Mike Rice is gonna have a bad Sunday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mike Rice is gonna have a bad Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This joke of an athletic department is about to get 25 million/year in the Big 10. Wonderful. That AD is such a bonehead.

Reaction Score
The AD is going to be on Fatso at 5

I am a little suprised. Tell me one of three things:
1) He is very brave
2) He is rather stupid
3) The video isn't what it seems

I would avoid the media like the plague until my PR Staff had at least 48 hours to craft a response (of course they may have been notified earlier this week).

Reaction Score
That is maybe the worst video of coaching abuse I've ever seen. We've seen video of single instances, but to have all that footage is flat out scary. What an embarrassment for Rutgers. And they still suck. At least Bob Knight won games.
Agreed. A 1-time transgression of losing your cool and calling a player something you shouldn't have, or demonstrating a technique with your hands a tad more physically than you should have ONCE....a 3-game suspension could be appropriate. Hours and hours of documented homophobic and ethnic slurs, along with physical contact that was sometimes VIOLENT? This coach, and the AD who tried to sweep this under the rug, need to go. Now. I'm very interested to see how RU moves forward. I don't see a way they can keep EITHER guy.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The AD is probably very stupid. Played tight end at Rutgers and was hand-picked by Greg Schiano to sign his expense reports. Supposedly worked for CBS college sports broadcasting before that, which is where we turned up the genius of Mike Aresco.

Reaction Score
This joke of an athletic department is about to get 25 million/year in the Big 10. Wonderful. That AD is such a bonehead.
Crazy....RU has just as much academic standing for a Big-10 invite as we do. Fine there. They don't even remotely approach our overall athletic program success or financial stability. I think the Big-10 will put heavy pressure on RU to do what they apparently don't have the good sense to do themselves.

The only thing worse than selling your soul to win is selling your soul to shoot for a .500 record. If RU doesn't can BOTH of these guys, that will be shameful.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Everytime I think of Rutgers in the B1G I die a little inside. I assume that sentiment is shared by most B1G fanbases and now some of the university presidents.

Reaction Score
Everytime I think of Rutgers in the B1G I die a little inside. I assume that sentiment is shared by most B1G fanbases and now some of the university presidents.
Agreed. But give credit where it is due. The fact that the Big 10 invited RU, and the ACC invited Louisville is a clear sign that both leagues only care about finances-at least they are OWNING who they are. Both leagues said it loud and proud with those 2 choices.

Reaction Score
Rutgers has to fire Rice now that they are clearly aware of his abusive behavior. If they don't can him and he injures a kid, they will get sued and certainly lose. I cannot believe that their legal counsel has not strongly recommended immediate termination.

Personally, I hope somebody beats his ass. He deserves it.

Reaction Score
I only needed to see 20 seconds of this BS coach to realize he should have been fired when this report surfaced. Totally unacceptable, throwing balls at kids, pushing kids, putting hands on kids. No way he survives this, their ad pernetti also has some explaining to do. The fact that the guy still has an office and is coaching is beyond my comprehension.

Rice makes Bob Knight look like a boy scout.

Reaction Score
While he does look like a crazy tyrant in the video it wasn't as bad as I thought it could be. For some reason I had images of him lining the kids up and firing the balls directly at their heads execution style. He did cuss like a drunken sailor and push kids around but the balls he threw at them were at their legs primarily. One went towards a kids head but didn't hit him. Im guessing he survives this just fine.

You must be smoking some Cali weed if your conclusion is he survives this "just fine" ;)

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
There is absolutely NO chance they will fire the AD.
The AD claimed on FAN that the school president was on board with the 3 game suspension. I would bet that the president's office will come out with some type of statement that "he was kept abreast of the situation by the AD, and based on his version of events agreed to let him handle it by suspension. The president had not seen and was not fully informed of the contents of the video."

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
You must be smoking some Cali weed if your conclusion is he survives this "just fine" ;)
Not since 1991 but I drink way too much. Maybe that's it.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
...the balls he threw at them were at their legs primarily. One went towards a kids head but didn't hit him. Im guessing he survives this just fine.

Looked more like he was throwing at their junk to me.

Reaction Score
I had some tough coaches in my day...the shoves were a bit much but I would have been cool enough with that. The profanity....wouldn't have phased me one bit. But if one of my coaches whipped a ball at me, especially my head....we would have been featured on the local news that night. No institution of higher learning can abide this type of behavior. I don't want to seem hyperbolic, but he has go to.
I would can him then make Tubby Smith realize he just signed up to live in Lubbock, TX.

Reaction Score
Brendan Prunty (@BrendanPrunty)
4/2/13, 6:27 PM
Gov. Chris Christie'office just issued a statement on Mike Rice: Governor Christie saw the video today for the first time and he is (cont'd)

4/2/13, 6:27 PM
"obviously deeply disturbed by the conduct displayed and strongly condemns this behavior. It's not the type of leadership we should be

4/2/13, 6:28 PM
showing our young people and clearly there are questions about this behavior that need to be answered by the leaders at Rutgers University.”

Reaction Score
It's a duck*ing news story.

A basketball coach throws basketballs at players' heads and throws out some homophobic slurs?

You don't think that's a story?

1. Mike Rice is history. Wasn't doing a good enough job to even have a discussion if he could survive something like this. The only question in my mind is whether the Chief of Police in Piscataway has the balls to show up at his house with a warrant to book him for a criminal assault.

2. Pernitti should also be gone as well. Apparently he knew about this and didn't feel like he needed to do more than suspend Rice for a few days. That will be more interesting, because Pernitti has capital in New Brunswick and Trenton with the Big Ten invite and a good football hire. But the potential liability for the state of keeping him is material.

3. This is not a small deal. Just from what is on the tape and what we otherwise know, Rice is guilty of criminal assault and violations of the civil rights of the foreign players whose accents he mocked. That is Section 1983 of federal law -- the Bull Connor statute (don't ask me who he coached). And Rice and Pernitti are guilty of violating state and federal whistleblower laws (Erich Murdock -- can you spell "caching?") his is not a small deal. Mike Rice is not an AAU coach. He is a highly paid employee of the State University of New Jersey. And, for Pernetti, based on the precedent set with Paterno, Spanier and others (admittedly for not stopping more serious crimes) he will be lucky to keep his job.

If there is any doubt after events of the last few years, it is not o.k. for state employees to assault subordinates, nor to make fun of them for being foreign born (or foreignors here legally to pursue an education) just because the state employee is a sports coach. Those days are (hopefully and rightfully) gone.,

Reaction Score
1. Mike Rice is history. Wasn't doing a good enough job to even have a discussion if he could survive something like this. The only question in my mind is whether the Chief of Police in Piscataway has the balls to show up at his house with a warrant to book him for a criminal assault.

2. Pernitti should also be gone as well. Apparently he knew about this and didn't feel like he needed to do more than suspend Rice for a few days. That will be more interesting, because Pernitti has capital in New Brunswick and Trenton with the Big Ten invite and a good football hire. But the potential liability for the state of keeping him is material.

3. This is not a small deal. Just from what is on the tape and what we otherwise know, Rice is guilty of criminal assault and violations of the civil rights of the foreign players whose accents he mocked. That is Section 1983 of federal law -- the Bull Connor statute (don't ask me who he coached). And Rice and Pernitti are guilty of violating state and federal whistleblower laws (Erich Murdock -- can you spell "caching?") his is not a small deal. Mike Rice is not an AAU coach. He is a highly paid employee of the State University of New Jersey. And, for Pernetti, based on the precedent set with Paterno, Spanier and others (admittedly for not stopping more serious crimes) he will be lucky to keep his job.

If there is any doubt after events of the last few years, it is not o.k. for state employees to assault subordinates, nor to make fun of them for being foreign born (or foreignors here legally to pursue an education) just because the state employee is a sports coach. Those days are (hopefully and rightfully) gone.,

If Pernetti was telling the truth with Francesa on WFAN, he and the President reviewed the tape together back in December. So I would assume that the President signed off on the original punishment.

Reaction Score
The title needs to be changed. Rice is going to have a bad Tuesday/Wednesday

Reaction Score
This is Penn State ... All over again.

Rutgers just got an invite worth $100s of millions of dollars. This was in the Presidents & ADs office in the Fall. They had knowledge of this. And like Spanier & his AD, they pushed it below the public domain. If this was in our news in August/Sept , would Jim Delaney be smiling behind a podium?

They protected Rutgers. They protected their self-interest in the path they chose. It's quite obvious that this was criminal & program/AD shattering. Cover-up again in the B1G.

Reaction Score
If Pernetti was telling the truth with Francesa on WFAN, he and the President reviewed the tape together back in December. So I would assume that the President signed off on the original punishment.

Then the trustees should can the president. Anyone who saw it and thought that anything but termination was appropriate needs to be taught a lesson.

Reaction Score
After seeing this tape how someone could leave this guy in charge of their student athletes is beyond me. Then you get into what the taxpayers are forking over for his salary and it becomes very damaging to the AD and President.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I am embarrassed to say that when I saw his sideline antics I thought "JC did that, too!"

Reaction Score
This is Penn State ... All over again.

Rutgers just got an invite worth $100s of millions of dollars. This was in the Presidents & ADs office in the Fall. They had knowledge of this. And like Spanier & his AD, they pushed it below the public domain. If this was in our news in August/Sept , would Jim Delaney be smiling behind a podium?

They protected Rutgers. They protected their self-interest in the path they chose. It's quite obvious that this was criminal & program/AD shattering. Cover-up again in the B1G.
Throwing basketballs at players and using homophobic slurs in one occasion /= covering up child rape and abuse for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom