Michelle Voepel reprising the bad for basketball argument | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Michelle Voepel reprising the bad for basketball argument

Reaction Score
This is pretty weird. It's the very FRESHNESS of this UConn edition that's so attractive. Nothing stale and repetitive to cry "deja vu" over.
How better can you describe a Husky team made up of all underclassmen and a freshman who's having an historically unique year? Fresh, that's the word.
And while I'm at it, how can anyone seriously anoint Brenda Frese the COY? Would any of the successful teams trade their coach even-up for the head Terp? She's ,more than 20 years between an NC, and there's talk down here of at least a couple of her present players leaving the program (again). One has publicly dissed the program. How great is all that?
She must be a great recruiter and the school must show it self really well. She continues to get great recruiting classes and then does nothing with them. This year was an anomaly and still look what happened. Would not be surprised if she has kids transfer out again.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
She can't help herself. In article/discussion with Charlie Creme. Paraphrased - "UConn in it's 13th straight f4. Better for WCBB to end that streak."
I think the OP misread the column. She literally says that UConns dominance has been good to help grow the game. Then she goes on to say that new faces are good as well. This anti-UConn bias that some people see is generally hogwash.
Voepel: It matters a ton, for all the reasons Charlie said. This is a meeting of two very different generations of coaches who are both successful. No one has accomplished more than Geno Auriemma's 11 NCAA titles. It's hard to imagine we'll ever see another program replicate this, and for the growth of the sport, it's probably best if that's the case.

I can't figure out how the OP twisted this into "Paraphrased - "UConn in it's 13th straight f4. Better for WCBB to end that streak.""
My two cents: not a distortion at all, an oversimplification sure. The implication is clear that continued dominance by one program, UConn in this case, is not in the best interest of the sport.

And Glenn, if you want to see anti -UConn bias just go visit VolNation. ;)

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I know we often say NC or bust at Connecticut, but for many programs just reaching the final four is an incredible achievement. Think about how for the last 13 seasons, or 14 years, no team in Connecticut’s bracket has broken through. That’s since 2008, or when Tennessee last won a NC!!! We have continued to be at this bad for basketball level for a long time. Now it seems we are poised to once again be really bad for basketball. With the team we have next year, it should be another final four at minimum. And 3 years of Fudd and Bueckers should keep the ball rolling.
Isn't that just wonderful! They'll all be crying UConn is bad for women's basketball.
But, just to appease the mojo gods; "we're DOOMED!!!"

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
My two cents: not a distortion at all, an oversimplification sure. The implication is clear that continued dominance by one program, UConn in this case, is not in the best interest of the sport.

And Glenn, if you want to see anti -UConn bias just go visit VolNation. ;)
Oversimplification, I'll cop to. In the context of previous MV musings, it is consistent and, at the least, a mini-micro-aggression. Not that it bothers me, just trying to make conversation. Frankly, as a 60-something Red Sox fan who has suffered plenty of Yankee fatigue in my day, I get it.

Reaction Score
Well, maybe a little bit of a hot take on my part... I'll admit that "shouldn't happen again" is not exactly "should end". Still, I think Michelle has made it clear that she's had enough UConn.
I thought it was pretty clear that Voepel meant we shouldn’t have any team going to 13 straight FF’s again - UConn or anybody else. Not that UCONN doing it the first time was bad, but now there’s more parity and that trend should continue.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I know we often say NC or bust at Connecticut, but for many programs just reaching the final four is an incredible achievement. Think about how for the last 13 seasons, or 14 years, no team in Connecticut’s bracket has broken through. That’s since 2008, or when Tennessee last won a NC!!! We have continued to be at this bad for basketball level for a long time. Now it seems we are poised to once again be really bad for basketball. With the team we have next year, it should be another final four at minimum. And 3 years of Fudd and Bueckers should keep the ball rolling.
at least, we don't have to hear that we have the unfair Albany advantage this time.

Reaction Score
Here’s the thing.

PAST: UCONN WBB like the U.S. Women’s soccer team were good for their sports because their excellence of play generated great interest by girls who then participated in the sports. This resulted, in part, to the increased parity we see today in college women’s hoops and Soccer. In soccer, it has also helped internationally as more countries are making a more serious commitment to their women’s programs in an effort to compete.

PRESENT: If UCONN wins the NC, it will be against teams that are their equal or very close to it. If UCONN played Baylor 4 times this year, it’s likely that each team would win 2 games. Stanford may be another example. Maybe SC. Regardless of the winner, these games are highly contested and generate interest and higher viewership. The fact that UCONN is severely challenged from the Elite Eight forward is good for the sport. Win or lose, UCONN being part of the top group of teams is not bad for the sport. No problem with rooting against them if that is what the haters are reduced to but their presence and excellence of play continues to a plus for the sport.

FUTURE: Based on their current roster and players who have committed to play for UCONN, they won’t be leaving “top-level” status anytime soon. But, as good as they are and possibly will be, there will be teams who have enough talent to beat them on any given night. The key here is the number of teams that we can put in that group. I’m optimistic, based on the overall level of play in this years tourney, that the number of teams with a legitimate shot at reaching the FF will continue to grow. That is good for the sport regardless of UCONN’s place in it. Parity is the result of increased talent being dispersed throughout the colleges. This is happening. It happens from the top down but as talent becomes more abundant, it will filter down to more and more schools. The past dominance by UCONN is one reason for it.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Here’s the thing.

PAST: UCONN WBB like the U.S. Women’s soccer team were good for their sports because their excellence of play generated great interest by girls who then participated in the sports. This resulted, in part, to the increased parity we see today in college women’s hoops and Soccer. In soccer, it has also helped internationally as more countries are making a more serious commitment to their women’s programs in an effort to compete.

PRESENT: If UCONN wins the NC, it will be against teams that are their equal or very close to it. If UCONN played Baylor 4 times this year, it’s likely that each team would win 2 games. Stanford may be another example. Maybe SC. Regardless of the winner, these games are highly contested and generate interest and higher viewership. The fact that UCONN is severely challenged from the Elite Eight forward is good for the sport. Win or lose, UCONN being part of the top group of teams is not bad for the sport. No problem with rooting against them if that is what the haters are reduced to but their presence and excellence of play continues to a plus for the sport.

FUTURE: Based on their current roster and players who have committed to play for UCONN, they won’t be leaving “top-level” status anytime soon. But, as good as they are and possibly will be, there will be teams who have enough talent to beat them on any given night. The key here is the number of teams that we can put in that group. I’m optimistic, based on the overall level of play in this years tourney, that the number of teams with a legitimate shot at reaching the FF will continue to grow. That is good for the sport regardless of UCONN’s place in it. Parity is the result of increased talent being dispersed throughout the colleges. This is happening. It happens from the top down but as talent becomes more abundant, it will filter down to more and more schools. The past dominance by UCONN is one reason for it.
Jeeez, are we really the WCBB equivalent to the Damn Yankees. Does that make me the equivalent of a Yankees fan.
Oh, God what a horrible thought.
I need a whiskey, make that a quart of Knob Creek.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Jeeez, are we really the WCBB equivalent to the Damn Yankees. Does that make me the equivalent of a Yankees fan.
Lol, only from a certain perspective... Evil never thinks it's evil.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I love UConn and will be a die hard fan forever. It was said that the dreams of all teams is to make it to the final 4, with most of those dreams really pipe dreams. I'm sure that no matter who they are, any team must feel so deflated on selection day if they end up in UConns bracket. They know their dreams of making it to the final 4 are squashed before they even play. I have thought of that, and you know what. TOUGH TOENAILS!!!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I thought it was pretty clear that Voepel meant we shouldn’t have any team going to 13 straight FF’s again - UConn or anybody else. Not that UCONN doing it the first time was bad, but now there’s more parity and that trend should continue.
And luckily, Geno will not be going for 13 again either - he'll set his sights on 14! :cool:

Reaction Score

Lol, only from a certain perspective... Evil never thinks it's evil.
I’m a Yankee fan, so let me quote Sensei John Kreese (bad guy in Karate Kid) from this season’s Cobra Kai: “There is no good or evil - only weak and strong.”

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I’m a Yankee fan, so let me quote Sensei John Kreese (bad guy in Karate Kid) from this season’s Cobra Kai: “There is no good or evil - only weak and strong.”
D*mn Yankees fan, always with the snarky comebacks....... :D
So, do you embrace the Dark Side, Luke?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well, maybe a little bit of a hot take on my part... I'll admit that "shouldn't happen again" is not exactly "should end". Still, I think Michelle has made it clear that she's had enough UConn.
Poor Mechelle Voepel has been accused of hating UConn, hating Tennessee, hating So Carolina, Stanford, and Notre Dame, among other, because she discusses topical events from her view at that point in time. She writes columns with opinions; that’s what she does. Nowhere is it in her, or anyone else’s, contract that they need to fawn over UConn in every article.

Do we UConn fans really need to charge all over the Internet looking for something to interpret as being offensive? The program is bigger than that and we should be, too.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Poor Mechelle Voepel has been accused of hating UConn, hating Tennessee, hating So Carolina, Stanford, and Notre Dame, among other, because she discusses topical events from her view at that point in time. She writes columns with opinions; that’s what she does. Nowhere is it in her, or anyone else’s, contract that they need to fawn over UConn in every article.

Do we UConn fans really need to charge all over the Internet looking for something to interpret as being offensive? The program is bigger than that and we should be, too.
Not particularly offended.. just making note of an interesting opinion in an opinion piece. And 'poor' Mechelle Voepel? How many clicks do you suppose this thread has spawned?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not particularly offended.. just making note of an interesting pinion in an opinion piece. And 'poor' Mechelle Voepel? How many clicks do you suppose this thread has spawned?
Poor because she’s a good person that doesn’t hate any wcbb program. She’s been accused of it hundreds of times. I wouldn’t be surprised if she gets threats, either. I know I have and for less than writing an article for a major sports publication

Reaction Score
See you didn't know what you were missing

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Poor because she’s a good person that doesn’t hate any wcbb program. She’s been accused of it hundreds of times. I wouldn’t be surprised if she got threats, either. I know I have and for less than writing an article for a major sports publication
I don't believe I've said anything threatening or even angry about any sports writer ever. Anyone actually threatening anybody over a sports discussion should be banned if not prosecuted. That being said, disagreement is stock in trade for opinion writers. With all due respect and civility, of course.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score

Its funny, because over in Volnation they think ESPN and Voepel simply love UConn. All fans simply cannot be objective when it comes to their team. Its human nature, so lets just be adults, support your team, and forget about the other guys opinion. This is why they have sports talk, love them or not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom