Miler & Gibbs....whoa | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Miler & Gibbs....whoa

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Probably fair to say more versatility , but I'm gonna wait on the other stuff. That '09 team was easily at least the 2nd best team in the country if Dyson stays healthy, so I'm a bit apprehensive to say this team is on that level. But to be honest, I think this team has the talent to get there by season's end.
Seriously. That 09 team went on the road against top 5 (and eventual overall #1 seed) Louisville and beat them by 17 without hitting a single 3. This team just beat a team that went 3-27 last year. Pump the brakes people.

I'm obviously on board w this team, but from the sounds of the board, it's the number one team in the nation with a chance to go undefeated. It was maine people. Maine. They did what they had to do. And i'm excited.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I might be reaching for an association for its own sake, but watching Miller reminded me a lot of watching Donny Marshall. Big, fast, throwing down thunder-dunks off the break.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We need a master list of potential 5th years for 2016/17, because I can get used to having polished leaders like these guys come into the team every single year.

If they do really well this year, especially if they win it all, the 5th year transfer option will be gone within a year.

Reaction Score
Whao my brother. Its November, long ways to go. Enjoy the journey, awaiting arrival to the final destination.

Sure its a mystery and a story currently being written, but we are book that should be read by all!

Why you gotta be Scrappy-hatin? Embrace the positivity, this board needs it.

Reaction Score
A month or two ago the naysayers on this forum were doubting Shonn Miller. They said he had not played against good competition, that he wouldn't get minutes because there was so much talent at UCONN, and that he would not score much as UCONN has other options and Cornell didn't. People even doubted KO when he stated that the offense would flow through Miller.
I've been watching Shonn for three years and have consistently seen the talent that you saw tonight. Following his freshman year he and Terry Rozier (formerly of Louisville and now playing for the Celtics) absolutely tore up the Cleveland pro-am league. Despite the fact that Cornell's Coach Courtney did not know how to use him (Shonn often roamed the perimeter and jacking up ill-advised 3s) and other teams attempted to beat him up and double and triple teamed him, Shonn still scored almost 17ppg and shined against against elite teams (Syracuse, Duke, Arizona State, Wisconsin etc). Against high level D1 competition he averaged over 14ppg.
Maine is not Kentucky or Duke but I expect that Shonn will hold his own against any competition. He's a beast and you haven't seen him start at the foul line and take an opponent off the dribble. It's poetry in motion.
Responding to the naysayers I said in my last post that I would enjoy saying "I told you so" at the end of the season. I fully expect to be posting that in a few months.
FWIW, I expected Shonn to be a solid contributor because I knew he had performed well against elite competition whenever Cornell played against such. As others have pointed it out, the season is way too young to draw definitive conclusions. With so much talent on the team I think Sean will probably average about 12 or 13 points a game. If there wasn't as much offensive talent, and they were to get the ball to him often, he probably have a chance to average in the 15 to 18 point range. Just guessing.

I think where we'll see the difference this season compared to last, is unlike Nolan who would get the ball in good scoring position and simply get snuffed out, Miller will be cashing in most of the time. He seems to have an effortless and efficient type game where he'll put up 15 to 16 points on a given night and will wonder where they all came from.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Why you gotta be Scrappy-hatin? Embrace the positivity, this board needs it.

It's not the positivity that's the problem, it's the unreality. It causes aggravated oscillations in the bipolar nature of the board. Which makes it hard to read.

Last edited:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
We need a master list of potential 5th years for 2016/17, because I can get used to having polished leaders like these guys come into the team every single year.
New NCAA rule - each team can have two PhD transfers, who each get 6 years of extra eligibility. Well, maybe 4, so they have time to actually work on their thesis at some point.

Reaction Score
Those are big shoes to fill. Let's watch this team against some higher level competition before throwing the gauntlet down.
Huh? That was the best team from the State of Maine!

Reaction Score
I might be reaching for an association for its own sake, but watching Miller reminded me a lot of watching Donny Marshall. Big, fast, throwing down thunder-dunks off the break.
Donny was great running the floor and finishing but he couldn't dream of jumping like Miller, those dunks from Shonn last night were never in the Donny repertoire.

Reaction Score
It must be fun to play with fewer double teams and better feeders. The play where Miller dunked unchallenged Maine just lost him. Pretty sure not many teams playing Cornell last year ever lost him.

Reaction Score
I like how he is self corrective; you could see it on the floor when miller had a lapse of judgment ( got beat backdoor, beat for a rebound etc) he really got on himself, and usually on the next possession he made a positive play. Interested to see how he plays against bigger foes, but for now like many others i'm excited as hell. Gibbs' toughness and poise is welcomed , by the end of season think he'll have his finger prints all over many big wins. Love his slick ballhandling.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It must be fun to play with fewer double teams and better feeders. The play where Miller dunked unchallenged Maine just lost him. Pretty sure not many teams playing Cornell last year ever lost him.

Exact same thing can be said for Gibbs. Probably why his strong stats looked so effortless.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I like how he is self corrective; you could see it on the floor when miller had a lapse of judgment ( got beat backdoor, beat for a rebound etc) he really got on himself, and usually on the next possession he made a positive play. Interested to see how he plays against bigger foes, but for now like many others i'm excited as hell. Gibbs' toughness and poise is welcomed , by the end of season think he'll have his finger prints all over many big wins. Love his slick ballhandling.

Relative size isnt a huge deal in MCBB these days. The better basketball player usually wins.

Reaction Score
Responding to the naysayers I said in my last post that I would enjoy saying "I told you so" at the end of the season. I fully expect to be posting that in a few months.
This is like the guy who was puffing Kromah and how he was going to average 15 and 10 for us, except we believe you.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@cornellball why are you making up this dissenting opinion on Miller? You are legit fighting windmills here. We've loved the kid from go. Stick around have fun wearing husky blue this year. But I'd lay down the I told you so banner because you're citing a false narrative. If there was anyone doubting Miller it was a severe minority and holding the told you so card over those guys is a participation trophy here.

Reaction Score
I do remember a couple of offhand remarks about doubting an Ivy League guy, right at the very time he announced the move. However, these were shouted down immediately, and have been drowned out for months with nothing but praise. So maybe cornellball has a selective memory or just isn't visiting much.

Reaction Score
It's not the positivity that's the problem, it's the unreality. It causes aggravated oscillations in the bipolar nature of the board. Which makes it hard to read.
Exactly! One game and we are claiming Championship #5.

2011 and especially 2014 proves you can't make any November predictions, especially based on a performance against Maine. It ain't like opposing teams are going to lay down and say 'here you can have it'.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I do remember a couple of offhand remarks about doubting an Ivy League guy, right at the very time he announced the move. However, these were shouted down immediately, and have been drowned out for months with nothing but praise. So maybe cornellball has a selective memory or just isn't visiting much.
Exactly. The Miller love was as close to consensus as this place gets. We just won by 50 and people are finding something to complain about. Its a bit strange to get up on a soapbox about. There's no drama here.

NotADimeBack

Give me my avi back
Reaction Score
I know it's just Maine and the first game,
but dang Miller reminded me of Blake Griffin a tad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics