Memphis is joining the Big East | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Memphis is joining the Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Navy doesnt come on board until 2015 there doesnt have to be a rush to add anyone. why not wait out or BYU? then you could add a team to the western division that is actually in the west. Memphis wasnt going anywhere fast they were available today they would have been available in 2013 when we needed to send out the invite to get a team in the same time as Navy.

I think this is a signal that we are going to have 12 teams before Navy even comes on board. They want to have 12 teams and a championship game going into the first year of the new contract. With Navy not coming until 2015 they don't help with that stated goal. It's all about quantity of inventory and markets at this point. Marrinato has stated that they may not stop at 12 and this move of adding Memphis strongly suggests that they are going to have at least 14 teams for football by 2015. I think that UNLV or Temple should now be added for 2013 and they should try to bring in either BYU or, more likely, Air Force to compliment Navy in 2015.

Reaction Score
Tranghese was responsible for this decision and again no thought process was implemented. He has single handily destroyed this league and I can't understand why he still has any credibility.

Reaction Score
So the Catholic schools are pretty much developing athletic departments for other conferences?!

Reaction Score
I know I've mentioned this a couple times here before but I've got to do it again now that Memphis is in the Big East.

If this offer is still valid - and maybe it's one of the reasons Memphis WAS added, I don't know - the BE should try to raid one or more of the other BCS conferences to get a football power by offering the money to one or more schools to join. The Big12 would appear to be the most vulnerable but I'd go after anybody and everybody in the other 5 BCSers, got nothing to lose.

Alternatively: 1) I'd offer it to Notre Dame to join for football and then try to get others to join, or 2) I'd offer it to one or more basketball powers in the other BCSers.

Of course, it would be best if all the current football members would commit to the conference for X amount of years too.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's actually more than a little shocking. The league presidents have always screened out Memphis for their academics and their inability to even pretend to abide by a rule book

It's another sign that UL is not long for the league.

My only glimmer of hope rests on the notion that the league thought it needed a basketball school to replace UCONN. Otherwise this is a nightmare. It's like we are hanging out a sign, do you play BCS football? Are you one if the worst universities that do? Come to the Big East!

Reaction Score
Can't wait for Carl Spackler to explain how this will take the TV money to $25 million/year.

Dude. You don't get it. Memphis is in Memphis, and Fed Ex is in Memphis. This means there is one degree of seperation between us and Fed Ex.

Recruits will love this. We are like the new SEC. Plus just think of all those recruits who have been dreaming about playing in the Libert Bowl.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I still don't see the need for 12 football teams and a championship game no one will watch. Put together the best 10 teams you can, instead of projects and reaches like Memphis and SMU. And if the AQ status is gone, so will go Boise.

AQ status is gone. The BCS will never be that overt about the conference hierarchy again. The danger is that unless the BE can schedule and win big games it will become a defacto mid-major where being the only champ with an undefeated season gets you in the playoff as no one-loss BE would ever trump a one-loss from the other 5 conferences.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
AQ status is gone. The BCS will never be that overt about the conference hierarchy again. The danger is that unless the BE can schedule and win big games it will become a defacto mid-major where being the only champ with an undefeated season gets you in the playoff as no one-loss BE would ever trump a one-loss from the other 5 conferences.

Eric Burdon and the Animals had it right: "We gotta get out of this place, If it's the last thing we ever do."

Reaction Score

Yes, true. But so what? It was just that very condition that has led to where we are right now, i.e., the potential for BE exclusion from BCS, or AQ status. Look, when a 4 loss Connecticut goes to the Fiesta Bowl - by right - then you gotta get that things are going to change, quickly. That's not going to happen again. The big boy conferences have been watching it happen out of the BE for too many years, and they just don't want it. Neither do the networks. Follow the money. So, yes, just like Boise, Houston, TCU, and any other non big league member, the BE champ is going to have to all the way to get the invite. From now on. If it makes this any easier, do you think the Rose Bowl wants Indiana to win the B1g? Does the Fiesta want Iowa State? Same thing.

Reaction Score
I know I've mentioned this a couple times here before but I've got to do it again now that Memphis is in the Big East.

If this offer is still valid - and maybe it's one of the reasons Memphis WAS added, I don't know - the BE should try to raid one or more of the other BCS conferences to get a football power by offering the money to one or more schools to join. The Big12 would appear to be the most vulnerable but I'd go after anybody and everybody in the other 5 BCSers, got nothing to lose.

Alternatively: 1) I'd offer it to Notre Dame to join for football and then try to get others to join, or 2) I'd offer it to one or more basketball powers in the other BCSers.

Of course, it would be best if all the current football members would commit to the conference for X amount of years too.

So when the BE does this and every school that is in a better conference says thanks but no thanks the BE ....?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The Rose and Fiesta would have taken Indiana and ISU as champs over a third straight year of OU, and be happy about it.

The ticket city bowl is another story. They would not have wanted Uconn even at 10-2 which they should have been.

Reaction Score
This move doesn't help the football side immediately, but the conference feels like it has bolstered the football side well enough that it's time to add a basketball power.
The Big East, whether some like it or not, cares about basketball. Basketball makes the Big East money, all winter and into the spring. It's not a dead weight time filler, it's a lucrative part of what the Big East does.

With that said, we all hope that Memphis, who has been to five bowl games in the last decade, can regain competitiveness with the extra money, and exposure they are about to receive.

There is also something to be said for adding all sports members that want to be in the league. We need members that want to be here. We need members that will grow with the New Big East.
We've been gashed by the departures of most of our original football members. We can't just flick the switch and fix it all immediately. Some of the additions must be made on the potential they have. Memphis is one of those additions.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If Louisville is leaving why is Pitino saying that bringing Memphis on board had to be done?

Reaction Score
If Louisville is leaving why is Pitino saying that bringing Memphis on board had to be done?
Because it gives Pitino his next coaching job that allows him to remain in the BE, and have even more relaxed academic requirements than he has today. Pitino is not going with UL when they go to the B12. He's all but said that without actually saying it.

Reaction Score
This move doesn't help the football side immediately, but the conference feels like it has bolstered the football side well enough that it's time to add a basketball power.
The Big East, whether some like it or not, cares about basketball. Basketball makes the Big East money, all winter and into the spring. It's not a dead weight time filler, it's a lucrative part of what the Big East does.

With that said, we all hope that Memphis, who has been to five bowl games in the last decade, can regain competitiveness with the extra money, and exposure they are about to receive.

There is also something to be said for adding all sports members that want to be in the league. We need members that want to be here. We need members that will grow with the New Big East.
We've been gashed by the departures of most of our original football members. We can't just flick the switch and fix it all immediately. Some of the additions must be made on the potential they have. Memphis is one of those additions.

I agree. It's a good idea to ignore ESPN during all of this conference business. Their reporting is biased. they have vested interest in the big east failing, and their future investments in the ACC and Big 12 succeeding.

Read this article on the addition of Memphis. It covers all the bases nicely. 61,000 seat football stadium that hosts and annual bowl game. 18,000 seat NBA arena. Fed-Ex. A single media market that effectively replaces BOTH media markets lost in Syracuse and Pittsburgh.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I agree. It's a good idea to ignore ESPN during all of this conference business. Their reporting is biased. they have vested interest in the big east failing, and their future investments in the ACC and Big 12 succeeding.

Read this article on the addition of Memphis. It covers all the bases nicely. 61,000 seat football stadium that hosts and annual bowl game. 18,000 seat NBA arena. Fed-Ex. A single media market that effectively replaces BOTH media markets lost in Syracuse and Pittsburgh.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/

Except that they are probably the 4th most popular team in their own market. UT, Ole Miss and Vandy probably have more support, and Arkansas might as well, certainly among the people in Memphis who are not poor (which is much of the city).

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
LMAO. I was listening to a Memphis radio station listening to the press conference and before the host sent it live to the university, he took phone calls.

One jackwad called in and asked how long the host thought it would be before the Big East basketball tournament was played at FedEx Forum! It wasn't a joke either. He was dead serious.

Jesus Memphis, be glad you're in. Don't overstep your boundaries now.

Reaction Score
Memphis and Lousville was the best CUSA matchup so now it stays in conference. Great move, and frankly I don't see the ACC as a big upgrade move with it's lower level teams as bad as they are.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
LMAO. I was listening to a Memphis radio station listening to the press conference and before the host sent it live to the university, he took phone calls.

One jackwad called in and asked how long the host thought it would be before the Big East basketball tournament was played at FedEx Forum! It wasn't a joke either. He was dead serious.

Jesus Memphis, be glad you're in. Don't overstep your boundaries now.

Wouldn't be suprising at all. ACC MSG bid will blow the Big East's away, and Dolan wants to make the billion dollar improvements back ASAP. Memphis is geographically central to most of the conference teams.

Welcome to the new world. Get comfortable.

Reaction Score
The good news with all these new additions is our Math team and Debate team are going to kill it in the NNBE!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Wouldn't be suprising at all. ACC MSG bid will blow the Big East's away, and Dolan wants to make the billion dollar improvements back ASAP. Memphis is geographically central to most of the conference teams.

Welcome to the ****ty new world. Get comfortable.

THIS.

BETTER.

NOT.

HAPPEN.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Just heard Herbst on 1080 with JoeD, after discussing the APR situation he asked her about Memphis and she was moderately complimentary to them. But really, what else could she say?

Reaction Score
Just heard Herbst on 1080 with JoeD, after discussing the APR situation he asked her about Memphis and she was moderately complimentary to them. But really, what else could she say?
Moderately as in...she wanted to vote no to letting them in but realized she was in super minority...or moderately as in they are a decent add for the BE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom