Michigan begins search for permanent AD | The Boneyard

Michigan begins search for permanent AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I wonder what kind of an impact this will have. Will Flipper still act in a manner to "protect BC's supposed 'turf'" or will he put in a strong word for Bates? There are obviously others on this committee but an interesting name, nonetheless.

"U-M has hired Turnkey Search, a subsidiary of Turnkey Sports and Entertainment, to assist with the search. The university's lead consultants will be Len Perna, a U-M alumnus and Turnkey founder and CEO; and Gene DeFilippo, a senior executive director at Turnkey and former athletic director at several schools including Boston College, Villanova and Kentucky."

Reaction Score
I wonder what kind of an impact this will have. Will Flipper still act in a manner to "protect BC's supposed 'turf'" or will he put in a strong word for Bates? There are obviously others on this committee but an interesting name, nonetheless.

"U-M has hired Turnkey Search, a subsidiary of Turnkey Sports and Entertainment, to assist with the search. The university's lead consultants will be Len Perna, a U-M alumnus and Turnkey founder and CEO; and Gene DeFilippo, a senior executive director at Turnkey and former athletic director at several schools including Boston College, Villanova and Kentucky."

Good catch. I totally glossed over that name. I wouldn't be surprised if he pushes them towards Warde in effort to screw us over.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
and Gene DeFilippo, a senior executive director at Turnkey and former athletic director at several schools including Boston College, Villanova and Kentucky."

I was just about to post that myself. I had wondered what had happened to Flipper! Think he wouldn't mind getting another jab in at UConn?!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
If Michigan goes after Warde, the silver lining is then you have Mark Schlissel, former provost at Brown University and now the Michigan president, and Warde the Michigan AD... Both very familiar with UConn.

Then you've got Susan's ties to Northwestern. Votes of confidence from Northwestern and Michigan would go a long way, and Delany has already laid down the map for more eastern schools.

Last edited:

Dooley

Reaction Score
Good catch. I totally glossed over that name. I wouldn't be surprised if he pushes them towards Warde in effort to screw us over.
I was just about to post that myself. I had wondered what had happened to Flipper! Think he wouldn't mind getting another jab in at UConn?!:rolleyes:

No doubt. Granted, there are other members of this committee but as we saw with ACC expansion, all it takes is one little bird to start chirping to get an anti-UConn ball rolling. He could really deal a swift blow to UConn while protecting BC's interests if he went all-in on Warde. We're doing everything possible to get into the B1G and having to replace a successful AD at this stage in the game would be a significant blow to the university.

Dooley

Reaction Score
If Michigan goes after Warde, the silver lining is then you have Mark Schlissel, former provost at Brown University and now the Michigan president, and Warde the Michigan AD... Both very familiar with UConn.

Then you've got Susan's ties to Northwestern. Votes of confidence from Northwestern and Michigan would go a long way, and Delany has already laid down the map for more eastern schools.

This would be the silver lining, I suppose. The more people with UConn ties in the B1G, the better for UConn (I would think). But, the immediate impact to UConn would be pretty significant. Especially if Kevin Ollie's contract clause kicks in and he decides to leave for the NBA and Diaco is pursued by other openings after what should be a successful 2016 season. Those are two huge hires that we could potentially be looking at for a new AD to make.

Color me nervous.

Reaction Score

Don't forget our alliances on the education/research side with tOSU and Wisconsin.

Reaction Score
No doubt. Granted, there are other members of this committee but as we saw with ACC expansion, all it takes is one little bird to start chirping to get an anti-UConn ball rolling. He could really deal a swift blow to UConn while protecting BC's interests if he went all-in on Warde. We're doing everything possible to get into the B1G and having to replace a successful AD at this stage in the game would be a significant blow to the university.

DeFilippo was booted from BC, so I doubt he is thinking of protecting BC, but I would think it would be hard for DeFilippo to recommend Bates as Bates replaced him at BC.

As for Warde, he has done a good job at UConn which will make him an attractive candidate for Michigan and he would be hard to replace. I'm sure he would be an advocate for UConn in the Big 10 going forward, so it could be a positive.

I agree that it is scary to think about hiring a new AD, but it also creates an opportunity. Warde was hired to clean up the APR mess, which he did, but he was not hired because he was the best AD to help position UConn for conference realignment or to grow athletic department donations. Maybe UConn can find someone who fits the current needs better than Warde.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It would be a significant loss. Warde's been solid post 'ville to ACC.

Re: DeFilippo, is anyone else thinking that we should have this guy killed long ago? It's just one gofundme page away from happening...just saying.

Reaction Score
Honestly, this ties to "Michigan" stuff has its downside.

That is one of the top handful of AD in the country. Having one criteria be looking at the slice of the industry that have had some exposure to the Wolverines and Ann Arbor seems highly limiting. What is the Plan? That, to me, drives what kind of executive you should go for.

Reaction Score
I don't worry about anyone getting plucked from UCONN because chances are there is someone else out there even more qualified, although I do think Herbst is a great person to have out front. As long as UCONN is on the outside, it will be difficult to keep folks from leaving for bigger jobs, hoops being the exception.

Reaction Score
It would be a significant loss. Warde's been solid post 'ville to ACC.

Re: DeFilippo, is anyone else thinking that we should have this guy killed long ago? It's just one gofundme page away from happening...just saying.
Can't kill the devil.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
As long as UCONN is on the outside, it will be difficult to keep folks from leaving for bigger jobs, hoops being the exception.

I understand that everyone will say that this is a product of being outside the P5. But in this case, it is not relevant.

Warde was a Michigan football player under Bo, graduated from Michigan, and started his career at Michigan. I am sure he has been honest with Herbst from the get-go that he would only leave UConn for Michigan. If he is offered the job, he is gone. It is truly his dream job (I know that is a term that is a joke around here with the HCRE fiasco, but it is actually true in this instance). Being in conference purgatory has nothing to do with this scenario. We could have a special arrangement where we were in the B1G for football, ACC for basketball/soccer/field hockey, Hockey East for Ice Hockey and it wouldn't matter. He is a "Michigan Man" and would take the job as soon as it was offered to him.

Reaction Score
I understand that everyone will say that this is a product of being outside the P5. But in this case, it is not relevant.

Warde was a Michigan football player under Bo, graduated from Michigan, and started his career at Michigan. I am sure he has been honest with Herbst from the get-go that he would only leave UConn for Michigan. If he is offered the job, he is gone. It is truly his dream job (I know that is a term that is a joke around here with the HCRE fiasco, but it is actually true in this instance). Being in conference purgatory has nothing to do with this scenario. We could have a special arrangement where we were in the B1G for football, ACC for basketball/soccer/field hockey, Hockey East for Ice Hockey and it wouldn't matter. He is a "Michigan Man" and would take the job as soon as it was offered to him.
Why is it not relevant? Who wouldn't take the Michigan job over UCONN? My point was that anyone would be inclined to leave UCONN for any B1G job, except for Rutgers of course.

Reaction Score
Why is it not relevant? Who wouldn't take the Michigan job over UCONN? My point was that anyone would be inclined to leave UCONN for any B1G job, except for Rutgers of course.

Even if we were in the B1G, we'd still lose Warde - and likely anyone else - to the Michigan AD job. Michigan is one of the very top AD jobs in the country.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
"Look, Jim, I'm not going to pretend that I'll stand in Warde's way...but it would soften the blow if you came through with that invite for us..."

Reaction Score
I can't believe a tool like DiFilippo was given a job where he has clout like this.

If Warde leaves, I trust Susan will find a very good replacement, preferably someone with B1G ties, just because.

Reaction Score
Even if we were in the B1G, we'd still lose Warde - and likely anyone else - to the Michigan AD job. Michigan is one of the very top AD jobs in the country.
Agreed. But if we were in the B1G, the last thing I'd care about is the AD job.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I can't believe a tool like DiFilippo was given a job where he has clout like this.

If Warde leaves, I trust Susan will find a very good replacement, preferably someone with B1G ties, just because.
Especially when you look at his last few hiring decisions before he left BC.

Reaction Score

LMAO. Yes, Flipper wakes up and goes to work every day saying what can I do for BC. Not what can I do to make more money.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He knows people in the AD circles and can get references on various AD's and staffers through that network. He doesn't have to do anything except make phone calls and pass on what people tell him.

Hardly a glamour job.

Reaction Score
When was Flipper AD for uk? Both are as sleazy as they come, but I didn't know they slept together.

Michigan's potentially B1G for Warde, but the Illinois Chancellor and AD jobs also aren't exactly chopped lover for motivated leaders aspiring to take on B1G challenges.

Dooley

Reaction Score
LMAO. Yes, Flipper wakes up and goes to work every day saying what can I do for BC. Not what can I do to make more money.

The guy worked there for 15 years. He took over the AD job after BC had a gambling scandal and brought stability to the Heights. While AD, he led BC out of a sinking ship conference to a power conference and worked, rather successfully, to protect their so-called 'turf'. For all of those things, he is beloved at Boston College. He left the job because he has cancer, not for money. To think that he still does not have an open line communication within BC is naive.

Again, I didn't say he carries the most weight in this Michigan AD search committee. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if there are people at Boston College communicating with Flipper and if they are pleading with him to stay away from Bates, he'll surely pass that along.

Reaction Score
The guy worked there for 15 years. He took over the AD job after BC had a gambling scandal and brought stability to the Heights. While AD, he led BC out of a sinking ship conference to a power conference and worked, rather successfully, to protect their so-called 'turf'. For all of those things, he is beloved at Boston College. He left the job because he has cancer, not for money. To think that he still does not have an open line communication within BC is naive.

Again, I didn't say he carries the most weight in this Michigan AD search committee. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if there are people at Boston College communicating with Flipper and if they are pleading with him to stay away from Bates, he'll surely pass that along.

I don't think DeFilippo is "beloved" at BC. Sure, he got BC into the ACC, which is a huge accomplishment, but he generally alienated the fan base and made terrible personnel decisions. He did not hire a competent coach while he was at BC and he pushed out the football coach (Tom O'Brien), the men's basketball coach (Al Skinner), and the women's basketball coach (Inglese) who all had good records at BC and the 3 sports have never recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom