Michigan begins search for permanent AD | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Michigan begins search for permanent AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Brad Bates is on thin ice at BC, many want him fired. I can't see him as a legitimate candidate there. It would seem the job is Jeff Long's if he wants it. Warde has a lot of accomplishments here, but I'm not sure his stand up against Long's just yet.

Reaction Score
Brad Bates is on thin ice at BC, many want him fired. I can't see him as a legitimate candidate there. It would seem the job is Jeff Long's if he wants it. Warde has a lot of accomplishments here, but I'm not sure his stand up against Long's just yet.

I have a different take on Bates. He realizes that BC is a much harder job than expected and he would probably take a pay cut to go to Michigan.

Reaction Score
LMFAO...yeah...I don't get it either. I always look back at the incompetent Hathaway and how things were to how they are today. You don't earn the UA AD of the Year for being incompetent that's for sure.

And odds say you are much more likely to find another Hathaway than another Warde. Another Hathaway would set us back a decade...at least.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This visceral hatred some of you have for Ward is head-scratchingly bizarre.

Not caring if he stays or goes is not hatred. If he stays fine, if he goes fine. I'm not spending one drop of concern on it.

Reaction Score
Not caring if he stays or goes is not hatred. If he stays fine, if he goes fine. I'm not spending one drop of concern on it.

Perhaps not you in particular but in certain corners of the BY the guy can't catch a break and I just don't get it. Even calling him "meh" is bizzare, he's done great things for our Athletic Department in his time here.

Reaction Score
The more I think about it, the more I think Warde is the right choice for Michigan. He knows the lay of the land, he was a freshman on the football team when Harbaugh was a senior, he's made good coaching hires at UConn, athlete academic performance has improved at UConn, he is an experienced AD and was named Under Armour AD of the year, and he is a good guy. Clearly, he is a better choice than Brad Bates at BC as he has accomplished more in his career and he has more experience in the athletic department at Michigan.

Reaction Score
I don't want to be politically incorrect. However, what role might affirmative action play in a Michigan hiring decision? It is probably too important of a position to base totally on affirmative action. A friend of mine who used to work for the state of Connecticut told me about their affirmative action goals for each position, there would be goals listed for every race and gender. He claims there was no listing for white males and they would fall in an other category. I hope I'm not offending anyone, just mentioning something important in the way universities and government operate. I don't have a strong opinion on Ward, unlike others on this board

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
I don't want to be politically incorrect. However, what role might affirmative action play in a Michigan hiring decision? It is probably too important of a position to base totally on affirmative action. A friend of mine who used to work for the state of Connecticut told me about their affirmative action goals for each position, there would be goals listed for every race and gender. He claims there was no listing for white males and they would fall in an other category. I hope I'm not offending anyone, just mentioning something important in the way universities and government operate. I don't have a strong opinion on Ward, unlike others on this board

You're probably on to something.
As a white man with a Hispanic last name I don't know if I have anything to offer other than I believe my acceptance to UCONN back in 1993 had a lot to do with Affirmative Action.
I did not have the greatest grades in HS finishing 68 of 150 in my graduating class.
But there was a brain drain going on back then and I got accepted.

Interestingly I received mail every other day from the Puerto Rican Latin American Cultural Center to join them for events.
And the occasional phone call to my room for mentorship help and other assistance.
My room mate and I laughed it off at the time but I was definitely on a list and filled some quota.

Either way I did my part and graduated without any special "help".

On a side note, we had a friend with a traditionally southern black name and she got black roomates her first three years of school.
Somebody in admissions and housing was playing some name games up there in Storrs in the early 90's.

Reaction Score
To be honest out of the 4 candidates on the list in that article, outside of Jeff Long Warde is the next most qualified candidate. IMHO they will offer the job to Long and if he decides to stay at Arkansas then Warde will be next up...and out the door back to his Alma Mater.

Reaction Score
To be honest out of the 4 candidates on the list in that article, outside of Jeff Long Warde is the next most qualified candidate. IMHO they will offer the job to Long and if he decides to stay at Arkansas then Warde will be next up...and out the door back to his Alma Mater.
I agree that's how it will go. Bates I don't see as a serious candidate, he's done terribly at BC. Warde has done well here, but I agree it would not be a disaster if he left - but we would absolutely have to make the right hire. Having another ally at one of the most influential B1G schools and a solid replacement at UConn would be a good trade.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, I can't leave UConn until I get them in the P5. Wink wink cough cough

Reaction Score
You're probably on to something.
As a white man with a Hispanic last name ...Interestingly I received mail every other day from the Puerto Rican Latin American Cultural Center to join them for events.

My family has been Catholic for at least 6 generations from what I know of; but, with my last name, I have been invited to join the local Synagogue every time I move. Sticking Catholic primarily because the Church has better food (Italian) than the Synagogue.

Reaction Score
Right. The only two choices are Manuel and one of the worst AD's in the last 10 years. Got it.

Did I say that? Maybe my words appear differently on your screen than on any other screen on the planet. Did you buy yours at Sam's Club? Is it too late to return it? If not, I would hurry up to get my money back If I were you. Of course, If I were you I would just shut the hell up sometimes (and I generally like your posts).

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
The more I think about it, the more I think Warde is the right choice for Michigan. He knows the lay of the land, he was a freshman on the football team when Harbaugh was a senior, he's made good coaching hires at UConn, athlete academic performance has improved at UConn, he is an experienced AD and was named Under Armour AD of the year, and he is a good guy. Clearly, he is a better choice than Brad Bates at BC as he has accomplished more in his career and he has more experience in the athletic department at Michigan.

Very little inside info out from the Michigan side. Most speculate that Warde is the likely choice, but nothing concrete. There is a faction that really likes Colorado St AD Joe Parker. He is a Michigan alumnus and has worked in the Michigan AD previously. He is thought to be an up and comer in the business. Obviously, Jeff Long is thought highly of, but will be hard to pry away from Arkansas.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
dayooper said:
Very little inside info out from the Michigan side. Most speculate that Warde is the likely choice, but nothing concrete. There is a faction that really likes Colorado St AD Joe Parker. He is a Michigan alumnus and has worked in the Michigan AD previously. He is thought to be an up and comer in the business. Obviously, Jeff Long is thought highly of, but will be hard to pry away from Arkansas.

Long hired Bielema, that will come home at some point. He'd jump at an offer in a hot minute. It's Michigan.

Reaction Score

Hiring a connected alumnus from Colorado St to be one's new AD has always proven to be a good strategy, right? Just one word, Hathaway.

I have heard Long as the top choice. Just look at the athletic budgets of the two schools and tell me what the better job is.

Reaction Score
Having Warde pulling and Pernetti pushing for the B1G would be helpful. Michigan also searching for a Defensive Coordinator.
Once Warde is gone, he will not be thinking about UConn anymore.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
That loser Ward Manual just got UConn Hockey on both SNY and NESN.

I'll sure be glad when he's gone and stops signing deals to increase out exposure in key markets.

Sorry to say this, but he's the guy I want for Michigan's new AD.

Reaction Score
Sorry to say this, but he's the guy I want for Michigan's new AD.

I think Warde is at the top of the list at the moment. Lots of chatter.

Although there could be a dark horse out there that could change the race. Somebody like Oliver Luck could toss his hat in the ring and make it a toss up.

Reaction Score
I think Warde is at the top of the list at the moment. Lots of chatter.

Although there could be a dark horse out there that could change the race. Somebody like Oliver Luck could toss his hat in the ring and make it a toss up.
Over Long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak