Mercury vs Lynx Game 2 on ABC at 3:30pm est | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mercury vs Lynx Game 2 on ABC at 3:30pm est

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Wish I could see it. About all we have down here is futbol, futbol and more futbol. Sometimes tenis or beisbol. I don't think women's bball is much of a sell in Guate.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I missed the game, but felt the excitement from reading RLady's posts. Thanks a lot! That was great.

Reaction Score
Think if Griner engages on offense like she did Friday, and in the very beginning of today's game, then the Merc will win Tuesday. If she doesn't then the Merc MIGHT win Tuesday. If Maya goes off, and Griner is absent on offense, then the Lynx will win. I'm going to the game - almost like a UCONN game!

Reaction Score
Just loved the game. Fabulous. But I would never bet against DT if it's a must win game. Nonetheless, I hope the Lynx win on Tuesday.

Reaction Score
A really great game! This is the WNBA Finals, whoever comes out of the East will get pummeled! The refs again proved they have no freaking clue! The worst refs of any sport in the world, are WBB refs! The refs calls should not have a say in who'll win the game and more and more they make calls that could determine the outcome! The frustration on the part of the coaches and players were boiling over! Lindsay Whalen just stared down a ref for over 30 seconds going into a time out! Brunson and Wright have to have more offense than they had today when they play game 3 in PHX.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
The worst refs of any sport in the world, are WBB refs!

I know several NBA players who would disagree! And, if you want really bad, take a look at FIFA! But that's nothing compared to the frustration NFL players and coaches endure!

Reaction Score
The worst refs of any sport in the world, are WBB refs!

I know several NBA players who would disagree! And, if you want really bad, take a look at FIFA! But that's nothing compared to the frustration NFL players and coaches endure!
OK - then baseball umpires must be the best!

Seriously (well...), isn't the secret just to charm the officials? (Like DT does :)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
OK - then baseball umpires must be the best!

Seriously (well...), isn't the secret just to charm the officials? (Like DT does :)
rumor has it she got T'ed up in game 2

Reaction Score
It's really a shame that this is only gonna be a best-of-three series.

This is the highest level of women's hoops, and both teams are just a joy to watch. Three games just isn't enough to decide a victor.

Reaction Score
That's why I call this THE FINALS! Who ever comes out of the East will get killed by either MN or PHX!

Reaction Score
Yeah I agree with others here; great game. I really loved the "Euro" step by Penny Taylor in the 2nd quarter. The intensity of this game was unreal. The budding rivalry between these two teams is great for the league.

Reaction Score
That's why I call this THE FINALS! Who ever comes out of the East will get killed by either MN or PHX!
While I do agree that whoever wins will probably sweep Chicago/Indiana; it was just 2 years ago that everyone thought Minnesota (as defending champions) would sweep Indiana. Instead, Indiana dominated the series and took the championship home. It only takes a few players to play out of this world for a few games.

Reaction Score
What a great game. great great game. Mayy - wow great bounc back!!

Reaction Score
So what happened on Phoenix's last offensive series(not the last shot)? It looked disjointed and ended with a shot with nobody ready for an offensive rebound. Broken play? Unexpected or great defense? Or?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
FairView said:
I missed the game, but felt the excitement from reading RLady's posts. Thanks a lot! That was great.

You are very welcome. I love doing this actually, and wish I could be here for game 3. Maybe someone will step in...

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
OldAlum said:
So what happened on Phoenix's last offensive series(not the last shot)? It looked disjointed and ended with a shot with nobody ready for an offensive rebound. Broken play? Unexpected or great defense? Or?

Only the shadow knows lol maybe they'll run it again in game 3

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I felt like Phoenix had some poor coaching down the stretch. The shot by Dupree was a good shot but the lane was cleared to the point that there was no other Phoenix player within 15 feet of the rim for a rebound.

DT shot way too much, as she did the last time that Phoenix played in Minnesota, and lost. Once again, quick three pointers without a single pass in the offense. Phoenix has a clear advantage at one position, which is the center position, yet they only got BG 8 shots. They cannot afford to have another player taking 15 more shots than Griner.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Griner has to hit the freaking boards. There is no excuse for 4 other teammates, including reserve PG Erin Phillips, having more rebounds than she has. BG was tied with Whalen and Augustus as the 8th leading rebounder in the game. Someone on the coaching staff needs to get in her ass for that. But what I have seen in Griner's career is that when she is involved offensively, she rebounds more. When she does not get looks at the basket, she can lose focus. Not a good quality, but a pattern I have observed for most of her career.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
easttexastrash said:
Griner has to hit the freaking boards. There is no excuse for 4 other teammates, including reserve PG Erin Phillips, having more rebounds than she has. BG was tied with Whalen and Augustus as the 8th leading rebounder in the game. Someone on the coaching staff needs to get in her ass for that. But what I have seen in Griner's career is that when she is involved offensively, she rebounds more. When she does not get looks at the basket, she can lose focus. Not a good quality, but a pattern I have observed for most of her career.

Nowwww... where have I heard something similar to this before today...? Quite possibly worded with a little more attention to political correctness...

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
easttexastrash said:
I felt like Phoenix had some poor coaching down the stretch. The shot by Dupree was a good shot but the lane was cleared to the point that there was no other Phoenix player within 15 feet of the rim for a rebound.

DT shot way too much, as she did the last time that Phoenix played in Minnesota, and lost. Once again, quick three pointers without a single pass in the offense. Phoenix has a clear advantage at one position, which is the center position, yet they only got BG 8 shots. They cannot afford to have another player taking 15 more shots than Griner.

Poor coaching? we cannot know what plays were drawn up by the coach of the year nor do we know how the suffocating defense of the Lynx played into disrupting those plays. During the game I observed more often than not Maya's absolutely pesky defense on Diana.
Diana is an amazing shooter and shooters shoot. They don't think about the shots behind them that didn't go in, they look to make the next play, and same goes with Dupree who had the hot hand for almost the entire game.

It was a hotly contested game, and the Lynx being one of the best teams in the league were not going to fold a second time. Perhaps "fold" is a bad descriptor: they were not going to have another bad game, and anybody who thought so was in error. Sometimes in games this competitive it all boils down to who can pull out the win circumstances notwithstanding. Personally I didn't care who won because I like both teams very much particularly because they have two of my most favorite players of all time who happened to be from UConn.

And I am really really excited and pleased but this is gone to a third game cuz I get to watch these two great teams play again.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
And I am really really excited and pleased but this is gone to a third game cuz I get to watch these two great teams play again.

You and me both! I hated to see Phoenix lose but it is fitting that the fans get to see a game 3. I expect a very physical game.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Poor coaching? we cannot know what plays were drawn up by the coach of the year nor do we know how the suffocating defense of the Lynx played into disrupting those plays. During the game I observed more often than not Maya's absolutely pesky defense on Diana.
Diana is an amazing shooter and shooters shoot. They don't think about the shots behind them that didn't go in, they look to make the next play, and same goes with Dupree who had the hot hand for almost the entire game.

It was a hotly contested game, and the Lynx being one of the best teams in the league were not going to fold a second time. Perhaps "fold" is a bad descriptor: they were not going to have another bad game, and anybody who thought so was in error. Sometimes in games this competitive it all boils down to who can pull out the win circumstances notwithstanding. Personally I didn't care who won because I like both teams very much particularly because they have two of my most favorite players of all time who happened to be from UConn.

DT is a very good shooter, but she has to realize that the TEAM has an advantage somewhere else on the floor and use that advantage accordingly. I am not saying that she should quit shooting, but being a bit more selective would be advisable. She is shooting less than 12% from three point range in this series so jacking up a lot of three point shots without working for a higher percentage shot is just not playing team ball.

Reaction Score
DT is a very good shooter, but she has to realize that the TEAM has an advantage somewhere else on the floor and use that advantage accordingly. I am not saying that she should quit shooting, but being a bit more selective would be advisable. She is shooting less than 12% from three point range in this series so jacking up a lot of three point shots without working for a higher percentage shot is just not playing team ball.
Well afterall, she IS the Ballhog Chick....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom