mercedes russell | Page 2 | The Boneyard

mercedes russell

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
make-it-stop.jpg

A lot of really good players want to do their own thing and "slack off" when they want to apparently. Whatever.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
A lot of really good players want to do their own thing and "slack off" when they want to apparently. Whatever.

Just because DD said that she feels that she thinks that UNC allows her to be herself on and off the court does not mean that she intends to "slack off." It is a bit insulting to this young girl to imply otherwise. Until you see her in a UNC uniform maybe judgements about her discipline and work ethic should be withheld. Had she chosen UCONN I am sure that she would be regarded as the hardest working girl in high school basketball.

I doubt very seriously if Geno would have been pursuing DD and Mavunga if he thought that they were slackers.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
S

You do realize the girls who already announced have all taken visits to UNC, right? It's not like they were throwing darts in the dark. Their decisions were not based on some sort of in-the-moment hysteria, as some here might believe. They did their homework and then decided they wanted to go to UNC together.

In an era in which players wait until the final second to give verbals so that they can increase demand for them, isn't it kind of nice that we have a few girls who place basketball and friendship ahead of attention and ego.
???

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I'm at a loss too, Ice. I've done nothing but support these girls and Hatchell throughout this process. Of all people to big snippy with, I'm the least likely candidate.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Mercedes is spending the month of June (according to tweets) with Mavunga. My guess is taking an unofficial to UNC from there (Indiana) is more doable than from Oregon. Though, I agree with a former poster, that perhaps she is ready to pull the trigger. Otherwise, why not wait and just take the officials on the university's dime once the new school year has begun?

The thing that keeps popping for me is Mercedes' consistent statement that she wants to play in front of huge crowds. That being the case, of the schools that she is/was still considering, that would be Louisville, TN and Notre Dame.
I wish her luck in her decision. I do not envy these kids and their decisions. Recruiting is big business on the part of the schools, I can not even begin to imagine the pressure these kids must feel at such young ages.

I do have a glimmer of hope that Mercedes is not sold on UNC and in fact may take her bestie with her wherever SHE is sold on, or, just make the decision with no regard to what her best friend is doing that is the best fit for her. As a Louisville fan, I would hope to us. Time will tell. Lord knows we need a dominant center. Mercedes definitely fits that bill with us.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Mercedes is spending the month of June (according to tweets) with Mavunga. My guess is taking an unofficial to UNC from there (Indiana) is more doable than from Oregon. Though, I agree with a former poster, that perhaps she is ready to pull the trigger. Otherwise, why not wait and just take the officials on the university's dime once the new school year has begun?

The thing that keeps popping for me is Mercedes' consistent statement that she wants to play in front of huge crowds. That being the case, of the schools that she is/was still considering, that would be Louisville, TN and Notre Dame.
I wish her luck in her decision. I do not envy these kids and their decisions. Recruiting is big business on the part of the schools, I can not even begin to imagine the pressure these kids must feel at such young ages.

I do have a glimmer of hope that Mercedes is not sold on UNC and in fact may take her bestie with her wherever SHE is sold on, or, just make the decision with no regard to what her best friend is doing that is the best fit for her. As a Louisville fan, I would hope to us. Time will tell. Lord knows we need a dominant center. Mercedes definitely fits that bill with us.
i'm guessing she has a great relationship with your new(ish) lead recruiter assistant coach. interestingly, Williams (and Walz) are going up against Stafford-Odom (and Hatchell).

i really believe Walz is the better coach, but sometimes it's hard to recruit against great friendships. i'm sure Tennessee is all over her as well since i think desperation is setting in for them in this class. they can't afford to lose out on Russell, Davis, Greenwell and Tucker. they need at least 1 or 2 of them... i have a hard time seeing Russell going anywhere besides L'ville or UNC but time will tell. i still hope you guys get Russell and Greenwell. that would be a great class for Jeff...

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Just because DD said that she feels that she thinks that UNC allows her to be herself on and off the court does not mean that she intends to "slack off." It is a bit insulting to this young girl to imply otherwise. Until you see her in a UNC uniform maybe judgements about her discipline and work ethic should be withheld. Had she chosen UCONN I am sure that she would be regarded as the hardest working girl in high school basketball.

Don't know about that, but those who do go to UConn have no choice but to be among the hardest working players in college basketball, whatever they did in HS.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Am I wrong to hope for either 125 degree weather in North Carolina during Russell's visit to Chapel Hill ?? :rolleyes: Or better yet.... -27 degree weather

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Am I wrong to hope for either 125 degree weather in North Carolina during Russell's visit to Chapel Hill ?? :rolleyes: Or better yet.... -27 degree weather

Isn't Duke on her list of schools? Maybe she'll make the trip a two-fer and head up tobacco road to Durham for a visit?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Don't know about that, but those who do go to UConn have no choice but to be among the hardest working players in college basketball, whatever they did in HS.

I agree that UCONN players must work hard, as players must do at many universities. I doubt that Mulkey, Tara or Muffett expect any less. Hard work is not unique to UCONN. But to indicate that she will "slack off" in college just because she chose UNC is unfounded and unwarranted.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Being a UConn fan we are set. What anybody else does is fine with me and I wish them the best, because I dont see UConn losing a game for a long time. I would love to have DD, Mavunga and Mercedes at UConn. They choose not to come for what ever reason. One thing I am very confident about. UConn has a lock on the FF for the next 4 years, barring injuries.

IMO with whats going on at UNC is not good for their program. Without any knowledge there seems to be writing on the wall with the rumors flying. I feel there will be transfers and attitude problems with the players remaining of the team and leaving the team. The attitude problems will trickle down through the AAU circuit and HS teams. It wont help UNC recruiting in the future, knowing what will happen to the kids already on the team, who are being asked to leave, or told their schollies will not be renewed. If these recruits come about it will be a bandaid for 4 years, then the aftermath will set it. If the kids mentioned dont go to UNC, it dosnt matter,UNC will be a good team but not a great one. If the recruits do choose UNC I feel the reprecussions of recruting in the future will be tuff to overcome.

Reaction Score

Unfortunately jenny everything points to Mercedes following her friends to North Carolina. I would have loved to see her play at Louisville.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Being a UConn fan we are set. What anybody else does is fine with me and I wish them the best, because I dont see UConn losing a game for a long time. I would love to have DD, Mavunga and Mercedes at UConn. They choose not to come for what ever reason. One thing I am very confident about. UConn has a lock on the FF for the next 4 years, barring injuries.

IMO with whats going on at UNC is not good for their program. Without any knowledge there seems to be writing on the wall with the rumors flying. I feel there will be transfers and attitude problems with the players remaining of the team and leaving the team. The attitude problems will trickle down through the AAU circuit and HS teams. It wont help UNC recruiting in the future, knowing what will happen to the kids already on the team, who are being asked to leave, or told their schollies will not be renewed. If these recruits come about it will be a bandaid for 4 years, then the aftermath will set it. If the kids mentioned dont go to UNC, it dosnt matter,UNC will be a good team but not a great one. If the recruits do choose UNC I feel the reprecussions of recruting in the future will be tuff to overcome.

Tony, you seem to have some knowledge of this situation. Which players currently on the team have been asked to leave because their scholarships are not being renewed? I have not heard of a current player being told that they will not have a scholarship.

I am also curious about the "attitude" trickling down to AAU and high school play. Can you elaborate on how you think that will happen?

Reaction Score
You do realize I never implied that the other players had made decisions based on poor decision making or spur of the moment hysteria, right? I simply said that it was a positive sign about her that she avoided the temptation to get caught up in the moment and commit when those players did. You somehow seem to be reading my comment as a negative about the other girls instead of commending Russell, as it was intended. the title of the thread is "mercedes russell."

Sorry about that. Missed that when I originally read it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That leads me to believe that she may be ready to pull the trigger on committing to UNC, unless she already had plans to be in NC at that time and decided to throw in a campus visit while she is there. If she is truly making a special trip to visit the campus on her own dime then she must be quite serious about UNC.
Mercedes had tentative plans to visit UNC in March. Not sure if she did go and this is a second trip or if she couldn't make it before. HoopGurlz blurb

Reaction Score
Though, I agree with a former poster, that perhaps she is ready to pull the trigger. Otherwise, why not wait and just take the officials on the university's dime once the new school year has begun?

Maybe Ms Russell believes her presence in Chapel Hill along with the other top recruits will bring the huge crowds to Carmichael Auditorium.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
VAU, yes, I thought that as well. But "expecting" to pull a crowd in vs. knowing the loyal fan base is there is two different things. Certainly this recruiting haul will do good things for their crowds, at least one would hope so.

Mercedes did not go on the visit in March to Chapel Hill. She had hoped to go during the NCAA tourney, but did not make it. Of course, at the time, I thought that was telling. I have my own 15 y/o daughter (volleyball player), I know how important her friends are. I also know how quickly friends can change, and I know how quickly previous set decisions can change. These are teenage kids. Anything can happen, though I am no longer confident as I once was re: Mercedes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom