2025 Recruiting: - Meleek Thomas is set to begin his official visit to UConn and Dan Hurley today (Merged Threads) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Meleek Thomas is set to begin his official visit to UConn and Dan Hurley today (Merged Threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I was under the impression that 2012 was a "success" for Calipari, personally.

My point was he did a great job with the 1996 players. Most did far better than they were expected to. Most of his teams didn't live up to expectations.

Reaction Score
My point was he did a great job with the 1996 players. Most did far better than they were expected to. Most of his teams didn't live up to expectations.
Fair. I say the same thing to friends that consider Cal a good coach. He hasn’t done a great coaching job since 96’. He was pretty good a few years since, but he underperformed the talent on his roster almost every year.

Reaction Score
The offense on that UMass team was just shoot and crash the offensive boards and then beat the crap out of teams on the defensive end. And it worked

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Is this thread about Meleek or the Squid? Interested in news about our recruit, not PT Barnum.
Is it really a Boneyard thread if it doesn’t go off track?

Season 4 Al GIF by Sony Pictures Television

Reaction Score
And the players you are talking about would be lottery picks if they went to any school. The can recruit but as far as player development I am not so sure. Where are the Harralson twins these days?
THIS. How people don’t get this is beyond me. He does literally nothing to improve their draft status.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Back to Maleek. Not sure if we’ve landed an OTE kid before. But if we can land him this OTE, top 10 talent to kickoff this 2025 class then the ceiling is really the roof for us recruiting wise from here on out.

Reaction Score
Current "Good" (Personal Choice) Players in the NBA by Other Blue Bloods.

Kansas
Joel Embiid
Andrew Wiggins
Kelly Oubre
Gradey Dick

UNC
Cole Anthony
Harrison Barnes
Cam Johnson
Coby White
Walker Kessler

Duke
Grayson Allen
Marvin Bagley
Paolo Banchero
RJ Barrett
Brandon Ingram
Kyrie Irving
Jalen Johnson
Jayson Tatum
Gary Trent Jr
Dereck Lively
Mark Williams
Zion Williamson

UK
Bam Adebayo
Devin Booker
ANthony Davis
De'Aaron Fox
SGA
Tyler Hero
Keldon Johnson
Tyrese Maxey
Malik Monk
Jamal Murray
Immanuel Quicley
Julius Randle
Shaedon Sharpe
KAT
PJ Washington
That kentucky list is INSANE

Reaction Score
Calipari's only successful season as a coach was 1996. Camby was bought and pd for, but the rest of the players played far better than they did when recruited.

Every other year he was little more than a used car salesman who more often than not sold at a discount.
1996 was a low point for me in UConn basketball. A UMass fan called into WTIC and said Calhoun would never get to the Final 4. I wish I had his phone number.

Reaction Score
1996 was a low point for me in UConn basketball. A UMass fan called into WTIC and said Calhoun would never get to the Final 4. I wish I had his phone number.
1996's ending sucked for sure. I remember thinking after UConn winning the BE regular season 3 straight years and then finally the BET that they would finally breakthrough to the Final Four. When they lost to Miss St. I remember thinking, "is UConn ever going to get to the Final Four, let alone win it all?". After they lost, all I remember was rooting for UMass to lose and instead they ended up having their First Final Four and having a banner season, a season I wanted Ray Allen and the Huskies to have.

My how times have changed. UMass is irrelevant, and Calipari is fighting for dear life to be thought of an elite coach and program builder, while UConn is now considered the best program in the country.

Reaction Score
1996's ending sucked for sure. I remember thinking after UConn winning the BE regular season 3 straight years and then finally the BET that they would finally breakthrough to the Final Four. When they lost to Miss St. I remember thinking, "is UConn ever going to get to the Final Four, let alone win it all?". After they lost, all I remember was rooting for UMass to lose and instead they ended up having their First Final Four and having a banner season, a season I wanted Ray Allen and the Huskies to have.

My how times have changed. UMass is irrelevant, and Calipari is fighting for dear life to be thought of an elite coach and program builder, while UConn is now considered the best program in the country.
1996, 1994, and 2006 in that order were the darkest times of being a fan IMO. At least we had won two titles by 2006.

Reaction Score
THIS. How people don’t get this is beyond me. He does literally nothing to improve their draft status.
This +. In 2006 the NBA changed the draft rule to one year after graduation. If my kid was getting indications he’d be drafted 1st round, there’s no way I’d let a college coach change his play or risk injury. If the squid wants to land lame duck players then go for it.

Reaction Score
Back to Meleek. Not sure we've landed a recruit whose name we can spell in quite a while.
As pointed out by a few here, someone above spelled his name Maleek. So maybe not. We seem to have a problem mixing up "a" and "e". Tristan instead of Tristen. Aiden instead of Aidan. We'll get there at some point. :)

Reaction Score

Reading through your post, it mentioned the Miss St loss to Eric Dampier. That one ranks in the top 5 of my worst crushing defeats in the tournament. Miss St. wasn’t that talented and I was waiting for us to turn it on but I knew we just didn’t have it that day.

The others:
Both losses to Duke. Early 1990s
Florida Donyell’s 2 free throw misses
NC with Vince Carter, Antawn Jameson. Though we might have had a chance but the game was in Carolina and we were exhausted getting to this game.

Reaction Score
Reading through your post, it mentioned the Miss St loss to Eric Dampier. That one ranks in the top 5 of my worst crushing defeats in the tournament. Miss St. wasn’t that talented and I was waiting for us to turn it on but I knew we just didn’t have it that day.

The others:
Both losses to Duke. Early 1990s
Florida Donyell’s 2 free throw misses
NC with Vince Carter, Antawn Jameson. Thought we might have had a chance but the game was in Carolina and we were exhausted getting to this game.
UNC didn’t crush me because I put that in the same bucket as UCLA in 1995. I knew we’d have most of the core back the next year. Plus the UNC game was effectively a road game. The Duke game in 1990 hurt because the Final Four was so close, but the whole season was an unexpected magic carpet ride. The 1994 and 1996 teams carried much greater expectations and were better teams than they lost to. We would have won 8 or 9 times out of 10. Unfortunately both caught us in those 1 or 2 type exception games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom