Mets "hot" stove | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mets "hot" stove

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Mets fans last year: "THEY NEVER SPEND ANY MONEY!!!!!!"

Mets fans now: "THAT'S TOO MUCH MONEY"!!!!!!!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Dooley

Reaction Score
Mets fans last year: "THEY NEVER SPEND ANY MONEY!!!!!!"

Mets fans now: "THAT'S TOO MUCH MONEY"!!!!!!!

It's got to be soooooooo frustrating because both of these "quotes" are spot on. I guess you can morph the tones of these two into one: "The Mets never spend any (smart) money".

Curiouser
Reaction Score
"The Mets never spend any (smart) money".
Yes, that's the point. They rarely spend wisely. If this deal won't limit what they'll spend to fill the remaining holes and also re-sign deGrom next year, I don't care about the money.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Yes, that's the point. They rarely spend wisely. If this deal won't limit what they'll spend to fill the remaining holes and also re-sign deGrom next year, I don't care about the money.

Agree. I don't know why paying Cano $20M/yr for his ages 36-41 seasons became a priority over paying those same or similar dollars to keep deGrom.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Agree. I don't know why paying Cano $20M/yr for his ages 36-41 seasons became a priority over paying those same or similar dollars to keep deGrom.

They should be selling high on deform or at least be ready to sell at the as break.

Mets are just always stuck in neutral

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Because they had to "make a move".

the Q

Reaction Score
Because they had to "make a move".

yeah, that's basically it.

I would've used that Cano money on Grandal.

But that's just me.

Reaction Score
Wake up this morning to hear buzz around a Thor to Yanks 3 way deal. Awesome. Why make the Cano/Diaz deal, then move a 26 yr old under contract that throws 101 all game?

Not sure what the Mets/BVW fascination is with JT Realmuto either.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Wake up this morning to hear buzz around a Thor to Yanks 3 way deal. Awesome. Why make the Cano/Diaz deal, then move a 26 yr old under contract that throws 101 all game?

Not sure what the Mets/BVW fascination is with JT Realmuto either.
This is the first I'm hearing of this, but I am okay with trading Thor for the right offer, and catcher has been a huge weakness of ours for a while. As hard as he throws, I can't see Thor avoiding the need for TJ surgery within the next few years. The best thing about deGrom is that he's already had it. With our luck we would pony up to re-sign Thor and then he would need the surgery, putting him out of commission for the better part of two seasons.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Good signing for the Mets. Just need a LHP for the pen and all of a sudden, the end game is very solid.

Need more bats but still obviously plenty of time before spring training.

the Q

Reaction Score
Can’t complain about that price for familia.

Now get a real cf and c help.

the Q

Reaction Score
I will say while the Cano deal wasn’t bad, there were way more efficient ways to make the Mets better.

Just dumping Frazier and non tendering darnaud gets you a good portion of the way to a grandal contract.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
If Plawecki and D’Arnaud are on this team come spring training........Bad

Reaction Score
Even better, it’s 2/17.5 with a 10 mil club option or 1.5 buyout. This should be great value.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Looks like the Marlins significantly overplayed their hand. I like this move for the Mets far more than any potential move to trade Rosario/Conforto/Thor to land Realmuto. That's an extremely club friendly deal; Ramos is really good.

the Q

Reaction Score
Looks like the Marlins significantly overplayed their hand. I like this move for the Mets far more than any potential move to trade Rosario/Conforto/Thor to land Realmuto. That's an extremely club friendly deal; Ramos is really good.

Someone is going to run out of spots at the table. But having Ramos and Grandal out there didn’t help.

I still think the Sox should sign Grandal and trade some of the other catching for bullpen or 2b help (not counting on pedroia at all)

Reaction Score
BVW is proving to be no joke so far. Wow. Upgrades everywhere with deGrom, Thor, Conforto and Rosario still on the roster.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah I like this move a lot; I just hope he can avoid the injury bug.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Someone is going to run out of spots at the table. But having Ramos and Grandal out there didn’t help.

I still think the Sox should sign Grandal and trade some of the other catching for bullpen or 2b help (not counting on pedroia at all)

Agree. Grandal might find a sluggish market given just how many catchers are/were available out there. He comes with a loss of draft pick and $500K International money. Ramos was "free" and the Mets also got very good club friendly terms. If he stays healthy, it's a steal.

Aside: this is the type of stuff that the next CBA needs to clean up. Teams are already penny pinching to find surplus value in all of their contracts on the books. Losing a draft pick and/or international slot money makes it nearly impossible for guys like Grandal and many other "non-Machado/Harper" free agents to find a deal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom