Message from Youssouf Singare | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Message from Youssouf Singare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm in the split minutes camp when Clingan is out. I think both Singare and Johnson will get the opportunity to show what they can do, primarily because they both have shortcomings, so I don't see either one earning a spot at the expense of the other's minutes. We will likely need all 10 fouls.

I'm a Singare believer. I think he can effectively rebound and block shots from day 1. I think those two skills will get him minutes. Will he rotate correctly on defense / offense? That may result in more bench minutes. Will he foul when a strong player tries to back him down? Likely. Will he get fouled and miss the free throws? Likely. Singare's AAU team was on defense up by 1 point with 20-30sec to play. Singare had a determined face and stance like he was going to devour anything that came his way. It was the equivalent of a guard on defense pounding the floor to say 'bring it on'. Complete determination to enforce his will. He altered the shot and commanded the rebound to win. His play and determination to win in that situation sold me, and is consistent with his attitude in the quote that started this thread.

To me, the limited minutes we have seen from Samson seem very mechanical as to where he should be. It seems to me he is a half second slow reacting to everything because on defense he needs to think about what he is supposed to do, and where he is supposed to be. The scheme doesn't appear to come natural. His advantage at the 5, is stepping outside to provide offense that needs to be respected by another big who will have to leave the paint. Hurley has said he expects some minutes at the 4 with Johnson, and at times Karaban to the 3, so they might both play with a center.

I doubt the minutes end up getting a split barring injury or foul trouble, but I don't think anyone outside of our coaching staff (and probably not even them yet) knows who is going to earn those minutes. Johnson hasn't shown he's a basketball player yet, but Singare hasn't either. High school is a very different animal and the adjustment for bigs is harder than any other position.

Whoever can defend will play. Assuming Newton returns, it feels to me like backup 5 is probably our one big area of weakness.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Haven’t seen anything but “raw” from Samson at any point as well. It will be interesting for sure.
Honestly, I thought Samson looked like a player in his brief stretch early this year.

Reaction Score
I think Singare will be a quality player at the 5 long term, but it seems too much to expect to be up to the task against teams like North Carolina and Kansas early in a freshman year. As I said in other threads, I think the team could use a 240lb PF/C on the roster for certain defensive matchups when Clingan is out, even more than a shooter. (I still want Gavin Griffiths when he transfers from Rutgers some day)

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm in the split minutes camp when Clingan is out. I think both Singare and Johnson will get the opportunity to show what they can do, primarily because they both have shortcomings, so I don't see either one earning a spot at the expense of the other's minutes. We will likely need all 10 fouls.

I'm a Singare believer. I think he can effectively rebound and block shots from day 1. I think those two skills will get him minutes. Will he rotate correctly on defense / offense? That may result in more bench minutes. Will he foul when a strong player tries to back him down? Likely. Will he get fouled and miss the free throws? Likely. Singare's AAU team was on defense up by 1 point with 20-30sec to play. Singare had a determined face and stance like he was going to devour anything that came his way. It was the equivalent of a guard on defense pounding the floor to say 'bring it on'. Complete determination to enforce his will. He altered the shot and commanded the rebound to win. His play and determination to win in that situation sold me, and is consistent with his attitude in the quote that started this thread.

To me, the limited minutes we have seen from Samson seem very mechanical as to where he should be. It seems to me he is a half second slow reacting to everything because on defense he needs to think about what he is supposed to do, and where he is supposed to be. The scheme doesn't appear to come natural. His advantage at the 5, is stepping outside to provide offense that needs to be respected by another big who will have to leave the paint. Hurley has said he expects some minutes at the 4 with Johnson, and at times Karaban to the 3, so they might both play with a center.
Agreed with everything here.

FWIW, I think Samson looks mechanical simply because he hasn’t had the playing time to get his feet under him which is important in basketball. It’s tough going out there without consistent minutes and playing freely. I hope he can put it together though because the talent does seem there. It’s a comfort thing at this point and it’s hard for anyone to go pretty much two years without playing much basketball.

Reaction Score
Agreed with everything here.

FWIW, I think Samson looks mechanical simply because he hasn’t had the playing time to get his feet under him which is important in basketball. It’s tough going out there without consistent minutes and playing freely. I hope he can put it together though because the talent does seem there. It’s a comfort thing at this point and it’s hard for anyone to go pretty much two years without playing much basketball.
His body didn't look like it transformed year over year either. Hope he can fully participate in practice and strength conditioning.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Is that something masquerading as a joke?

Are you an AI masquerading as an human?

Yeah, it's a joke. LMK if you need me to walk you through it.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Yea putting a target on your back when you likely won’t make the rotation is not intelligent.

Reaction Score
Are you an AI masquerading as an human?

Yeah, it's a joke. LMK if you need me to walk you through it.
Nope... Completely human.

Suggest that you stick to your day job rather than stand-up comedy!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Nope... Completely human.

Suggest that you stick to your day job rather than stand-up comedy!

Weird for you to out yourself as an @-hole over a mildly funny joke that a few people clearly found amusing.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Weird for you to out yourself as an @-hole over a mildly funny joke that a few people clearly found amusing.

@BigErnMcCracken @nomar thinks that @alphasigko just outed himself.

Pop Corn GIF by WWE

Reaction Score
Haven’t seen anything but “raw” from Samson at any point as well. It will be interesting for sure.
Kind of hard to view a 3rd year player as raw....but we haven't seen much

Reaction Score
I think Singare is going to get minutes right away..he's a pure center…he is very much underrated..he’s a little thin but strong.. he’s not going to get pushed around.. his offense is going to be dunks.. defense is going to be blocked shots and rebounds I think Samson will play some center and power forward… there will be more minutes for backup centers then last year

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Singare looks like a more polished 7 footer than Birman did at this stage of his development. I think he will have an impact defensively. I am just hoping DC has more of an offensive game next year. When they moved AS away from the basket on more of their sets they got better movement. I think DC will be up for the challenge. I do not see Hurley playing the together.

Reaction Score
Singare looks like a more polished 7 footer than Birman did at this stage of his development. I think he will have an impact defensively.

Singare will get minutes based on his defense. It's pretty difficult to project bigs defense, especially when none of us have seen full games. Many 7-footers can block shots. The difference between being tall and being a ball player is getting in the film room and learning advanced defensive schemes. Hurley is very demanding on that end of the floor intellectually, especially for bigs.

Reaction Score
Singare will get minutes based on his defense. It's pretty difficult to project bigs defense, especially when none of us have seen full games. Many 7-footers can block shots. The difference between being tall and being a ball player is getting in the film room and learning advanced defensive schemes. Hurley is very demanding on that end of the floor intellectually, especially for bigs.

Brimah would've blocked 200 a year if he really learned where he needed to be on that end. Problem is, he was fine and did some good things but he was never a natural at the game. Hopefully this kid understands the game a lot better because he looks to be a similar type of player/athlete - stronger though.

Reaction Score
His experience battling Sanogo/Don/Alex/Whaley in practice is still more than Singare in that high school league. I’d say it’s an upset if junior Samson loses his center minutes to a true freshman rated outside the top 110. But if he does, it probably means Singare is a real talent. Win/win.

I mean when he’s had chances he has looked “raw” not very natural at anything really. Small sample size granted but you want him to come in and make you say “yeah there’s something there no doubt” but not so thus far. One can only hope for the team and for the kid because he seems like a great kid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom