Michigan begins search for permanent AD | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Michigan begins search for permanent AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The guy worked there for 15 years. He took over the AD job after BC had a gambling scandal and brought stability to the Heights. While AD, he led BC out of a sinking ship conference to a power conference and worked, rather successfully, to protect their so-called 'turf'. For all of those things, he is beloved at Boston College. He left the job because he has cancer, not for money. To think that he still does not have an open line communication within BC is naive.

Again, I didn't say he carries the most weight in this Michigan AD search committee. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if there are people at Boston College communicating with Flipper and if they are pleading with him to stay away from Bates, he'll surely pass that along.

Also, remember Rule #1 of Conference Realignment.

Reaction Score
Of course Warde will take the Michigan job if offered. Anyone else hear that Tim Pernetti is quietly expressing interest in the UConn AD job if it opens? He's currently at IMG.

Reaction Score
Of course Warde will take the Michigan job if offered. Anyone else hear that Tim Pernetti is quietly expressing interest in the UConn AD job if it opens? He's currently at IMG.
RE: Pernetti no...but it wouldn't surprise me. Being the President of IMG College I'm positive he would get a pretty good inside look at the school and the job. One thing is definitely for sure....working for Susan Herbst is a LOT different than working for Bob Barchi.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Hmmmmm interesting. You know, I have thought about the possibility of this happening. His connections were able to get frick fracking RUTGERS into the Big 10. I can only imagine what he'd be able to do with a competent athletic department like UConn's.

If this ever came to fruition, assuming Warde leaves for Michigan, then that would be one helluva statement made by President Herbst. We could officially wind the B1G Countdown Clock.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I am not particularly enamored of Pernetti. Sure he has connections and he picked up the phone when Delany called, but how much of the B1G decision was due to his initiatives, and how much was due to his predecessors and higher-ups in the university? And cable boxes? He was let go after bungling the Mike Rice situation and he didn't last long with NYCFC. If he has his own accomplishments I'd like to hear them.

Reaction Score
I am not particularly enamored of Pernetti. Sure he has connections and he picked up the phone when Delany called, but how much of the B1G decision was due to his initiatives, and how much was due to his predecessors and higher-ups in the university? And cable boxes? He was let go after bungling the Mike Rice situation and he didn't last long with NYCFC. If he has his own accomplishments I'd like to hear them.

When Rutgers got the B1G invite, most of the talk was that it was due to Pernetti hustling his ass off and getting them in with the right people. Obviously that's a lot of hearsay, but it's worth considering. He did screw up the Mike Rice thing, but fortunately, I don't see KO beating the hell out of any of the players.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure he did screw up the Mike Rice thing. IIRC he took it to Barchi who told him to leave it alone, or am I 'mis-remembering?'

I think that I'd be okay with Pernetti for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that it is a reaffirmation of our commitment to move to the P5.

That said, I rather Manuel not leave.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Agreed - I think our best chance is for consistency in our leadership positions to continue building and maintaining relationships. But if we did have to replace Warde at this stage of the game, bringing it a hound dog like Pernetti, who will work tirelessly to get us into the B1G, would not be the worst thing in the world.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure he did screw up the Mike Rice thing. IIRC he took it to Barchi who told him to leave it alone, or am I 'mis-remembering?'

I think that I'd be okay with Pernetti for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that is a reaffirmation of our commitment to move to the P5.

That said, I rather Manuel not leave.
Yeah..from what I remember form that situation he kicked it up to Barchi immediately on finding out...then was made the fall guy. Barchi is Christie's boy, so it was easy to see how that was going to play out.

Reaction Score
Things could be worse..we could be South Carolina where the AD seems to be completely over matched in searching for a new football coach.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Won't give a second thought if Warde leaves. He defines"meh".

Reaction Score
Pernetti would be a great catch for UConn. Looking at the Michigan final four however, I will be surprised if Warde gets that job this time around.

Reaction Score
Having Warde pulling and Pernetti pushing for the B1G would be helpful. Michigan also searching for a Defensive Coordinator.

Reaction Score
Hmmmmm interesting. You know, I have thought about the possibility of this happening. His connections were able to get frick fracking RUTGERS into the Big 10. I can only imagine what he'd be able to do with a competent athletic department like UConn's.

If this ever came to fruition, assuming Warde leaves for Michigan, then that would be one helluva statement made by President Herbst. We could officially wind the B1G Countdown Clock.

If Michigan offers Warde the job, he's gone and it will not be disrespectful to UConn or to Warde. Warde has strong ties to Ann Arbor and that is one of the Top 5 AD jobs in the country. Who would say no to that?

Not sure about Pernetti going to UConn. He is still very tight with Rutgers, even after Barchi through him under the bus. The guys bleeds Scarlett and the Rutgers AD job was his dream college job. Thus, I am not sure if he would view going to UConn (or any other college) would be disloyal. Plus, he has young kids and is VERY involved in the local community. I am not sure he would be willing to relocate to CT at this point in his family's life.

Reaction Score
Yeah..from what I remember form that situation he kicked it up to Barchi immediately on finding out...then was made the fall guy. Barchi is Christie's boy, so it was easy to see how that was going to play out.

That's what I recall, too. Pernitti's biggest mistake was not taking care of the issue himself and trusting his President Barchi to back him up. Barchi dropped the ball, likely because he can't even find Rutgers Athletic Department, and when he was left with the hot potato, Governor Christie gave Barchi a get-of-jail who then made Pernitti the scapegoat.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That's what I recall, too. Pernitti's biggest mistake was not taking care of the issue himself and trusting his President Barchi to back him up. Barchi dropped the ball, likely because he can't even find Rutgers Athletic Department, and when he was left with the hot potato, Governor Christie gave Barchi a get-of-jail who then made Pernitti the scapegoat.
God you guys have a woody for Christie....

Just saying.

Reaction Score
Won't give a second thought if Warde leaves. He defines"meh".

You're nuts.

The guy locked in KO to a deal when he was thinking of jumping to the NBA.

He brought in Diaco who has turned this program from literally one of the worst in the nation to a bowl eligible team in 24 months.

In terms of football scheduling he's gotten the best OOC sched we could ask for as a G5 program with home-and-homes with Mizzou, Cuse, BC, BYU, Boise State, Virginia, Illinois and Indiana.

This visceral hatred some of you have for Ward is head-scratchingly bizarre.

Yes, we still aren't in a P5 conference. But if you think that was something he could do himself by waving a magic wand you're nuts.

Reaction Score
You're nuts.

The guy locked in KO to a deal when he was thinking of jumping to the NBA.

He brought in Diaco who has turned this program from literally one of the worst in the nation to a bowl eligible team in 24 months.

In terms of football scheduling he's gotten the best OOC sched we could ask for as a G5 program with home-and-homes with Mizzou, Cuse, BC, BYU, Boise State, Virginia, Illinois and Indiana.

This visceral hatred some of you have for Ward is head-scratchingly bizarre.

Yes, we still aren't in a P5 conference. But if you think that was something he could do himself by waving a magic wand you're nuts.
Don't forget the upgrade to HE for hockey/hiring of Cav, getting the Champions Center done in 18 months from drawings to completion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom