Mike Rice is gonna have a bad Sunday | The Boneyard

Mike Rice is gonna have a bad Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Why what's the point of showing the video?

Reaction Score
Murdock must not have plans to ever try his hand at coaching again.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
"Murdock did not provide further details citing that "there are some legal things going on," in regards to himself and Rutgers. "And when I say legal things, I mean extortion," clarified Murdock later.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
While he does look like a crazy tyrant in the video it wasn't as bad as I thought it could be. For some reason I had images of him lining the kids up and firing the balls directly at their heads execution style. He did cuss like a drunken sailor and push kids around but the balls he threw at them were at their legs primarily. One went towards a kids head but didn't hit him. Im guessing he survives this just fine.

Reaction Score
While he does look like a crazy tyrant in the video it wasn't as bad as I thought it could be. For some reason I had images of him lining the kids up and firing the balls directly at their heads execution style. He did cuss like a drunken sailor and push kids around but the balls he threw at them were at their legs primarily. One went towards a kids head but didn't hit him. Im guessing he survives this just fine.

Pernetti having a tough time w/ Schapp....

Reaction Score
Here you go:

photo1-480x360.jpg

Reaction Score

The video isn't *that* damning, but he doesn't have a chance in hell of recruiting successfully at all after this. It's better to cut bait now and not go through all that PR.

There's a difference between being a tough, hard-nosed head coach, and acting the way Rice did.

Reaction Score

I don't know- I come away pretty appalled about this 'behavior.' I hadn't really read much about it, so I didn't have an image of the actions (ball throwing part, e.g.).

But to me, it sorta just feels violent and abusive.

You can see the how the players' react as he approaches them and they seem scared sh-tless. Sure, he just shoved them, but it's the way he approaches them that's way too aggressive imo. How the heck do they know what he's gonna do?

He should absolutely be fired.

Reaction Score
His behavior is totally out of line and abusive and from what I've heard he's always been this way. I couldn't imagine this maniac coaching my team, Rutgers is crazy if they don't fire him. What is it with Rutgers and their bball coaches? Does anyone remember the other guy who was fired for making his players run suicides naked? No wonder they always suck.

Reaction Score
To me, a reprimand/suspension for the language would be warranted, particularly derogatory language towards a player's heritage. Calling someone a f'in p---y, , etc. Meh. Lithuanian fa--ot, not so much.

But physical abuse of players should mean termination. Wherever the line is, it has to be on the south side of that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He was the exact same way at Robert Morris. This was always going to end the same way as Bobby Gonzalez.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure I could disagree more. That's as damning as it gets, IMO (the kicking, ball chucking, and shoving, not the language). My first thought is that he's lucky that he didn't try it with the wrong kid and get beat within an inch of his life, but he probably knows who to attack. My second thought is that if I'm his boss, I grab him by the ear and toss him out the door and on his ass the second I see this video.

This isn't grabbing a kid's shirt or putting a hand in his chest to stop him from walking away (Something that Calhoun, K, and others did regularly). It's just pure, batsh!t crazy violence, and Pernetti's failure to see that for what it is is a fireable offense as well.

Reaction Score
I had heard stories from some Lithuanian friends down in the NYC area that Biruta really had issues with Rice. Gee, I wonder why??? ;)

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Really, why wouldn't they fire him? It's not like this is John Wooden you're losing here.

Reaction Score
I don't see how they keep him around after this. If he was a winning coach of a good program, then maybe there is some incentive to keep him around through the storm. But he's not. He's the head of a terrible program and couldn't recruit well before (and this won't help). It's not like you're losing a serious coaching talent here.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I could disagree more. That's as damning as it gets, IMO (the kicking, ball chucking, and shoving, not the language). My first thought is that he's lucky that he didn't try it with the wrong kid and get beat within an inch of his life, but he probably knows who to attack. My second thought is that if I'm his boss, I grab him by the ear and toss him out the door and on his ass the second I see this video.

This isn't grabbing a kid's shirt or putting a hand in his chest to stop him from walking away (Something that Calhoun, K, and others did regularly). It's just pure, batsh!t crazy violence, and Pernetti's failure to see that for what it is is a fireable offense as well.

That's the thing ...

Kids have been put in this chicken- mode that you can never NEVER go pushback at a coach. So ... there is nothing preventing these guys from taking a few steps more. (until an assistant or the Videographer steps in) It's not a fair fight: the coach has all the balls to throw and he can kick and push you through the lane etc etc.

Billy Gillespie got canned. But, let's admit one thing, what do you think playing for Jim Calhoun was like? By that ... it's a fine line between abusive behavior and actually getting Wins/Performance. Coaches think they can walk that line.

Reaction Score
The most nervous person in NJ right now has to be the AD. He has to make all right moves on this thing or it will blow up in his face and cost him his job. First question he will face. "Do you feel the three game suspension was enough?" The obvious answer is yes/no. Yes because that is how he handled it. No, because now the world will see the video. Either way he might be screwed too.

Reaction Score
The most nervous person in NJ right now has to be the AD. He has to make all right moves on this thing or it will blow up in his face and cost him his job. First question he will face. "Do you feel the three game suspension was enough?" The obvious answer is yes/no. Yes because that is how he handled it. No, because now the world will see the video. Either way he might be screwed too.

Struggled this afternoon on ESPN... he's hosed either way.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
That is maybe the worst video of coaching abuse I've ever seen. We've seen video of single instances, but to have all that footage is flat out scary. What an embarrassment for Rutgers. And they still suck. At least Bob Knight won games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom