Message from Youssouf Singare | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Message from Youssouf Singare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
DEFENSE will determine Singare's minutes. Which is pretty true of almost any player under Hurley. Early in his career any scoring will be gravy. If he can play defense and rebound he's definitely getting on the court.

Reaction Score
He’s very thin, a problem alot of our players have had, so we’ll see how he plays against muscle in the BE, and he has to defend. That’s my only concerns but athletically he looks gifted.

Reaction Score
He’s very thin, a problem alot of our players have had, so we’ll see how he plays against muscle in the BE, and he has to defend. That’s my only concerns but athletically he looks gifted.
I’d love to see him, AK, and DC put on 10-15 pounds of muscle and add strength.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Ross sky rocketed!!! I called it. Saw that kid play and was wondering what i was missing because he did not look like top 130 to me. He looked like a top 75ish to me.
Proud Saved By The Bell GIF

Reaction Score
Whatever he brings on day 1 there is no doubt he is in the right place. What the staff did with Sanogo and Clingan (and even Whaley) in such a short time should be incentive to stay with the process. I believe Samson sees it and I think we'll see some good from him this year. Watching this staff develop guys is fun as ***k

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The kid is aggressive - not sure of the competition seen on the tapes. He has the athleticism. Lets see if he can do it against older, more physical players he will see in college ball. Didn't see anything pointing to it but does he have a midrange?
Having that midrange is important in your 4s and 5s. To me, that was the biggest mistake that AS and the UConn staff made - AS had no midrange game at all which would have made him much more rounded and appealing to the NBA people. I hope DH and staff realize this and starts working on DC in this area as well as any new bigs they bring into the program. Making a 3 point shot should be down the list for these position players.
I did like what I saw on film of YS. The incoming class looks great on paper.

Reaction Score
It's very possible that Adama keeps in touch with him and helps to influence him, both being from Mali. Working hard everyday, keeping your eyes on your goals; Adama earned his way into this draft.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I appreciate his confidence. It's great to see a guy who has a bit of a chip and will put in the work to be as good as he can be. Lots of potential there.

Reaction Score
Big question mark for minutes is DCs ability to keep his hands to himself and stay out of foul trouble.
This. I am of the opinion that UConn's success next year will depend on how fractionally close we come to replacing Sanogo. DC can do a lot to help with the "no-Sanogo" situation, assuming he can stay out of foul trouble.

Reaction Score
This. I am of the opinion that UConn's success next year will depend on how fractionally close we come to replacing Sanogo. DC can do a lot to help with the "no-Sanogo" situation, assuming he can stay out of foul trouble.
17.2 ppg to "replace". Fair to assume Clingan averages about 15 or so next year. Thats 8 points, Karaban up to 13 or so is 4 points. Fair to assume we can get the other 5.2 ppg out of Johnson/Singare?

Reaction Score
What’s the point in splitting the backup 5 minutes? Shouldn’t we just play whoever’s better? I also doubt Hurley kept Samson from using his free transfer without promising him some kind of real rotation role(more than 10 minutes per me thinks).
Because we need a back up 4. However it shakes out I think Singaire will play

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Because we need a back up 4. However it shakes out I think Singaire will play
I kinda imagine a 3 man rotation of Samson/Alex/Don at the 4/5. That’s probably 20+ minutes for each guy, which explains nobody transferring. It’d be nice if Singare could push Samson out of the backup 5 spot, but he seems very raw.

Reaction Score
17.2 ppg to "replace". Fair to assume Clingan averages about 15 or so next year. Thats 8 points, Karaban up to 13 or so is 4 points. Fair to assume we can get the other 5.2 ppg out of Johnson/Singare?
The math may work out, but I don't think it is a math problem. Let's put it another way: Clingan is stat for stat replacement for Sanogo at the 5. Do you think Johnson/Singare are stat for stat replacement ( not to mention intangible defensive presence ) for Clingan off the bench? I don't. Clingan will give us Clingan things. I hope Johnson/Singare can give us Sanogo things. Foul trouble will become much more significant an issue this coming season. Hope I am wrong.

Reaction Score
I kinda imagine a 3 man rotation of Samson/Alex/Don at the 4/5. That’s probably 20+ minutes for each guy, which explains nobody transferring. It’d be nice if Singare could push Samson out of the backup 5 spot, but he seems very raw.

Haven’t seen anything but “raw” from Samson at any point as well. It will be interesting for sure.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Haven’t seen anything but “raw” from Samson at any point as well. It will be interesting for sure.
His experience battling Sanogo/Don/Alex/Whaley in practice is still more than Singare in that high school league. I’d say it’s an upset if junior Samson loses his center minutes to a true freshman rated outside the top 110. But if he does, it probably means Singare is a real talent. Win/win.

Reaction Score
I'm in the split minutes camp when Clingan is out. I think both Singare and Johnson will get the opportunity to show what they can do, primarily because they both have shortcomings, so I don't see either one earning a spot at the expense of the other's minutes. We will likely need all 10 fouls.

I'm a Singare believer. I think he can effectively rebound and block shots from day 1. I think those two skills will get him minutes. Will he rotate correctly on defense / offense? That may result in more bench minutes. Will he foul when a strong player tries to back him down? Likely. Will he get fouled and miss the free throws? Likely. Singare's AAU team was on defense up by 1 point with 20-30sec to play. Singare had a determined face and stance like he was going to devour anything that came his way. It was the equivalent of a guard on defense pounding the floor to say 'bring it on'. Complete determination to enforce his will. He altered the shot and commanded the rebound to win. His play and determination to win in that situation sold me, and is consistent with his attitude in the quote that started this thread.

To me, the limited minutes we have seen from Samson seem very mechanical as to where he should be. It seems to me he is a half second slow reacting to everything because on defense he needs to think about what he is supposed to do, and where he is supposed to be. The scheme doesn't appear to come natural. His advantage at the 5, is stepping outside to provide offense that needs to be respected by another big who will have to leave the paint. Hurley has said he expects some minutes at the 4 with Johnson, and at times Karaban to the 3, so they might both play with a center.

Reaction Score
IMO.. Singare/Samson minutes will be impacted by DC's efficiency/foul trouble/conditioning.. Sanogo was in excellent shape and obviously had a different body style than DC.. At times last season..It seemed like DC was laboring as the game sped up. If DH goes small ball (except for the 5 spot) on occasion.. I could see where the flexibility of our 4/5 rotations can/could buy DC a few minutes of rest/hydration on the bench when needed. PT for DC is there.. But he's still growing into his body.. Conditioning is catching up to his agility/coordination.

We should know in next 20 days what roster looks like --for returnees-- and whether a portal add at the 4/5 spot for depth is needed per staff and their roster construction. Shooters/shot making continues to be priority number one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom