MHOC 2017/2018 Season | The Boneyard

MHOC 2017/2018 Season

Reaction Score
This is such a disappointing incoming class and will rank at the bottom of the league.

I will assume from this class that Will Garin is no longer committed after an awful season in the USHL.

Did the coaching staff make no attempt to bring in Howarth or Evans for this season, especially after losing Timmons to injury and Thompson to the pros?

Howarth and Evans are already 20 years old and Howarth was picked in the 5th round of the draft. I do not understand where the coaching staff is coming from.

Even if there is a lack of scholarship availability, the staff needed to address the lack of offensive talent coming in.

Such a lackluster class.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Can we get that ice design at xl with the new ice system?

Reaction Score
This is such a disappointing incoming class and will rank at the bottom of the league.

I will assume from this class that Will Garin is no longer committed after an awful season in the USHL.

Did the coaching staff make no attempt to bring in Howarth or Evans for this season, especially after losing Timmons to injury and Thompson to the pros?

Howarth and Evans are already 20 years old and Howarth was picked in the 5th round of the draft. I do not understand where the coaching staff is coming from.

Even if there is a lack of scholarship availability, the staff needed to address the lack of offensive talent coming in.

Such a lackluster class.
Disappointing based on what metric? I assume you have seen these guys play numerous times. What are each players strengths and weaknesses.

Reaction Score
Disappointing based on what metric? I assume you have seen these guys play numerous times. What are each players strengths and weaknesses.
I think that there isn't one of these kids that can come right in and replace the scoring that is lost with Thompson moving on.

Reaction Score
I think that there isn't one of these kids that can come right in and replace the scoring that is lost with Thompson moving on.
No but you would be hard pressed to bring in someone to relaxed the BEST PLAYER IN UConn history!!

Reaction Score
No but you would be hard pressed to bring in someone to relaxed the BEST PLAYER IN UConn history!!
"Relaxed"...and if you meant replaced...that's what you do in recruiting...bring in kids to replace one's you have lost. And don't worry give it time..eventually Cav will bring in another kid that is as good or better than Tage Thompson.

Reaction Score
I feel ok about this team as long as Huska is in the net.

He will steal some games for us.

Reaction Score
"Relaxed"...and if you meant replaced...that's what you do in recruiting...bring in kids to replace one's you have lost. And don't worry give it time..eventually Cav will bring in another kid that is as good or better than Tage Thompson.
It's unfortunate that Tage Thompson was talked into leaving UConn early. Watching him play last year, I never really thought to myself "wow, this kid is dominating play in Hockey East". Don't get me wrong, he is a very good player, but I didn't think he was a dominate player in Hockey East. In my opinion he is not strong on the puck, his skating is average at best, and he tended to disappear for long stretches in games. I think he would have benefited from another year in Hockey East. It will be interesting to see how he makes out in the AHL this season.

Reaction Score
It's unfortunate that Tage Thompson was talked into leaving UConn early. Watching him play last year, I never really thought to myself "wow, this kid is dominating play in Hockey East". Don't get me wrong, he is a very good player, but I didn't think he was a dominate player in Hockey East. In my opinion he is not strong on the puck, his skating is average at best, and he tended to disappear for long stretches in games. I think he would have benefited from another year in Hockey East. It will be interesting to see how he makes out in the AHL this season.

I wish he stayed one more yr, but you take the chance and move up if you can.

2 goals and an assist in the playoffs is pretty dang good.

TheAHL.com

Reaction Score

If the 3 forwards in that group don't set the tone putting the puck in the net along with guys like Ronan it will be a LONG season. Letunov is at a crossroads in his development. He didn't make the Sharks's top 10 prospect list in the latest issue of THN, and they gigged him on his speed and skating ability in the ESPN rankings. If he has a really good season he can write his own ticket by staying next season and becoming a highly sought after FA like Jimmy Vesey did.

Reaction Score
Letunov is so overrated. Take Thompson made him look so much better than he actually is.

Reaction Score
Letunov is so overrated. Take Thompson made him look so much better than he actually is.
Thompson scored a LOT of goals off of 1 timers that Letunov fed him...you can VERY easily make the opposite argument.

Reaction Score
Seems to me that next year's class will make/break Cavs tenure here. If we're still in neutral as a program by the time the 2018 class graduates he could conceivably get canned. (my opinion, sure some people won't agree)

Reaction Score
Seems to me that next year's class will make/break Cavs tenure here. If we're still in neutral as a program by the time the 2018 class graduates he could conceivably get canned. (my opinion, sure some people won't agree)
If DB fires him after that then this program is gonna be worse than UMass...guy has zero facility to recruit to on campus. Until something gets done there (practice, 4500-5000 seat game facility..) he is fighting a uphill battle in reverse recruiting wise. Hockey isn't any different than any other sport these days for kids...show them the bling and they will come.

Reaction Score
If DB fires him after that then this program is gonna be worse than UMass...guy has zero facility to recruit to on campus. Until something gets done there (practice, 4500-5000 seat game facility..) he is fighting a uphill battle in reverse recruiting wise. Hockey isn't any different than any other sport these days for kids...show them the bling and they will come.

Totally agree with this. The development of on campus facilities is one of the most important parts of NCAA college athletic programs in attracting talent. UConn ice hockey is in dire need of a significant upgrade to its on campus practice and playing facility, as the players in the program spend a vast amount of their time there, even if they happen to play home games off campus once or twice a week for a few hours at a time. Without better facilities UConn will be away behind on the recruiting curve.

The same holds true for other UConn athletic facilities as well. I'm amazed that UConn baseball recruits as well as it does with a ballpark that has very little in the way of any amenities. As for soccer, I really expect that men's soccer recruiting will get a definite pick up once the new soccer stadium comes on line, as Morrone is quite antiquated.

Reaction Score
I get the facilities angle but at the end of the day, Cav hasn't even gotten UConn hockey to the point where we can beat teams like AIC, SHU, etc regularly and he clearly has a more talented team to work with.

Other coaches are doing more with less.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom