Mikayla Coombs to Georgia [merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs to Georgia [merged thread]

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just some speculation on Mikayla's waiver request. She will be playing within 100 miles of her home at UGA. While I have heard nothing to substantiate this, is it possible that she may be requesting a medical waiver due to a family illness?
Mikayla's waiver request? Has than been established as a reality?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I'm not buying into this UCONN bias by the NCAA as it concerns the waiver process for WCBB. Why should I, when UCONN has never submitted a request? I see inconsistency and lack of transparency in the process (stupidity and perhaps incompetence) but not a UCONN bias. Too many people are acting as if UCONN submitted a waiver and ND submitted a waiver and the result was ND's was accepted ad UCONN's was denied. That is not what happened. People are also acting like ND was the first Waiver granted by the NCAA which is also not true. Clearly ND benefited from the waiver process. I dislike ND WCBB because I'm a UCONN fan but I can't blame ND for submitting. Talk to me after UCONN actually submits a request. Until then as Kara Larson would say It's all reckless conjecture".

We have a long history of mutual animosity regarding Emmert, thanks to his gross mismanagement of UCONN's building program when he was Chancellor, and acrimonious parting. I maintain that Geno refuses to apply for the waivers because he already knows what the answer will be. He has deliberately gone out of his way to ignore Emmert on the victory podium at past Final Fours.

Emmert basically made up a rule just for UCONN when he retroactively applied the APR rule to a situation with the men's BB team that didn't exist anymore. The result was a one year postseason ban in 2013. He made up a punitive, retroactive rule just to punish only us.

Emmert goes out of his way at every conceivable opportunity to stick it to UCONN. Geno was likely resigned to the fact that both parties hate each other, and filing the paperwork would be a total waste of time.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Q: Does NLI still matter once you are enrolled and on campus?
A: No.

C: EDD is very complimentary on how Geno treated her after she left. Seems inconsistent with what you are saying.
R: The entire family especially Ernie the dad was very complimentary of how compassionately Geno handled the entire situation. The most important thing about that is that Geno sensed very early on that this was a classic case of basketball burnout. EDD was on the national stage since she was 11 when she won her first AAU national Championship. The release from the signed NLI was a different really (mechanical issue) which would have allowed her to receive a basketball athletic scholarship from Delaware or any other university. UCONN did not release her but at the time it did not matter because she had no interest in playing basketball.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We have a long history of mutual animosity regarding Emmert, thanks to his gross mismanagement of UCONN's building program when he was Chancellor, and acrimonious parting. I maintain that Geno refuses to apply for the waivers because he already knows what the answer will be. He has deliberately gone out of his way to ignore Emmert on the victory podium at past Final Fours.
Emmert basically made up a rule just for UCONN when he retroactively applied the APR rule to a situation with the men's BB team that didn't exist anymore. The result was a one year postseason ban in 2013. He made up a punitive, retroactive rule just to punish only us.
Emmert goes out of his way at every conceivable opportunity to stick it to UCONN. Geno was likely resigned to the fact that both parties hate each other, and filing the paperwork would be a total waste of time.
Let's get back to talking about the waiver process and WCBB. Your contention is: Emmert gave ND a waiver just so he could screw over UCONN WCBB? Over 70% of the waiver that were requested last year in WCBB were approved. Was that also to screw over UCONN WCBB?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"I don't have an answer behind those other programs what happened, why some kids are eligible and some kids are not," Auriemma said. "I just know that our two (Azura and Batouly) are not. From talking to them, it doesn't seem like there is anything that would make me think 'OK we should go and pursue this.' I don't know happened that those other players were able to do that. If I felt there were something there, I would pursue it but it would be dishonest for me to think there is when there isn't."'
The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: No immediate eligibility for UConn's transfers
I remember this article. I interpreted as UConn applied and was turned down but did not look to appeal.

"I don't have an answer behind those other programs what happened, why some kids are eligible and some kids are not," Auriemma said. "I just know that our two (Azura and Batouly) are not. From talking to them, it doesn't seem like there is anything that would make me think 'OK we should go and pursue this.' I don't know happened that those other players were able to do that. If I felt there were something there, I would pursue it but it would be dishonest for me to think there is when there isn't."'

How would Geno "know" unless he applied for waiver...

Looking at it today I can see how you would read it otherwise, essentially Geno reviewing the rule seeing that Z and Camara didn't fit any established exceptions and decided not to file.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
And I'm saying that "forced" comment BS. Expect me to point that out every time you use it.
In any workplace in which I have worked or heard about, and probably in any workplace in America, when the boss says, "I don't want you here", he is asking for your resignation. If he then says the same thing to a group of influential outsiders (e.g., customers), that makes it even more emphatic. Basically, he is saying that it is in your best interest to resign, and you can't expect anything good to come from your staying.

So in substance, AEH was coerced to leave. Whether it got to the point that Geno actually pulled her scholarship is irrelevant.

I think the NCAA would and should understand that and take it into consideration when deciding whether to grant her a waiver.

CL82

Reaction Score
In any workplace in which I have worked or heard about, and probably in any workplace in America, when the boss says, "I don't want you here", he is asking for your resignation. If he then says the same thing to a group of influential outsiders (e.g., customers), that makes it even more emphatic. Basically, he is saying that it is in your best interest to resign, and you can't expect anything good to come from your staying.

So in substance, AEH was coerced to leave. Whether it got to the point that Geno actually pulled her scholarship is irrelevant.

I think the NCAA would and should understand that and take it into consideration when deciding whether to grant her a waiver.
There's no evidence that he said to her. I read that as Geno saying essentially saying yeah she transferred but she wasn't a productive part of our team.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I'm not buying into this UCONN bias by the NCAA as it concerns the waiver process for WCBB. Why should I, when UCONN has never submitted a request? I see inconsistency and lack of transparency in the process (stupidity and perhaps incompetence) but not a UCONN bias. Too many people are acting as if UCONN submitted a waiver and ND submitted a waiver and the result was ND's was accepted ad UCONN's was denied. That is not what happened. People are also acting like ND was the first Waiver granted by the NCAA which is also not true. Clearly ND benefited from the waiver process. I dislike ND WCBB because I'm a UCONN fan but I can't blame ND for submitting. Talk to me after UCONN actually submits a request. Until then as Kara Larson would say It's all reckless conjecture".

It is these (bolded) characteristic, which I agree are prominent in NCAA actions, that people filter through their respective team colored lenses and come to their team specific conclusions of bias. As I think you are stating, the "problem" is much more generic across the NCAA methods and process execution.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Let's get back to talking about the waiver process and WCBB. Your contention is: Emmert gave ND a waiver just so he could screw over UCONN WCBB? Over 70% of the waiver that were requested last year in WCBB were approved. Was that also to screw over UCONN WCBB?

No, I never indicated that. I only indicated Emmert has an axe to grind with UCONN, and he's done so repeatedly.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Geno's comments to a small group of fans ("influential outsiders???") were made after the announcement that AEH was transferring. Hence, those comments made nothing more emphatic to AEH.

She was asked to leave and she knew why. I'm sure Geno was pretty emphatic about it.

Reaction Score
So my question stands. Is there any rational basis for either accepting or denying waiver requests? Why in the world would Coombs be granted a waiver request after having played two full seasons? And why would AEH have been granted a waiver when she wasn't even enrolled in the second semester of her freshman year at Mississippi State? I can understand a situation in which a coach who has recruited a kid leaves before she arrives, or shortly after she arrives, if that coach was the one reason for going to that school. But otherwise, why would two UConn transfers be given special consideration?

It seems from this thread that this is a corrupt part of the NCAA. If Azura is not considered for a waiver, but a kid going to ND is, WTF?

Just asking if anyone knows a rational basis for these decisions. If no, then we'll go from there.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So my question stands. Is there any rational basis for either accepting or denying waiver requests? Why in the world would Coombs be granted a waiver request after having played two full seasons? And why would AEH have been granted a waiver when she wasn't even enrolled in the second semester of her freshman year at Mississippi State? I can understand a situation in which a coach who has recruited a kid leaves before she arrives, or shortly after she arrives, if that coach was the one reason for going to that school. But otherwise, why would two UConn transfers be given special consideration?

It doesn't matter that AEH was not enrolled for the 2nd semester. It only mattered that she would be enrolled for the fall semester. I'm not sure how many times that needs to be said. Plus, had she enrolled at Miss State for the spring semester she would not have filed for a waiver as she would have been eligible to play in early December.

Why are you saying that "two UConn transfers were given special consideration?" Coombs has not been granted a waiver. Her transfer to Georgia was just announced yesterday!!

It seems from this thread that this is a corrupt part of the NCAA. If Azura is not considered for a waiver, but a kid going to ND is, WTF?

Just asking if anyone knows a rational basis for these decisions. If no, then we'll go from there.

Again, no waiver petition was filed for Azura.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Q: Is there any rational basis for either accepting or denying waiver requests?
A: No. This is the NCAA you are dealing with and the process is confidential.

Q: Why in the world would Coombs be granted a waiver request after having played two full seasons?
A: Mikayla Coombs has not been granted a waiver request. Georgia is about to submit a request for Mikayla. The waiver request has nothing to do with how many season(s) partial or full a player has played. This request simply is a request not to sit out a year before competing at the new school.

Q: Why would AEH have been granted a waiver when she wasn't even enrolled in the second semester of her freshman year at Mississippi State?
A: We do not know when AEH enrolled at Mississippi State. Regardless, the request is for "immediate" eligibility: To play in the very first game of the season after being enrolled. For AEH that was November of 2018 at the earliest.

C: I can understand a situation in which a coach who has recruited a kid leaves before she arrives, or shortly after she arrives, if that coach was the one reason for going to that school.
R: You might want to check your understanding because there is no such consideration in the NCAA waiver process.

Q: But otherwise, why would two UConn transfers be given special consideration?
A: The entire waiver process is about special consideration. AEH has gone through the process and been approved. Mikayla is about to go through the process let's see what happen.

C: It seems from this thread that this is a corrupt part of the NCAA.
R: Corrupt implies that money is changing hands, this is NCAA WCBB there is no money to change hands with. Try a different adjective like incompetent or inconsistent.

Q: If Azura is not considered for a waiver, but a kid going to ND is, WTF?
A: Hopefully for the last time! UCONN did not submit a waiver request for Azura. ND submitted a waiver for Jessica Shepard and that waiver was approved just like request were approved for 38 other colleges last year not named ND or UCONN.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how you or anyone would know this. Again our sample size is VERY VERY small=1. As in 1 player who has left UCONN WBB and applied for a waiver. EDD transferred and was not released form her signed NLI which would have made her immediately eligible back in the day.
EDD had no desire to play basketball--reportedly--when she left UConn.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Q: Is there any rational basis for either accepting or denying waiver requests?
A: No. This is the NCAA you are dealing with and the process is confidential.

Q: Why in the world would Coombs be granted a waiver request after having played two full seasons?
A: Mikayla Coombs has not been granted a waiver request. Georgia is about to submit a request for Mikayla. The waiver request has nothing to do with how many season(s) partial or full a player has played. This request simply is a request not to sit out a year before competing at the new school.

Q: Why would AEH have been granted a waiver when she wasn't even enrolled in the second semester of her freshman year at Mississippi State?
A: We do not know when AEH enrolled at Mississippi State. Regardless, the request is for "immediate" eligibility: To play in the very first game of the season after being enrolled. For AEH that was November of 2018 at the earliest.

C: I can understand a situation in which a coach who has recruited a kid leaves before she arrives, or shortly after she arrives, if that coach was the one reason for going to that school.
R: You might want to check your understanding because there is no such consideration in the NCAA waiver process.

Q: But otherwise, why would two UConn transfers be given special consideration?
A: The entire waiver process is about special consideration. AEH has gone through the process and been approved. Mikayla is about to go through the process let's see what happen.

C: It seems from this thread that this is a corrupt part of the NCAA.
R: Corrupt implies that money is changing hands, this is NCAA WCBB there is no money to change hands with. Try a different adjective like incompetent or inconsistent.

Q: If Azura is not considered for a waiver, but a kid going to ND is, WTF?
A: Hopefully for the last time! UCONN did not submit a waiver request for Azura. ND submitted a waiver for Jessica Shepard and that waiver was approved just like request were approved for 38 other colleges last year not named ND or UCONN.

I can see why you have 1,000,001 BY points. :cool:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Got it, so since there is no basis for the BS "forced her out" "kicked her off the team" language, let's not use it? Kind of trollish, no?

I'm don't think that there is a transfer exception for "didn't want me on the team." But I do know that Geno doesn't oppose transferring players playing immediately. That can't be said about about other coaches.
Actually there is language out there that does say that. More or less.

While speculation surrounding her departure from the school swirled, a video of UConn head coach Geno Auriemma speaking to a group of donors emerged and ultimately played a big part in her waiver passing.

Under normal circumstances, a player has to sit out two semesters once they have enrolled at a new school. Espinoza-Hunter enrolled at Mississippi State this summer, meaning that without the waiver, she would not have been eligible until the 2019-20 season. With the comments made by Auriemma that seem to suggest that Espinoza-Hunter was asked to leave, the door opened up for her to be granted immediate eligibility.

It's from an article by Blake DuDonis where I got that quote. He also pulled a link from Raoul's twitter account from January 2018

WBB: Talking yesterday about his freshman class, UConn coach Geno Auriemma with some blunt comments on why Andra Espinoza-Hunter is transferring (starts ~11:00 mark of video) https://post original url/6CDj7iU6oy pic.twitter.com/DbsH4X0Zo7

— Raoul (@Raoul_000)
January 21, 2018

I don't follow Raoul on twitter so I can't access the video. He seems to indicate (Raoul) that he has the video of Geno commenting on AEH.

Reaction Score
Yes

CL82

Reaction Score
Actually there is language out there that does say that. More or less.

While speculation surrounding her departure from the school swirled, a video of UConn head coach Geno Auriemma speaking to a group of donors emerged and ultimately played a big part in her waiver passing.

Under normal circumstances, a player has to sit out two semesters once they have enrolled at a new school. Espinoza-Hunter enrolled at Mississippi State this summer, meaning that without the waiver, she would not have been eligible until the 2019-20 season. With the comments made by Auriemma that seem to suggest that Espinoza-Hunter was asked to leave, the door opened up for her to be granted immediate eligibility.

It's from an article by Blake DuDonis where I got that quote. He also pulled a link from Raoul's twitter account from January 2018

WBB: Talking yesterday about his freshman class, UConn coach Geno Auriemma with some blunt comments on why Andra Espinoza-Hunter is transferring (starts ~11:00 mark of video) https://post original url/6CDj7iU6oy pic.twitter.com/DbsH4X0Zo7

— Raoul (@Raoul_000)
January 21, 2018

I don't follow Raoul on twitter so I can't access the video. He seems to indicate (Raoul) that he has the video of Geno commenting on AEH.
That’s a commentary on that same quote which does not say she was asked to leave. She has never said so nor has Geno.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That’s a commentary on that same quote which does not say she was asked to leave. She has never said so nor has Geno.
Geno’s specific quote was something to the effect of, “She’s gone because I wanted her gone.”

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Geno’s specific quote was something to the effect of, “She’s gone because I wanted her gone.”
Bingo. I'm not sure why anyone is having such a hard time understanding this. It's been reported on numerous times by numerous people. I guess one could argue that saying "she's gone because I wanted her gone" is not the same as saying he asked her to leave, but it's splitting hairs. Bottom line, she didn't leave solely because it was her own choice. Anyway, on to the next!!

CL82

Reaction Score
Bingo. I'm not sure why anyone is having such a hard time understanding this. It's been reported on numerous times by numerous people. I guess one could argue that saying "she's gone because I wanted her gone" is not the same as saying he asked her to leave, but it's splitting hairs. Bottom line, she didn't leave solely because it was her own choice. Anyway, on to the next!!
Ugh, I don't want to keep bumping this discussion so this will be my last post on it.

Scholarships are renewed or not annually. Coaches don't need to "force" anyone out. They can renew or not. I take Geno's alleged statement (didn't see the video before it got nuked) as being that he didn't find her to productive. If he felt she was a productive positive part of the program, she'd had had more minutes and she'd have stayed. But she didn't do the things necessary to earn that time, because of that she wasn't a positive part of the program. That's a world of difference from hounding here out of the program.

AEH hasn't said she was forced out. I'm not sure why anyone would insist to the contrary.

Reaction Score
In one sense she had a choice about whatever the issue was (allegedly facial jewelry). I saw the tape. He also said [from memory], "You tell somebody to do something, and then you tell them again, and you tell them again, and after a while they're gone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom