Mikayla Coombs to Georgia [merged thread] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs to Georgia [merged thread]

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ugh, I don't want to keep bumping this discussion so this will be my last post on it.
Scholarships are renewed or not annually. Coaches don't need to "force" anyone out. They can renew or not.
Not quite.
"In 2015, the NCAA Division I “Power 5” Schools implemented a rule that has the effect of “protecting” Division I student-athletes from having their athletic scholarship cancelled or not renewed for any athletics reason. Quite simply, a coach cannot take away a scholarship for poor athletic performance."

Not sure if UCONN is following this practice or not but for P5 annual renewal of a scholarship has been a dead practice since 2015.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Ugh, I don't want to keep bumping this discussion so this will be my last post on it.

Scholarships are renewed or not annually. Coaches don't need to "force" anyone out. They can renew or not. I take Geno's alleged statement (didn't see the video before it got nuked) as being that he didn't find her to productive. If he felt she was a productive positive part of the program, she'd had had more minutes and she'd have stayed. But she didn't do the things necessary to earn that time, because of that she wasn't a positive part of the program. That's a world of difference from hounding here out of the program.

AEH hasn't said she was forced out. I'm not sure why anyone would insist to the contrary.
I would have been shocked if AEH were to go on record as to the reasons she left. But someone else DID go on record (for better or worse). To answer your question as to "why anyone would insist to the contrary - we have direct quotes from the Head Coach himself. "She's gone because I wanted her gone". Also, as @j66kicker also said, "You tell them to do something, then tell them again, then tell them again, after a while they are gone."

Did Geno need to be quoted as saying "when we met at the end of the year I did not renew her scholly"? He said under no uncertain terms that he wanted her gone. Even if he did it by simply not renewing the scholly, I have to believe there would have been some sort of conversation between him and AEH. He's never publicly said she wasn't productive and therefore the scholly was not renewed. He said the other things that have been quoted.

It's really cut and dry. Sometimes we have to make guesses as to what really goes on, but in this case on several occasions, Geno was very clear. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but there are multiple comments from Geno himself that give us clarity as to why she transferred.

With Coombs, we have to guess. Probably playing time combined with the kids who are already coming (Makurat) and hopefully on their way (Westbrook) as well as Bueckers and Muhl the following year. I have to "guess" to assume it was a PT and depth chart issue. With AEH there is no guessing needed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not quite.
"In 2015, the NCAA Division I “Power 5” Schools implemented a rule that has the effect of “protecting” Division I student-athletes from having their athletic scholarship cancelled or not renewed for any athletics reason. Quite simply, a coach cannot take away a scholarship for poor athletic performance."

Not sure if UCONN is following this practice or not but for P5 annual renewal of a scholarship has been a dead practice since 2015.
Thanks Coco, I wasn't aware of this. So the coach being candid about playing time is probably their biggest tool.

I would have been shocked if AEH were to go on record as to the reasons she left. But someone else DID go on record (for better or worse). To answer your question as to "why anyone would insist to the contrary - we have direct quotes from the Head Coach himself. "She's gone because I wanted her gone". Also, as @j66kicker also said, "You tell them to do something, then tell them again, then tell them again, after a while they are gone."

Did Geno need to be quoted as saying "when we met at the end of the year I did not renew her scholly"? He said under no uncertain terms that he wanted her gone. Even if he did it by simply not renewing the scholly, I have to believe there would have been some sort of conversation between him and AEH. He's never publicly said she wasn't productive and therefore the scholly was not renewed. He said the other things that have been quoted.

It's really cut and dry. Sometimes we have to make guesses as to what really goes on, but in this case on several occasions, Geno was very clear. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but there are multiple comments from Geno himself that give us clarity as to why she transferred.

With Coombs, we have to guess. Probably playing time combined with the kids who are already coming (Makurat) and hopefully on their way (Westbrook) as well as Bueckers and Muhl the following year. I have to "guess" to assume it was a PT and depth chart issue. With AEH there is no guessing needed.
Mmm, wanting them gone and "forcing them out" are different thing, IMO.

Maybe this semantics. Let's go at a different way. What actions do you believe would constitute "forcing a player out" generally? What actions do you believe Geno did to "force AEH" out? In my view letting a player know that aren't doing what's needed to earn playing time isn't "forcing a player out" that's coaching.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Maybe this semantics. Let's go at a different way. What actions do you believe would constitute "forcing a player out" generally? What actions do you believe Geno did to "force AEH" out? In my view letting a player know that aren't doing what's needed to earn playing time isn't "forcing a player out" that's coaching.

As has been discussed above, Geno Auriemma stated, "She's gone because I wanted her gone."

(Caveat...I did not independently listen to the YouTube recording of the statement and have not independently verified it; that being said, it has been reported by a few outlets and a few BY insiders.)

Given Geno Auriemma's:
  • 11 NCAA Championships
  • 20 Final Fours
  • 24 Conference Tournament Championships
  • 25 regular season conference crowns
  • 9 AP COY awards
  • 8 Naismith COY awards
  • 7 WBCA COY awards
  • 6 USBWA COY awards
...he certainly has earned all of the respect as the best-ever coach in WCBB history and has set standards for athletes on his team. D

Given all of this, do you really think/believe that Coach Auriemma was playing semantics with "wanting AEH gone" and "forcing AEH out" when he stated, "She's gone because I wanted her gone"?

Put another way, given your above-quoted posted, do you think Geno Auriemma DID or DID NOT tell AEH that she was no longer part of the program or not going to be part of the program going forward (whether you want to characterize it as dismissing her, forcing her out, etc.)?

Just my unsolicited $.02, from an outsider.

@EricLA
@j66kicker

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks Coco, I wasn't aware of this. So the coach being candid about playing time is probably their biggest tool.

I'm so sick of talking about AEH, so I'll answer generically: If any coach or employer (see @JoePgh post) wants you gone there are a number of different ways to convey that message. I have no idea what Geno said or did but the message was clear to the intended recipient because it always is.

Reaction Score
Based on what? I don't oppose it in anyway, and I'm sure Geno won't either, I'm just not sure what the rules are.
Nobody is sure what the rules are but I suspect if UConn does not oppose the waiver I think she has a chance to get the waiver.

Reaction Score
I'm so sick of talking about AEH, so I'll answer generically: If any coach or employer (see @JoePgh post) wants you gone there are a number of different ways to convey that message. I have no idea what Geno said or did but the message was clear to the intended recipient because it always is.
Coco, as a former business owner, I know you have to be very careful about dismissing an employee. If you do not document legitimate reason for the dismissal, you are inviting a lawsuit, a lawsuit that can cost lots of money and which the business is likely to lose unless they followed the guidelines for dismissal.

CL82

Reaction Score
That's kind of my issue. It's easy to make a blanket "forced out" accusation. No one knows what it means but it sure sounds unseemly. This isn't your hometown rec team. Playing time is earned. Allocating according to who meets their obligations and who helps the team the most isn't forcing people out it's coaching.

But I'm sick of talking about it as well.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco, as a former business owner, I know you have to be very careful about dismissing an employee. If you do not document legitimate reason for the dismissal, you are inviting a lawsuit, a lawsuit that can cost lots of money and which the business is likely to lose unless they followed the guidelines for dismissal.
I don't think business or life or basketball is any different in the sense that there are good, better, and worst ways to end any relationship. Legal guidelines, policies, HR and documentation certainly help. My main point though was about Geno and messaging: Geno is always very direct and unmistakably clear.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That's kind of my issue. It's easy to make a blanket "forced out" accusation. No one knows what it means but it sure sounds unseemly. This isn't your hometown rec team. Playing time is earned. Allocating according to who meets their obligations and who helps the team the most isn't forcing people out it's coaching. But I'm sick of talking about it as well.
I know I said I was sick of talking about AEH but since this is the second time you have mention it ( playing time): Playing time was not an issue. Unhappiness with being at UCONN was not an issue. I am drawing those conclusion from Geno full statement which has been so heavily butchered here already. Editorial: The issue appears to me to be not basketball related.

CL82

Reaction Score
I know I said I was sick of talking about AEH but since this is the second time you have mention it ( playing time): Playing time was not an issue. Unhappiness with being at UCONN was not an issue. I am drawing those conclusion from Geno full statement which has been so heavily butchered here already. Editorial: The issue appears to me to be not basketball related.
Check your PM.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Did Espinoza-Hunter transfer to Georgia too , or am I missing something? :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom