Michigan begins search for permanent AD | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Michigan begins search for permanent AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
According to my sources ;) there isn't a high level of interest in either direction with Long. Nothing confirmed, just sources repeating what their sources heard at the car wash.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sorry to say this, but he's the guy I want for Michigan's new AD.
a.jpg

"He's not the AD you are looking for."

Reaction Score
Once Warde is gone, he will not be thinking about UConn anymore.

He will not forget the opportunity Susan gave him, he's to much of a professional for that. Conversely, Susan will not LET him forget the opportunity she gave him! She's to good at her job for that!!!! It will work out in the end....

Reaction Score
Hiring a connected alumnus from Colorado St to be one's new AD has always proven to be a good strategy, right? Just one word, Hathaway.

I have heard Long as the top choice. Just look at the athletic budgets of the two schools and tell me what the better job is.

Jurich was at Colorado State before Louisville; and he is one of the movers in the industry.

Reaction Score
Jurich was at Colorado State before Louisville; and he is one of the movers in the industry.
Yeah..and we got his replacement....that didn't work out so well

Reaction Score
I think Warde is at the top of the list at the moment. Lots of chatter.

Although there could be a dark horse out there that could change the race. Somebody like Oliver Luck could toss his hat in the ring and make it a toss up.

I'd hate to lose Warde, but if has to be, can we work out a deal? Warde and an assistant AD to be named later to the B1G in exchange for an invite?

CL82

Reaction Score
I'd hate to lose Warde, but if has to be, can we work out a deal? Warde and an assistant AD to be named later to the B1G in exchange for an invite?
Done! As much as I'd hate to lose Manuel, done.... in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
Schlissel plans to emphasize campus input in AD search
https://www.michigandaily.com/section/news/schlissel-interview

>>In an exclusive meeting with The Michigan Daily Monday afternoon, University President Mark Schlissel discussed the search for a new athletic director. Schlissel noted that campus outreach and input will be a large factor of the search process. He said he intends to meet with a number of governing bodies — including Central Student Government, the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and the Senate Advisory Committee on University Affairs, as well as individual coaches and members of the Athletic Department’s staff, to evaluate what University constituents want most out of the new director. While gauging campus needs, Schlissel has also begun to independently develop a broad set of criteria. He is looking for “someone who gets the cultural aspects” — “a person of unquestioned integrity” who is capable of both upholding the University’s athletic excellence while also placing an emphasis on the “student” portion of “student-athlete.” “I’m looking for an athletic director that sort of gets it, that understands that athletics is a part of the University,” he said. “It’s not separate from the University; it exists to help build the community here, and to represent us, and to keep our alumni attached to the University, to develop student spirit, to give folks who care about athletics an outlet to either participate or, more often, to watch and cheer. -Michael Sugerman, The Michigan Daily<<

Reaction Score
That all makes sense. I think the students would throw Schlissel overboard if he brought in another guy that has difficulty seeing the big picture.

Based on instinct (no insider knowledge) I believe Warde's record will be looked at very favorably. Although, Bates seems to have more support than I expected. Above all, I hope this doesn't drag on for moths.

Reaction Score
That all makes sense. I think the students would throw Schlissel overboard if he brought in another guy that has difficulty seeing the big picture.

Based on instinct (no insider knowledge) I believe Warde's record will be looked at very favorably. Although, Bates seems to have more support than I expected. Above all, I hope this doesn't drag on for moths.
I can't see how Bates has support. The BC football and basketball programs have both fallen into the dumpster under his watch, ticket sales are all down, season ticket sales are down. It really makes no sense.

Reaction Score
I think Warde Manuel would be a great fit for Michigan. My gut tells me it is a distinct possibility that he will move on.

Reaction Score
Above all, I hope this doesn't drag on for months.

Ok, wish granted...
On the AD search. ... Sources said Jim Hackett wants to turn the reins over to the new AD by the start of the new year.
Sorry guys...
Also... UConn Athletic Director Warde Manuel is the favorite.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Warde Manuel would be a great fit for Michigan. My gut tells me it is a distinct possibility that he will move on.
Comments cited above by Michigan's Schlissel certainly highlight some of Warde's background. Most likely, Susie Herbst's proactively identified a narrow list of B1G-affiliated, rock star targets.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks Warde isn't high on the list for the job has an ax to grind. He's managed a huge B1G sized athletic department, he's handled the move of the hockey program to full D1 scholarship status, he's got multiple national titles, he brought in a winning coach at Buffalo, he's been involved in the fund raising and building of a state of the art basketball facility, he's getting new soccer, baseball, and softball facilities built. He's handled the retirement of a legendary coach. On paper it's pretty damn impressive. The knock is that we aren't in a P5 and some think he could have handled the retirement/Ollie situation better...these are minority positions though and you have to wonder how much anyone outside of UConn's fan base will hold that against him. I don't think anyone will. My main knock on him is that I think the writing was on the wall long before he fired Pasqualoni and he probably should have done it sooner, but I think it wasn't unreasonable to wait until he did.

I think he's gone. I'll be happy if he stays.

CL82

Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks Warde isn't high on the list for the job has an ax to grind. He's managed a huge B1G sized athletic department, he's handled the move of the hockey program to full D1 scholarship status, he's got multiple national titles, he brought in a winning coach at Buffalo, he's been involved in the fund raising and building of a state of the art basketball facility, he's getting new soccer, baseball, and softball facilities built. He's handled the retirement of a legendary coach. On paper it's pretty damn impressive. The knock is that we aren't in a P5 and some think he could have handled the retirement/Ollie situation better...these are minority positions though and you have to wonder how much anyone outside of UConn's fan base will hold that against him. I don't think anyone will. My main knock on him is that I think the writing was on the wall long before he fired Pasqualoni and he probably should have done it sooner, but I think it wasn't unreasonable to wait until he did.

I think he's gone. I'll be happy if he stays.
... but, but, but he took too long to fire Pasqualoni....and donuts....and pina coladas...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak