Men's CBB corruption thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Men's CBB corruption thread

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Muffet said it’s cheating going on in the women’s game too and if you google Geno’s name the article pops up. Why? Most likely jealously. Anyways I feel the real cheating in Women’s Basketball is happening at Texas because of the whole Charli Collier situation. Her statement sounded a bit fishy to me. Karen Aston and Tina Thompson are up to no good over there. That’s why Geno recommended SMU to hire Travis Mays (Geno knows he’s a good person) before that program gets caught.
Wow, slow down there flncfan! You can't just call out Texas and Coach Aston for cheating because a young 17 year old changed her mind. The EXACT observation you made that Geno's name was linked out of jealousy is one you are doing out of spite with CCollier leaving.
Ashton's history as an assistant and prior head coach show someone who can recruit, who left a program to be near her older parents and who seems to be very nurturing to her team. Almost any program can show potential for infractions if they are successful- Louisville women's team for example and the number of offers he makes to players as on example. Not necessarily true though. Simply put, in the woman's game, there isn't enough potential money to be earned by a company to warrant real cheating like MBB.
Petty rivalry may lead to questionable tactics but outright fraud and cheating, probably not, IMO.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Quin was at Missouri from 1999-2006, Something reported to the media in that time frame is probably a few google clicks away. What was it that Quin said?
If your theory is that Quin saw recruiting violations at Duke learned from them and replicated them at Missouri, I'm not buying it. Quinn was also an assistant coach in the NBA before he was an assistant at Duke.
You buy what you want to buy. You act like you think you know everything. I live here in St. Louis and I know first hand what the media reported. What does it mean that he was an assistant in the NBA. In fact he was an assistant in the NBA AFTER he left Missouri and people in Missouri were very surprised that he was hired. His comments about what he saw happening at Duke was just one of the reasons people here are glad he gor fi

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I don't know what happened at Duke while Snyder was there. I am saying what Snyder told the media in St. Louis and Columbia. I would think he would know better than you do because he observed it.

You stated this in your previous post. I spent 30 minutes Googling to search for any article or correspondence to verify/refute what you said. I could not find a single article on the subject. If you have links, please share. You have posted the claim in at least three posts in this thread, but I have yet to see any articles, links, sources, etc. (not attacking you, just pointing out that you have repeatedly made the statement but have not posted corroborating material).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You are certainly entitled to your beliefs...perhaps it is correct. But I'd say the best opinions are formed by the facts we know.

What we know is the money being paid to the UL players was not coming directly from Louisville but from Adidas. This is because Adidas wanted the marketing for its brand and it benefited Adidas to have its brand worn by the best players on the biggest stages at the premier programs.

It also states in the FBI affidavit, during a recorded conversation with Adidas executives, a University of Miami recruit's payment offer was being raised since an "unnamed" apparel competitor was coming in at a higher offer. This unnamed apparel company is likely Nike which is also supported by the FBI subpoena issued on Nike AAU the following day.

What are Nike's biggest college brands in men's basketball? What programs would Nike most like to have wear their apparel? What players are most likely to go to the NBA and wear Nike products at the next level? Why would Nike hurt itself by paying players to go to schools that weren't its best marketing options?

Bottom line...nothing indicates this was a pure Louisville issue. This is starting to sound more like an industry practice involving multiple shoe companies. The better question is which programs have benefited the most under the current system.
226 words in your post correctly indicting the shoe companies and Louisville and Miami. Zero words indicting Duke-also correct & well done.
While Pitino is considered a huge scalp by the FBI, Duke and K would be considered a much bigger scalp if the wrong doing ever existed. Considered that Coach K was coach of the Olympic team and USA basketball is a Nike sponsored non-profit organization. I may eventually be proven wrong about Duke specifically, in general though I refuse to believe within the coaching profession that there aren't a few successful coaches that abide by the rules. Jay Wright at Villanova and Bill Self at Kansas are two that immediately come to mind-AFTER coach K of course!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You buy what you want to buy. You act like you think you know everything. I live here in St. Louis and I know first hand what the media reported. What does it mean that he was an assistant in the NBA. In fact he was an assistant in the NBA AFTER he left Missouri and people in Missouri were very surprised that he was hired. His comments about what he saw happening at Duke was just one of the reasons people here are glad he gor fi

That's not an act! :D
Quin Synder was an assistant coach for the Los Angeles clippers 1992-1993.
He was then an assistant coach at Duke from 1993-1999.
Google is your friend and can easily help you look up what was reported in the media.

Last edited by a moderator:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have no idea what schools did or did not do. I have literally no way of verifying if Pitino, or Calipari, or any of the other coaches at top programs have been doing illegal things. I DO think there is a lot of "funny stuff" that goes on in MCBB. I DO think that the head coaches want to do everything in their power to keep their hands clean. It would not surprise me if they gave their underlings carte blanche to do whatever it takes to land top recruits, with the caveat request to NOT tell the HC's the specifics. Plausible deniability with no paper trail other than someone's word.

I'm glad that Pitino got caught. I hope others do as well. I'm not one who thinks college athletes should be paid. They literally have their entire education paid for including room, board, etc. That's part of their scholarship. But this whole thing is way more complex. It's even worse in football, where the $ are magnified even above hoops.

In the past there were "discussions" that maybe the top P5 conferences would break away from the NCAA and do their own thing which would then allow for stipends for student athletes. It's going to get worse before it gets better, but that's about all I know for sure!

Of course, you can try Googling for answers, but if every topic on earth was able to be Googled, the Pentagon, CIA, FBI, etc. would be in big trouble. I'm sure there are many interesting subjects you wouldn't be able to get answers to simply by "Googling" them. Still, let's hope the reporters and investigators can get to the bottom of it all!

Side note - I've known Cam for years and while he unfortunately is a Duke MCBB fan, he's also a great guy who knows a LOT of people. I've gotten lots of great nuggets in the past from him regarding WCBB and he's a fountain of info. When he says something, you can pretty much take it to the bank...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If Google is not the answer then perhaps he can state the type of media. All Newspapers and television stations have this called an archive open to the public. Really the Pentagon and CIA? Wait they have archives too come to think of it.

Reaction Score
Side note - I've known Cam for years and while he unfortunately is a Duke MCBB fan, he's also a great guy who knows a LOT of people. I've gotten lots of great nuggets in the past from him regarding WCBB and he's a fountain of info. When he says something, you can pretty much take it to the bank...
Exactly what people seem to be doing. Perhaps not the best idiom to use in this case.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
You stated this in your previous post. I spent 30 minutes Googling to search for any article or correspondence to verify/refute what you said. I could not find a single article on the subject. If you have links, please share. You have posted the claim in at least three posts in this thread, but I have yet to see any articles, links, sources, etc. (not attacking you, just pointing out that you have repeatedly made the statement but have not posted corroborating material).
I don't know how to post links. The article appeared in the St. Louis Post Dispatch the season Snyder was fired. I have no reason to make up a story. Also, I don't think Google has ALL information. If I knew how to post links I would do it for you.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
That's not an act! :D
Quin Synder was an assistant coach for the Los Angeles clippers 1992-1993.
He was then an assistant coach at Duke from 1993-1999.
Google is your friend and can easily help you look up what was reported in the media.
I don't need Google. I know what I read in the St. Louis Post Dispatch the season Snyder got relieved of his job at Mizzou. I don't have to prove anything to you and if you think Google will supply you with answers to all things then you are mistaken. I have no reason to make up a story about Snyder. Because of his statement some sports personalities in St. Louis turned against Duke, including the St. Louis Billikens men's basketball announcer. Believe what you want. I'm done with it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't need Google. I know what I read in the St. Louis Post Dispatch the season Snyder got relieved of his job at Mizzou. I don't have to prove anything to you and if you think Google will supply you with answers to all things then you are mistaken. I have no reason to make up a story about Snyder. Because of his statement some sports personalities in St. Louis turned against Duke, including the St. Louis Billikens men's basketball announcer. Believe what you want. I'm done with it.
Maybe trying another search engine like bing or yahoo if you don't like google. The St. Louis Post Dispatch archive also has a search feature.
top right of this page.
Search St. Louis Post-Dispatch & STLtoday.com
To be clear it is not that I think you have to prove something to me it is that I think you can't because it never happened.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Fall brackets...

PastedGraphic-1 copy.jpg

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Maybe trying another search engine like bing or yahoo if you don't like google. The St. Louis Post Dispatch archive also has a search feature.
top right of this page.
Search St. Louis Post-Dispatch & STLtoday.com
To be clear it is not that I think you have to prove something to me it is that I think you can't because it never happened.
You must be REALLY special to be hundreds of miles from Missouri and be able to tell what did or did not happen here. You go CoCo. There is no one like you.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Update - The U of Louisville trustees have started proceedings to terminate HC Rick Pitino "for cause." It appears that Louisville has no intention of paying Pitino any portion of the $44 million that his lawyer says is due to his client under his contract. Stay tuned.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Update - The U of Louisville trustees have started proceedings to terminate HC Rick Pitino "for cause." It appears that Louisville has no intention of paying Pitino any portion of the $44 million that his lawyer says is due to his client under his contract. Stay tuned.
Additionally, Louisville is also "examining" the 10 year $160 Million deal with Adidas.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Wonder if McGraw couldn't say what the cheating was? The information could still be under investigation.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Wonder if McGraw couldn't say what the cheating was? The information could still be under investigation.

If that's the case, the little gnome shouldn't be talking about it at all.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what schools did or did not do. I have literally no way of verifying if Pitino, or Calipari, or any of the other coaches at top programs have been doing illegal things. I DO think there is a lot of "funny stuff" that goes on in MCBB. I DO think that the head coaches want to do everything in their power to keep their hands clean. It would not surprise me if they gave their underlings carte blanche to do whatever it takes to land top recruits, with the caveat request to NOT tell the HC's the specifics. Plausible deniability with no paper trail other than someone's word.

I'm glad that Pitino got caught. I hope others do as well. I'm not one who thinks college athletes should be paid. They literally have their entire education paid for including room, board, etc. That's part of their scholarship. But this whole thing is way more complex. It's even worse in football, where the $ are magnified even above hoops.

In the past there were "discussions" that maybe the top P5 conferences would break away from the NCAA and do their own thing which would then allow for stipends for student athletes. It's going to get worse before it gets better, but that's about all I know for sure!

Of course, you can try Googling for answers, but if every topic on earth was able to be Googled, the Pentagon, CIA, FBI, etc. would be in big trouble. I'm sure there are many interesting subjects you wouldn't be able to get answers to simply by "Googling" them. Still, let's hope the reporters and investigators can get to the bottom of it all!

Reaction Score

This Louisville program is off the rails.... it always has been on edge.... with several run ins over the years.... but on the trifecta of big problems for Pitino

1. extortion attempt 2009.... problem with a lady who was not his wife.... a very private issue which became public.... too bad.... but it is a private issue

2. Sex and prostitute issue..... it is beyond me how he escaped this..... just by stonewalling and saying "I had no knowledge of it".... his team is 15 players only... and his staff is 3? One of whom set this whole thing up and never said one word to Pitino ... Pitino never ever heard one word about anything going on OK I am on a college campus in whatever capacity.... and there is sex going on quite openly in a major dormitory.... and prostitutes coming and going.... and nobody knows about it outside the team.... i read some of the reports..... it was not in a locked cordoned off portion of the dorm it was very much in the open..... i know there is a still-going investigation of this.... but still you would think 3 years is a long time to deliberate on this....

3. The present scandal..... OK here we are again Pitino.... "I had no knowledge of any wrongdoing.... no player payoffs or undue influencing".... OK Rick you are lily white again.... The FBI investigation has released information claiming that a coach, identified as you, through wiretaps apparently, verbally approved $100,000 to go to this recruit......

Pitino should be out of basketball and Louisville should be given death penalty..... a year or two is fine with me ... long enough to disrupt its program... and oh yes take away that 2013 championship....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom