Miler & Gibbs....whoa | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Miler & Gibbs....whoa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@cornellball why are you making up this dissenting opinion on Miller? You are legit fighting windmills here. We've loved the kid from go. Stick around have fun wearing husky blue this year. But I'd lay down the I told you so banner because you're citing a false narrative. If there was anyone doubting Miller it was a severe minority and holding the told you so card over those guys is a participation trophy here.

The 'I told you so' probably isn't warranted but I do think there was a significant portion of the board underrating Miller, if not explicitly. Given this guy watched him for three years at Cornell (who gave up 116 points last night!) I can tolerate some self-congratulation on his part.

Everybody knew he was going to be a huge part of the team. I think that confidence derived from the fact that he was a fifth year guy who put up numbers. The Ivy League thing was a point of reserve even if it wasn't vocalized.

What wasn't talked about enough, in my opinion, was the fact that this dude grew three inches during his senior year of high school (I think that was the year, could be wrong). This guy outgrew the Ivy League in the most literal sense, and I think what we might have now is somebody with NBA athleticism, high-major size, and grad student instincts/refinement. I'm trying to keep things in check through one game, but I sort of suspected all along that Miller might have been underrated by this board. He's not just a great addition, or a great role player. He might be one of the best players in the country.

Reaction Score
The 'I told you so' probably isn't warranted but I do think there was a significant portion of the board underrating Miller, if not explicitly. Given this guy watched him for three years at Cornell (who gave up 116 points last night!) I can tolerate some self-congratulation on his part.

Everybody knew he was going to be a huge part of the team. I think that confidence derived from the fact that he was a fifth year guy who put up numbers. The Ivy League thing was a point of reserve even if it wasn't vocalized.

What wasn't talked about enough, in my opinion, was the fact that this dude grew three inches during his senior year of high school (I think that was the year, could be wrong). This guy outgrew the Ivy League in the most literal sense, and I think what we might have now is somebody with NBA athleticism, high-major size, and grad student instincts/refinement. I'm trying to keep things in check through one game, but I sort of suspected all along that Miller might have been underrated by this board. He's not just a great addition, or a great role player. He might be one of the best players in the country.

Totally agree. When we did the whole pre-season point prediction thing, most people slated Miller in that 8 ppg range.

I'm not ready to anoint Shonn but there was a discrepancy between how cornelldude viewed Miller and how the rest of the board viewed Miller, even though we all knew he'd be good.

Reaction Score
My eyeballs are popping from Miller's performance last night and the team looked improved and good, and we knew that the holes were filled from last year, but I'm not quite ready to wet my pants yet. Aside from Gibbs, 3 point shooting is still a concern for me and I want to see this quality of play against a real opponent, against a team with talent, but I like and am very excited and pretty soon we'll see what we've got.

Reaction Score
In the 2H there was a quick no-look pass from the top of the key to Miller on the baseline that he was able to grab and finish. First thing I thought to myself was, "That ball goes straight through Brimah's hands." Such a breath of fresh air to have a big down low who can hold on to a pass like that and finish.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
In the 2H there was a quick no-look pass from the top of the key to Miller on the baseline that he was able to grab and finish. First thing I thought to myself was, "That ball goes straight through Brimah's hands." Such a breath of fresh air to have a big down low who can hold on to a pass like that and finish.

And if memory serves, it was Gibbs who shot the pass to him, making this a nice fit to this thread.

Reaction Score
FluxTZ said:

Nolan would have caught it, but would have been stuffed at the rim by a 6-5 forward.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The Ivy League thing was a point of reserve even if it wasn't vocalized.

That might be the most ludicrous statement on the board since chap left. Are you suggesting that the collective board was thinking he might not be all that was advertised, but didn't post it? And the OP somehow divined that and came here now to straighten us out?

Reaction Score
That might be the most ludicrous statement on the board since chap left. Are you suggesting that the collective board was thinking he might not be all that was advertised, but didn't post it? And the OP somehow divined that and came here now to straighten us out?
On a board where you have a clown like @JSM1970 actively posting, i'm pretty positive that that's not the most ludicrous statement posted here.

Reaction Score
Have any 5th year grad transfers ever been drafted? This year could have a few... Miller seems viable, and Gibbs could have an outside shot. And, I'm not sure if he's a fifth year guy or not, but that former Duke guy might have a chance.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Have any 5th year grad transfers ever been drafted? This year could have a few... Miller seems viable, and Gibbs could have an outside shot. And, I'm not sure if he's a fifth year guy or not, but that former Duke guy might have a chance.
Did that DeAndre Kane guy that we embarrassed in the sweet 16 in 2014 get drafted? I remember him getting a lot of hype.

Reaction Score
Did that DeAndre Kane guy that we embarrassed in the sweet 16 in 2014 get drafted? I remember him getting a lot of hype.
Nah he was 25 at the time of the draft, u gotta be crazy dominant to get a look at that age

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Nolan would have caught it, but would have been stuffed at the rim by a 6-5 forward.

Nolan was finishing those at the end of last of season. He would've been fine last night.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
On a board where you have a clown like @JSM1970 actively posting, i'm pretty positive that that's not the most ludicrous statement posted here.

Long time member of my ignore list, so I have nothing to reference.

Reaction Score
Long time member of my ignore list, so I have nothing to reference.
yea on mine as well, but based on all the noise in the recruiting thread of Fishy's I was able to piece together that he's being stupid again.

Reaction Score
Uhm... Mich State in Germany? Ollie's debut as head coach? Hello, it wasn't that long ago.

I agree with the initial sentiment though, I feel like Calhoun teams always came out sluggish in games, specifically early in the season. The fire that Brimah showed in getting blocks on Maine and the intensity the other guys showed out there made me very very happy to be a UConn fan. These kids have their eyes on the prize this year, teams in our way better look out

Reaction Score
Omar Calhoun was solid coming off the bench as well. Let's give the young man some props. He's healthy and it's only going to get better to Mr. Calhoun.

Reaction Score
My wife asked if she could hang a Miller poster above our bed, we are truly blessed.
In the first half my wife kept saying "Where is Facey? Where is Facey?" my response was "you know who Facey is?", so when he came in the game and played great, lets just say I was proud and I think my wife has a new favorite player and shockingly its not Miller or Adams (we live in Boston, like a jog away from Roxbury)

Reaction Score
I might be reaching for an association for its own sake, but watching Miller reminded me a lot of watching Donny Marshall. Big, fast, throwing down thunder-dunks off the break.

I was taken aback by how many times I thought he looked like Donny while he was playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom