• 25-39

Votes: 228 39.9%
  • Under 25

Votes: 40 7.0%

• Total voters

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Earliest memories were watching Corny Thompson and Mike McKay on TV.

Remember going to several Connecticut Mutual Classic games at HCC. One year some hot headed coach from Boston brought in a team with a kid named Reggie Lewis. All I kept hoping was one day UConn could get a coach that good and be as good as that team.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
25 (turning 26 in 2.5 weeks). First memory is losing in the Elite Eight to Maryland, and when my dad and I would play hoops in the driveway, I would be Caron Butler and he would jokingly be Johnny Selvie. First vivid memory is the 04 title run, and since then, been an addict like everyone else here.

Would your dad step on the grass to simulate being Johnnie Time?

Reaction Score
26. I have memories of being little and being at games and mad they weren't doubling the other teams scores... I vaguely remember the 99 natty but i dont think i cared about it much then. The 04 natty run I was very much into

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I'm 58, Tony Hanson, Al Weston, Joey Whelton and John Thomas from Bogalusa Louisiana were my first favorites. I would always cheer for the NVL guys. Abro, Hanson, Murray Williams, Edmund Sanders. Me and some buddies had a couple of drinks with Edmund before a UConn game at the Civic center a few years back. He is a really nice guy.

Reaction Score

I started following UConn hoops in the mid 70’s…Hanson, Abromaitis, Whelton, LaVigne, Carr… I was 12-13 years old. My dad had gotten his masters at UConn in the late 1960’s and had always told me stories of Bialosuknia and Corley and about calling the Field House on a Friday afternoon and having them “hold a few tickets” for that night’s game, then driving up with a buddy after work. I would later find out, that “driving up to Storrs” had included a decent amount of Schlitz and Carling Black Label along the way.

I recall a warm spring Saturday in March 1976, shooting baskets at @beerfan 's house while listening to UConn beat Providence in the ECAC tourney and would head to the NCAA’s.

I remember going to a 2nd round NIT game at the HCC vs Minnesota. Future Knick Trent Tucker lit us up for a
gazillion. Bad game.

I remember watching BE games on CPTV all through the 80’s and then finally finding joy with the NIT title in 1988.

In 1989, while sitting at Rascal’s Pub (the old Oakwood) in West Hartford, my lifelong friend @beerfan asked if I’d be interested in “season tix” at the HCC. I think it was seven games back then. His family were longtime season ticket holders with some very nice seats., I think I paid the tab that night and we were even. It turned out to be the perfect season to start going to games. I remember Laettner’s double clutch jumper that killed me. I had never felt so bad after a sports loss. Even as a Red Sox fan. I never thought the Dream Season would end until we won it all. So that started 37 years of season ticket packages and all the craziness that we all cherish.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
64. First memories are in the Field House watching Earl Kelley and Cliffy. Crowded, packed bleachers. Walking courtside right next to the players & coaches and being amazed at how big they were.

Reaction Score
49. I became addicted to listening to games on the radio because my parents limited my TV time during the school year especially when coming back from sports practices. So I ended up tuning into WTIC during the Earl Kelley years during the fall/spring and Yankees games during the baseball season. We didn't have cable tv. I tuned into a few Celtics games but I couldn't stand listening to Johnny Most. I loved listening to Clyde Frazier on the Knicks broadcasts though but at that time everyone, including me, was mesmerized by watching games on TV in the Michael Jordan era. I could only listen to the Knicks broadcasts during the night though - too much static during the day.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Heh, median age of respondents on the women's board poll is about 63.

For this poll, it's about 38.
I keep telling you guys that post on the women’s board - when you post there, it’s like having a conversation with your dad or grandpa. It’s not like a bunch of young guys sitting around to talk sports. Different demographic, different attitudes

Reaction Score
I'm 33, too young for the Dream Season but started following right before the Ray Allen era. Great time to become a fan.
Same exact thing with me. Earliest UConn memories is ray at msg vs a.i and GTown

Reaction Score

First followed UConn when I got there in 1965.

Saw 2 years of Wes with his smooth form and accurate shot. Enjoyed the silky moves of Bill Corley, and the true grit of Hesford, Ritter, and the hustle and 100 per cent effort of Penders.

The competition was not what it is today, but the players left it all out on the floor.

Last 2 years were losing seasons, but the 1968-69 year with the 5-19 record was the worst. Next year with Dee Rowe, they turned the program in a positive direction.

Like listening to George Ehrlich and later the renowned Marty Glickman.

Never knew the BY existed until last year. Wonder what would have been said about those teams from the early years , I mentioned above.

Reaction Score
I became addicted during the Toby Kimball days, one of my favorite players ever was Dan "the spider" Hesford, 6'3" who would out rebound and out hustle everybody. My first game was in 1967 with Bialasuknia lighting up New Hampshire with 42 points. Man, I did not think it could get any better than that. I am not the sports fan I once was, don't watch football, hockey or the NBA, still follow baseball. But my addiction to my team has never wavered and never will. When I refer to the team as us or we, my wife will often ask me what # I am. She has learned what my priorities are. Thank you Jim Calhoun, the GOAT of college basketball coaches.

Reaction Score
The results are very in line what I expected here given how the discussions go in the threads, especially if they stray to topics outside of basketball.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I love that I'm still in that group with 25 year olds, which is right b/c I'm a "millenial" but it feels great. Not used to seeing those crooked numbers next to my name!

I'm 37 by the way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The '88 NIT run was my freshman year of high school. I started attending games the following year with my older brothers. Then the Dream Season happened the year after that.

I still find it bizarre that following a college basketball team is such an extreme passion of mine, but here we are.
NIT Championship game coincided with rehearsal in NBHS for Mad/ Jazz Singers at night fo our performance coming up. Well this 1 guy wanted to keep abreast of the Huskies progress in the game. So during the breaks I would pull my minature TV and all the guys would gather around to watch it. I remember all the excitement it brought us knowing the UCONN basketball was ready to hit another level. We were hooting and hollering the whole time with Cliff Robinson leading the way.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I keep telling you guys that post on the women’s board - when you post there, it’s like having a conversation with your dad or grandpa. It’s not like a bunch of young guys sitting around to talk sports. Different demographic, different attitudes

A bunch of grandpas who view the players as their grand-daughters. Making criticisms extra challenging. That's why I don't mind the occasional post about WBB over here.

Reaction Score

First memories are the 2004 season. Was a HUGE Ben Gordon fan. Remember watching the national championship game with my now deceased father in the kitchen. UConn MBB was me and his favorite thing to do together. It started my love for basketball. I have some vague memories before 2004. But in 2004 I fell in love. Thank You for the memories Huskies!

Reaction Score
64. First memories are in the Field House watching Earl Kelley and Cliffy. Crowded, packed bleachers. Walking courtside right next to the players & coaches and being amazed at how big they were.
That place was great on game day. So close to the game and players. I can remember my young son (under 2) sitting on his Dad's lap or mine while smashed on the bleachers.

Reaction Score
That place was great on game day. So close to the game and players. I can remember my young son (under 2) sitting on his Dad's lap or mine while smashed on the bleachers.
If you dropped anything it was not good. LOL

Reaction Score
66 next month by the way. Still love to shoot around and try to play. Made 17 straight free throws recently. Vertical is pretty much non existent. Miss coaching lots, I threaten my 13 year old grandson that I might coach his freshman team. He says all the kids would quit before the end of the first practice. Kids today are soft as tissue.
And the field house was wonderful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom