Men's CBB corruption thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Men's CBB corruption thread

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Why is that the case? Just curious.
It's been that way for many years. Schools such as UNC, Duke, formerly Arizona, UCLA, and Kentucky could get away with illegal stuff mainly because they were big money makers for the NCAA. Until a package at a post office addressed to Kentucky fell and broke open exposing two thousand dollars that was ear marked for a Kentucky player, the NCAA would not investigate many rumors involving Kentucky cheating. When Quinn Snyder was the head coach at Missouri he was accused by the NCAA of cheating and eventually lost his job. When questioned about it he stated that he was doing the same thing that Duke was doing when he was an assistant there. The NCAA never investigated to see if his comments were true. Bill Walton and Lew Alcindor both stated that Coach Wooden knew or should have known that UCLA players were getting paid by a booster the whole time they were there. The NCAA never charged the school. They were making too much money. Oklahoma was put on probation because the coach paid for a player's fare to go home during the holidays. He did not want the player to have to stay alone at the school because of a lack of money. Other than Duke or Kansas, no other school would have been able to get away with what UNC has for as long as they have with the NCAA's knowledge, without being put on probation. Look up the history of college teams that have been put on probation and you will see that most of them are the schools that had coaches that did not have good relations with the NCAA such as UNLV and their basketball Coach Tarkanian and many smaller programs. Schools that did not necessarily bring big money to the corrupt NCAA.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's been that way for many years. Schools such as UNC, Duke, formerly Arizona, UCLA, and Kentucky could get away with illegal stuff mainly because they were big money makers for the NCAA. Until a package at a post office addressed to Kentucky fell and broke open exposing two thousand dollars that was ear marked for a Kentucky player, the NCAA would not investigate many rumors involving Kentucky cheating. When Quinn Snyder was the head coach at Missouri he was accused by the NCAA of cheating and eventually lost his job. When questioned about it he stated that he was doing the same thing that Duke was doing when he was an assistant there. The NCAA never investigated to see if his comments were true. Bill Walton and Lew Alcindor both stated that Coach Wooden knew or should have known that UCLA players were getting paid by a booster the whole time they were there. The NCAA never charged the school. They were making too much money. Oklahoma was put on probation because the coach paid for a player's fare to go home during the holidays. He did not want the player to have to stay alone at the school because of a lack of money. Other than Duke or Kansas, no other school would have been able to get away with what UNC has for as long as they have with the NCAA's knowledge, without being put on probation. Look up the history of college teams that have been put on probation and you will see that most of them are the schools that had coaches that did not have good relations with the NCAA such as UNLV and their basketball Coach Tarkanian and many smaller programs. Schools that did not necessarily bring big money to the corrupt NCAA.
Agree completely. UCONN also doesn't seem to make out well with the NCAA either.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Damn it. That's my favorite movie line ever. I use it every chance I get. I can't believe it didn't occur to me to use it here. :(
By the way, Ingrid Bergman's birthday anniversary was 9/29 and Claude Rains' is 10/10. Happy to both, and Salud! to one of the great movies of all time.

Reaction Score
giphy.gif

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The NCAA will definitely take the easy way out & wait for the FBI to conclude it's investigation/prosecution before doing anything.

The NCAA learned about this investigation and indictments today. Nothing to do but sit and watch the feds do what the NCAA had zero interest in doing. Mark Emmert has probably taken a few trips to the john today.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Pat Forde live in Louisville and has covered the Cardinals for years, including with the Courier-Journal. He's about as close to a college sports program as a journalist can be. The position he takes in this column is itself a bombshell. Wow.

Reaction Score

ohhhhh the blue bloods are hardly innocent........... Calipari is a great recruiter but do you really think there's nothing going on under the table at Kentucky? One of the funniest stories involved Duke's Lance Thomas and his fight over $80,000 in jewelry................NCAA found no wrongdoing there because nobody would talk.......

Lance Thomas Obtained Nearly $100,000 Worth of Jewelry at Duke, Did Not Commit NCAA Violation

Reaction Score
True, but I just read the adidas complaint and Coach-2 in the complaint appears to be Pitino. He's not charged ...yet, but allegations in the complaint surely suggest he knew about the payments to Bowen's family.
It was hilarious listening to Pitino this spring saying how "surprised" he was that Bowen just fell into our laps. I hope this goes all the way through and gets him and Boeheim, Williams, Calipari, and all of them. Good thing Calhoun's not still around. Men's BB has been a cesspool for at least 30 years.

Reaction Score
It was hilarious listening to Pitino this spring saying how "surprised" he was that Bowen just fell into our laps. I hope this goes all the way through and gets him and Boeheim, Williams, Calipari, and all of them. Good thing Calhoun's not still around. Men's BB has been a cesspool for at least 30 years.

What really amazed me was just how blatant these schools would be with their payoffs. There are more 19 year old kids, that never worked a day in their lives, driving $80,000 Lexus' on college campuses than any other place in the world.

Reaction Score
What really amazed me was just how blatant these schools would be with their payoffs. There are more 19 year old kids, that never worked a day in their lives, driving $80,000 Lexus' on college campuses than any other place in the world.
And Beamers and Benzes. The CFB and MBB players' parking lots are like car shows at some of these P5 schools.

Reaction Score
Wo
Don't be surprised if this is happening on a smaller scale in the women's game.
Would not surprise me at all. Fastest way to improve a program is to buy some players - and for all the good the AAU may do in the game, there's too much "shoe" money floating around.

Reaction Score
The NCAA will definitely take the easy way out & wait for the FBI to conclude it's investigation/prosecution before doing anything.
Heard an interview (don't know with whom) on NPR where the guy said "this time it's different." Before now, these types of violations would result in the person being fired and the school suffering penalties. But this time: it's the FBI. It's a criminal offense. I'm not sure anyone was ready for that, and it may well send a message.

Reaction Score
Heard an interview (don't know with whom) on NPR where the guy said "this time it's different." Before now, these types of violations would result in the person being fired and the school suffering penalties. But this time: it's the FBI. It's a criminal offense. I'm not sure anyone was ready for that, and it may well send a message.
Yep there will be no BS about bylaws and Committees on Infractions and protecting blue bloods this time, and there's nothing Mark Emmert can do about it. Taking away one's liberty versus a recruit and post-season play should have a sobering effect.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom