Men's CBB corruption thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Men's CBB corruption thread

Reaction Score
I doubt you'll see Duke or UNC involved in this round, they work in different ways................

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Wow, what a day. I don't know a single fan that is supporting Pitino. Everyone is calling for his head, as well as Jurich. Total cleaning of house.

Whether Pitino knew or not is irrelevant ( not saying he did or didn't know) . The kids deserve more, the fans deserve better.

Supposedly big news coming tomorrow morning. We are all excpecting Pitino and Jurich out tomorrow morning.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
The power of subpoena and the ability to plea bargain are major difference makers in this investigation. The NCAA has neither at its disposal in an investigation. Further, stonewalling the NCAA or outright lying to them isn't a federal offense. Lying to the FBI is. I hope the perpetrators and their enablers get the windshield versus bug treatment. Splat.

Reaction Score
Wow, what a day. I don't know a single fan that is supporting Pitino. Everyone is calling for his head, as well as Jurich. Total cleaning of house.

Whether Pitino knew or not is irrelevant ( not saying he did or didn't know) . The kids deserve more, the fans deserve better.

Supposedly big news coming tomorrow morning. We are all excpecting Pitino and Jurich out tomorrow morning.
Pitino: 'Complete shock' Louisville part of probe

upload_2017-9-26_21-33-1.png

"These allegations come as a complete shock to me," Pitino said in a prepared statement. "If true, I agree with the U.S. Attorneys Office that these third-party schemes, initiated by a few bad actors, operated to commit a fraud on the impacted universities and their basketball programs, including the University of Louisville. Our fans and supporters deserve better and I am committed to taking whatever steps are needed to ensure those responsible are held accountable."

Reaction Score
"These allegations come as a complete shock to me," Pitino said in a prepared statement. "If true, I agree with the U.S. Attorneys Office that these third-party schemes, initiated by a few bad actors, operated to commit a fraud on the impacted universities and their basketball programs, including the University of Louisville. Our fans and supporters deserve better and I am committed to taking whatever steps are needed to ensure those responsible are held accountable."
hysterical-laughter-gif-1.gif

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
interesting article by the always interesting Joe Nocera
The FBI Is Doing the NCAA's Dirty Work
Joe is missing a major point by implying that no laws were broken. These are "public" universities which is what makes the bribery and related charges possible. This not to say that a bribe must involve a public official, just that it makes it easier for the FBI to get involved. Had these same events happened at say a private university like Duke, Joe would be more accurate as this might be an NCAA only matter.

Reaction Score
The Louisville fans that continued to support Pitino after the recent prostitute scandal are finally realizing how dirty he, Jurich and their athletic program are.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Pitino is a scumbag. But I strongly suspect that while Louisville may show him the door, he will walk on any criminal charges, some assistant coach will take the hit and Pitino will ultimately secure another head coaching gig at a school desperate to win and willing to ignore Pitino's ignominious past.

Reaction Score
Happiest guy in America because of this: John Calipari. Imagine, a scandal that doesn't include him. OTOH, maybe he's feeling left out....

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Two things going on with this shocker. First, this is an FBI investigation. For the FBI to hold a news conference and lay out what we know so far, they have solid and incriminating evidence. This evidence is not only going to affect coaches and assistant coaches, this will go up to athletic directors and school presidents. In an FBI investigation, no one is safe. Don't forget, there are big federal dollars that go the colleges/ universities. We are talking fraud, bribery, fraud over state lines, potential money laundering. The IRS will probably be brought in to go over the books. I think we are just hearing the tip of the iceberg.

As to Pitino and Louisville, as more info becomes public, the death penalty is going to become a bigger option. Emmert and the NCAA have little credibility now. If they do the slap on the wrist, they will have no credibility. Part of this is institutional control which seems to be absent at Louisville and other schools. Pitino has to go as does Jurick. Louisville has no choice. Pitino should be banned from ever coaching an NCAA basketball team at any level. People are tired of programs getting wrecked and the coaches walking away with nothing happening to them.

As to ACC, they are going to have to take a serious look at Louisville. And The U - University of Miami, is on the list too. Miami has had several problems over the years with their football and baseball programs. Now basketball.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Two things going on with this shocker. First, this is an FBI investigation. For the FBI to hold a news conference and lay out what we know so far, they have solid and incriminating evidence. This evidence is not only going to affect coaches and assistant coaches, this will go up to athletic directors and school presidents. In an FBI investigation, no one is safe. Don't forget, there are big federal dollars that go the colleges/ universities. We are talking fraud, bribery, fraud over state lines, potential money laundering. The IRS will probably be brought in to go over the books. I think we are just hearing the tip of the iceberg.

As to Pitino and Louisville, as more info becomes public, the death penalty is going to become a bigger option. Emmert and the NCAA have little credibility now. If they do the slap on the wrist, they will have no credibility. Part of this is institutional control which seems to be absent at Louisville and other schools. Pitino has to go as does Jurick. Louisville has no choice. Pitino should be banned from ever coaching an NCAA basketball team at any level. People are tired of programs getting wrecked and the coaches walking away with nothing happening to them.

As to ACC, they are going to have to take a serious look at Louisville. And The U - University of Miami, is on the list too. Miami has had several problems over the years with their football and baseball programs. Now basketball.
Has the University of Miami been implicated in this particular scandal? I see Louisville (not named specifically), Oklahoma State, Auburn, Arizona and USC & South Carolina via previous employment of OSU assistant coach. Keep in mind that Miami is a private university.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don't be surprised if this is happening on a smaller scale in the women's game.
I would be very surprised, in fact shocked if this were happening in WCBB, even on a smaller scale. That would be a pretend shocked either like Pitino is doing.

Reaction Score
Has the University of Miami been implicated in this particular scandal? I see Louisville (not named specifically), Oklahoma State, Auburn, Arizona and USC & South Carolina via previous employment of OSU assistant coach. Keep in mind that Miami is a private university.
Yes, looks like a bidding war with Arizona near $150K for 5-star Nassir Little.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Well, it looks like Louisville has had enough. Pitino & Jurich are out. It's about "bleeping" time.
yes. wondering whether Louisville somehow decided that this latest didn't really come as such a big shock to Rick. :rolleyes:
Time for Rutgers' AD to reach out to him for WCBB coach....

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It's been that way for many years. Schools such as UNC, Duke, formerly Arizona, UCLA, and Kentucky could get away with illegal stuff mainly because they were big money makers for the NCAA. Until a package at a post office addressed to Kentucky fell and broke open exposing two thousand dollars that was ear marked for a Kentucky player, the NCAA would not investigate many rumors involving Kentucky cheating. When Quinn Snyder was the head coach at Missouri he was accused by the NCAA of cheating and eventually lost his job. When questioned about it he stated that he was doing the same thing that Duke was doing when he was an assistant there. The NCAA never investigated to see if his comments were true. Bill Walton and Lew Alcindor both stated that Coach Wooden knew or should have known that UCLA players were getting paid by a booster the whole time they were there. The NCAA never charged the school. They were making too much money. Oklahoma was put on probation because the coach paid for a player's fare to go home during the holidays. He did not want the player to have to stay alone at the school because of a lack of money. Other than Duke or Kansas, no other school would have been able to get away with what UNC has for as long as they have with the NCAA's knowledge, without being put on probation. Look up the history of college teams that have been put on probation and you will see that most of them are the schools that had coaches that did not have good relations with the NCAA such as UNLV and their basketball Coach Tarkanian and many smaller programs. Schools that did not necessarily bring big money to the corrupt NCAA.
Look I hear you however you just painted Duke in with the other KNOWN CULPRITS yet I know of no evidence again Coach K doing or even hinting at improprieties so if you would clarify why Duke? The others are very obvious as you noted. And yes, UConn Men's team has had its share of items as well, though maybe not a single blatant, still a concern and is what hastened Calhoun's exit.
I actually read the filings and it seems pretty detailed on the laws broken that the FBI had the resources to conduct and that the NCAA as an organization could never have investigated or done. I am not saying the NCAA is not without its issues or selfish agenda to keep the money rolling in, however, this is deeper than the NCAA could ever have proved due to its restrictions.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So there are 15-20 top recruits in MBB every year. They get to know each other through AAU ball, tournaments and all star games. Seth Greenberg has been pontificating on ESPN all morning that these kids have "money managers & agents" that manage their careers starting in HS.

A couple simple questions. Do all these top kids have their hands out? A majority of these kids end up at the same schools: KY, Duke, KU, UNC, etc. Is that just about basketball or is there other financial inducements routinely made available through shoe companies, advisors or boosters. Finally, just how widespread is this corruption?

Former MBB coach Fran Frascilla recounted a disturbing and, in his view, frequent scenario today, describing a typical discussion with a representative of one of these recruits as follows: "Coach, the kid loves you guys, but what are you going to do for the family?"

If you're a college coach trying to run a clean program, it has to be disheartening to deal with a system that appears to be rigged from top to bottom.

Reaction Score
So there are 15-20 top recruits in MBB every year. They get to know each other through AAU ball, tournaments and all star games. Seth Greenberg has been pontificating on ESPN all morning that these kids have "money managers & agents" that manage their careers starting in HS.

A couple simple questions. Do all these top kids have their hands out? A majority of these kids end up at the same schools: KY, Duke, KU, UNC, etc. Is that just about basketball or is there other financial inducements routinely made available through shoe companies, advisors or boosters. Finally, just how widespread is this corruption?

Former MBB coach Fran Frascilla recounted a disturbing and, in his view, frequent scenario today, describing a typical discussion with a representative of one of these recruits as follows: "Coach, the kid loves you guys, but what are you going to do for the family?"

If you're a college coach trying to run a clean program, it has to be disheartening to deal with a system that appears to be rigged from top to bottom.
What else really should we expect of the top recruits? After all, they see college as a one-year minor league on the way to fame and fortune in the Bigs. Gotta get in early with agent, contracts, perfect one-year college placement to maximize draft rank, etc. So long as it's a one-and-done, high school players will have complete contempt for the "college year." We're okay enlisting 18 year olds to kill and be killed in the army, but we can't trust them to behave themselves in the NBA. But they're fine for the NBA at 19? System is broken....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom