Mercury vs Lynx Game 2 on ABC at 3:30pm est | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mercury vs Lynx Game 2 on ABC at 3:30pm est

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I felt like Phoenix had some poor coaching down the stretch. The shot by Dupree was a good shot but the lane was cleared to the point that there was no other Phoenix player within 15 feet of the rim for a rebound.

Actually, it was excellent coaching down the stretch by Coach Brondello. It appeared that the play was set up for Dupree to get the ball in isolation in hopes of drawing a double team to kick it out to a three point shooter. Minnesota, obviously aware and battling every constantly drilled instinct to provide help, stayed home on the three point shooters. However, Maya, whose tendency to overachieve drives me nuts sometimes, almost bit; Almost dropped inside to help. And she was guarding Diana Taurasi. Had Maya leaned in just a tad more, the game would have been tied at 78.

Seimone Augustus' three point play at around 23 seconds was very well defended by Phoenix. The window in which Seimone caught the pass and shot was the only window of opportunity for that shot. Perfect execution. Taylor switched to Maya when Maya came off of Augustus' screen. Dupree ran out at Maya when Maya came off of McCarville's screen, then recovered when she realized where the play was going. Bonner, a step behind after the switch on to Augustus almost made up the ground and was still able to contest the shot. Had Whelan delivered the pass a step or two deeper, Taurasi would have been there to provide help. Again, perfectly executed by Minnesota because that play was very well defended.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well afterall, she IS the Ballhog Chick....

Phoenix does not need ANY player taking more three point shots than Griner takes total shots. That is not how they are going to beat Minnesota. They are going to beat Minnesota by beating them in the paint and playing solid defense on the perimeter.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Actually, it was excellent coaching down the stretch by Coach Brondello. It appeared that the play was set up for Dupree to get the ball in isolation in hopes of drawing a double team to kick it out to a three point shooter. Minnesota, obviously aware and battling every constantly drilled instinct to provide help, stayed home on the three point shooters. However, Maya, whose tendency to overachieve drives me nuts sometimes, almost bit; Almost dropped inside to help. And she was guarding Diana Taurasi. Had Maya leaned in just a tad more, the game would have been tied at 78.

Seimone Augustus' three point play at around 23 seconds was very well defended by Phoenix. The window in which Seimone caught the pass and shot was the only window of opportunity for that shot. Perfect execution. Taylor switched to Maya when Maya came off of Augustus' screen. Dupree ran out at Maya when Maya came off of McCarville's screen, then recovered when she realized where the play was going. Bonner, a step behind after the switch on to Augustus almost made up the ground and was still able to contest the shot. Had Whelan delivered the pass a step or two deeper, Taurasi would have been there to provide help. Again, perfectly executed by Minnesota because that play was very well defended.

By "down the stretch" I didn't mean the last play or two. And what else was Minny going to do? They were up two possessions so of course if a team clears out the lane you are just going to hang out and defend the three and give up a one-on-on play in the lane. You simply cannot draw up a play at that point that may result in a missed shot with no other players in the lane to grab a possible rebound. Had it been "excellent" it would have had a much better result.

Reaction Score
Phoenix does not need ANY player taking more three point shots than Griner takes total shots. That is not how they are going to beat Minnesota. They are going to beat Minnesota by beating them in the paint and playing solid defense on the perimeter.
OK OK - agree :)

IMO it's up to Griner. If she's dialed in and gets open and demands the ball, DT will get it to her.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
OK OK - agree :)

IMO it's up to Griner. If she's dialed in and gets open and demands the ball, DT will get it to her.

It's hard to "get open" when someone shoots before you have even gotten down the court.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Good point. Hopefully BG & BHC are reading this as game prep

Hopefully the game plan involves fewer quick-trigger shots and a bit more of a patient offense that values shots in the paint.

I love DT, but her decision making when it came to shot selection left a lot to be desired in game 2.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
It's interesting: When the shots fall its "hooray for the shooter" and when the shots aren't falling it's "I hope they don't have such a quick trigger and get the ball into Griner", especially if the game is a loss, never mind that the game is against a very very good team with the WNBA player of the year in the starting lineup, and never mind that the player with the "quick trigger" was the second runner up to the WNBA player of the year....

oh never mind...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It's interesting: When the shots fall its "hooray for the shooter" and when the shots aren't falling it's "I hope they don't have such a quick trigger and get the ball into Griner", especially if the game is a loss, never mind that the game is against a very very good team with the WNBA player of the year in the starting lineup.

Hey, I think the ball always should go to Griner, so you can't be talking about me... ;)

I bet you my bottom dollar that in game three Phoenix has a lot more focus on getting the ball to BG and that DT won't take 15 more shots than Griner. The Mercury could have finished off Minnesota in two games had they not jacked up so many long range shots early in the shot clock. The shot selection in game 2 was the exact same way that Phoenix played last year, when things didn't turn out so well.

Last edited:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
and on it goes....I'm done here.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
It's really a shame that this is only gonna be a best-of-three series.

This is the highest level of women's hoops, and both teams are just a joy to watch. Three games just isn't enough to decide a victor.

It's REALLY a shame that this isn't on a main ESPN channel. There are no words....

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
You are very welcome. I will not be able to see the Tuesday game - unless it is at 10 pm which I am hoping. Still, I will miss some of it. It was fun to watch. You should never underestimate great teams who have a bad game. they will fight back for sure, and they certainly did today.

Good news zorro - I will be here for the entire game. Can't wait. Gonna watch game 2 again now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom