts and 4 assists. We have to see obviously how we match up with good teams but there is no reason not to be optimistic.

Reaction Score
A month or two ago the naysayers on this forum were doubting Shonn Miller. They said he had not played against good competition, that he wouldn't get minutes because there was so much talent at UCONN, and that he would not score much as UCONN has other options and Cornell didn't. People even doubted KO when he stated that the offense would flow through Miller.
I've been watching Shonn for three years and have consistently seen the talent that you saw tonight. Following his freshman year he and Terry Rozier (formerly of Louisville and now playing for the Celtics) absolutely tore up the Cleveland pro-am league. Despite the fact that Cornell's Coach Courtney did not know how to use him (Shonn often roamed the perimeter and jacking up ill-advised 3s) and other teams attempted to beat him up and double and triple teamed him, Shonn still scored almost 17ppg and shined against against elite teams (Syracuse, Duke, Arizona State, Wisconsin etc). Against high level D1 competition he averaged over 14ppg.
Maine is not Kentucky or Duke but I expect that Shonn will hold his own against any competition. He's a beast and you haven't seen him start at the foul line and take an opponent off the dribble. It's poetry in motion.
Responding to the naysayers I said in my last post that I would enjoy saying "I told you so" at the end of the season. I fully expect to be posting that in a few months.

Reaction Score
A month or two ago the naysayers on this forum were doubting Shonn Miller. They said he had not played against good competition, that he wouldn't get minutes because there was so much talent at UCONN, and that he would not score much as UCONN has other options and Cornell didn't. People even doubted KO when he stated that the offense would flow through Miller.
I've been watching Shonn for three years and have consistently seen the talent that you saw tonight. Following his freshman year he and Terry Rozier (formerly of Louisville and now playing for the Celtics) absolutely tore up the Cleveland pro-am league. Despite the fact that Cornell's Coach Courtney did not know how to use him (Shonn often roamed the perimeter and jacking up ill-advised 3s) and other teams attempted to beat him up and double and triple teamed him, Shonn still scored almost 17ppg and shined against against elite teams (Syracuse, Duke, Arizona State, Wisconsin etc). Against high level D1 competition he averaged over 14ppg.
Maine is not Kentucky or Duke but I expect that Shonn will hold his own against any competition. He's a beast and you haven't seen him start at the foul line and take an opponent off the dribble. It's poetry in motion.
Responding to the naysayers I said in my last post that I would enjoy saying "I told you so" at the end of the season. I fully expect to be posting that in a few months.

Don't recall much doubting of Shonn Miller, just not knowing exactly what to expect within this group. There's so much talent and firepower on this team. He's been sensational so far, and we see exactly how he can fit in with this team. Obviously, we are thrilled within the small sample size, and he is clearly the real deal.

Kid is a beast. So thrilled we got him.

Reaction Score
Dude, nobody doubted Miller. It's actually the complete opposite, people were giddy that we found the guy who could fill in the biggest things that were missing from last year. I was super excited about him but now after watching him play I'm somehow even more excited.

Reaction Score
Seriously. That 09 team went on the road against top 5 (and eventual overall #1 seed) Louisville and beat them by 17 without hitting a single 3. This team just beat a team that went 3-27 last year. Pump the brakes people.
I remember watching that Louisville game and thinking this team could win a national championship...losing JD was such a loss...

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A great start for sure. Maine was a scrappy bunch that hung in there as long as they could.

What impressed me was they way Gibbs, Miller, Hamilton and Brimah worked so well together. It seemed that they knew were each other would be at any given moment on the court. Unbelievable for so early in the season.

This does look to be a very exciting year!

Reaction Score
Huh? Who doubted Miller? Pretty much everyone here was in agreement that he was going to be a great upgrade at power forward, and just what we need. I don't recall a single person here not being super excited about his skill level and having him onboard. What in the world are you talking about?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This will be the caveat when we take #5. I can see coach K crying about grad transfers now. While he turns over a #1 recruiting class.
Whao my brother. Its November, long ways to go. Enjoy the journey, awaiting arrival to the final destination.

Sure its a mystery and a story currently being written, but we are book that should be read by all!

Reaction Score
Huh? Who doubted Miller? Pretty much everyone here was in agreement that he was going to be a great upgrade at power forward, and just what we need. I don't recall a single person here not being super excited about his skill level and having him onboard. What in the world are you talking about?
Relax he's a Cornell fan, obviously loves Miller. He's being protective, and to a certain extent he's now our brother, and now a semi UConn fan thanks to Shonn.

Lord knows we too are 'very' sensitive about our own players. You know if its not positive its an attack or negative statement.

Reaction Score

You just keep yelling "told you so" while most of us reply "we knew this already". Great post:rolleyes:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
the game didnt call for it but we need to run the offense through him on the low block and let him go to work... either backing down his opponent, facing up and hitting the bank shot, or kicking it out to a shooter/someone cutting to the hoop... he's too skilled not to touch the ball every trip down especially near the hoop, he's what we've been looking for a big with skill near the rim

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
That Louisville d*ck-stomping might be my favorite regular season game over the last decade.
Agreed and especially so since we've had such a tough time beating them since

Reaction Score
Nice start! It's easy to think Maine wasn't much competition but we've certainly played to the level of the competition in the recent past (especially early in the season), so it's nice to see us take care of business in this fashion & get stronger as the game wore on.

It's encouraging to see the new guys slide in so seamlessly, almost like they've a all been playing together for years.

It's only one game so while we should temper our expectations a bit, it's an exciting start, for sure.

Reaction Score
Observation#1 - The wide open three from the corner was there all night for Maine -- the shot that killed us last year. With wings as long and mobile as Ham and Miller, it's pretty hard to figure. Observation#2 - the 5 for 22 from behind the arc improves a little when you remove the 0 for 5 from SC, Foxen and Miller, but it's a concern after the brickfest against NH. This team will be given open threes all year -- opponents have no alternative. If they make them, hard to see them ever losing. When they don't, the result will be like the last five minutes of the first half last night. There are games when their best weapon will be the passed-up open three, a la Miller last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom